Sun shows its hand with enterprise software and Linux desktop

Discussions

News: Sun shows its hand with enterprise software and Linux desktop

1. Sun rolled out new software products including a desktop software package that takes aim at Microsoft. The "Java Desktop System" (previously known as Project Madhatter) is a Linux system with software bundled, such as, GAIM, Evolution, StarOffice, Mozilla and Real Player. Is the only item that makes it a "Java Desktop System" the fact that it has J2SE installed? Sun also unveiled a new pricing model for the Sun ONE enterprise stack.

In the press
    ---------------
    Sun shows its hand with enterprise software and Linux desktop

Sun's Desktop Linux Gets Real

Sun's software push to star at confab

McNealy Announces Software Price War

View the Sun site that described the Sun Java Desktop System

View the Press Release

Threaded Messages (14)

2. Is the only item that makes it a "Java Desktop System" the fact that it has J2SE

> installed?

It looks like the only "asset" Sun has left is the Java "brand". Now lets stick it onto everything. Guess what's next? How about a Coca Cola style rebranding? Sun is dead. Long live the Java Company (TM).

- Gerald
  3. Linux (Suse) = Java Desktop System[ Go to top ]

What a dilution of brand name !

Soon to follow :

Java Email Server = SunMail
    Java Server OS = Solaris

Looks like a copy of win95

Copyright law suit soon ?

chameleon
  4. Linux (Suse) = Java Desktop System[ Go to top ]

Well it does look like windows (in terms of look and feel). Can microsoft sue for this? Curious?

Cheers

Smythe
  5. loser is loser![ Go to top ]

Sun = Loser
    MS = Winner

Want more fights? come on, together with your loser friends!!
  6. This would just have to be the start[ Go to top ]

IMHO - the fact that "The Java Desktop" box doesn't have that much Java in it yet, is not that big of a deal and really shouldn't be that big of a surprise to anyone seriously involved here.

After all we've pretty much proven that rewriting the entire app stack in Java is not a task you really want to do. And having a solid set of machines with working J2SE is not something to be taken lightly either. In particular for the environment where TJD are aimed at -- fixed level functionality operators. Basically those mundane 'drones' who fill out forms all day. And replacing their existing applications with java based ones (using Java as richer network clients )are more likely in an intranet, than the general public.

And yes -- Java the brand has got be pushed. MS is pushing .NET as a brand. If you want to seriously fight in the business game - you've got to win the branding war. Remeber perception is 90% of the truth -- or something like that :).
  7. Well if it's another nice tidy Linux version I can try next to my Redhat, SuSE, Mandrake, Knoppix et al then great, at least it's not another MicroSoft OS!

Sign me up for the beta program Sun!

-John-
  8. The GUI looks AWFULLLLL[ Go to top ]

For heaven's sake. Why can't SUN hire professional desingers.
    Every GUI they have ever made form "Motif to Metal L&F" , kind of stares at you and asks you to "please kick it hard, real hard". I am primarily a Swing programmer it is really the likes of Alloy L&F and Skin L&F which have saved my job.
    <br/>
    Compare SUN's Linux to Redhat 9.0. Redhat's new bluecurve look has really impressed even the die-hard Windows fans, including my uncle.
    <br/>
    I think everybody realizes by now , that "Sun's guis have always lacked that essetial COOL factor.". I know that OSX was not built in day, but even if they manage something half as nice as OSX, their Linux could really do well :)
  9. I couldn't agree more..[ Go to top ]

I believe that Microsoft is at it's most vulnerable stage in its history, Apple should be able to take advbantage but people have wrongly decided that Apple make very expensive computers for 'arty farty types' this means that Linux is the only real player that can hope to put a big dent in MS's market. What a pity then that Linux is so disjointed, so much so that the people that you need to port their portfolio's to your platform to make it a success, the Adobe's and Macromedia's of this World decide that it's a mess and we'll stick with our bread and butter markets. Look at the debacle we have with Gnome Vs KDE etc.. no two applications look the same, Linux is a big mess.

Step in Sun, a company who potentially can take the Linux kernel and do with it what Apple did with a FreeBSD based kernel and make a commercially successful product.. What does Sun do.. they gives us this sad excuse for an OS, it looks appalling, it really isn't anything that we haven't seen before and it's the last nail in the coffin for a company whose management are so inept as to be unbelievable.

Despite the fact that they Sun would like us to think so, Scott McNealy is no Steve Job's that's for sure. I suggest that those of you who aren't too arrogant to listen, go and take a look at Apple, the G5 is a great product and OSX is a developers dream and contrary to popular opinion they Dollar for Dollar they are fantastic value for money.
  10. Well said[ Go to top ]

I really do think, that Apple needs to drive home the point that beneath those
    sexy widgets lies is a "Rock Solid Unix", which does not re-boot, does not crash and does not force ordinary people like you and me to spend fortunes on Zone Alarm, McAfee, Spy Checker..., and finally what about making Macs available at a more sensible price in Europe and for us in the Asia Pacific region as well.

Regarding the disjointed look of Linux, yes you are right, it is really a pain in the a.. to explain to people that there actually two Desktop Environments and that they could switch form one to another with "switchdesk". Of course it looks more and more likely that eventually Gnome may have the last laugh. The idea of merging the two is like asking Liverpool and Everton to share the same stadium!

Anyway this is a link to a JDJ review by their editor.
    http://www.sys-con.com/Java/article.cfm?id=2224

Parting Shot: James Gosling is using a Mac. Says he is delighted with its stability. Don't believe me, go to java.net and take a look at his weblog.
    http://weblogs.java.net/jag/
  11. Well said[ Go to top ]

I really do think, that Apple needs to drive home the point that beneath those sexy widgets lies is a "Rock Solid Unix", which does not re-boot, does not crash and does not force ordinary people like you and me to spend fortunes on Zone Alarm, McAfee, Spy Checker...

Why does it matter whether it's UNIX or not? Surely all that counts is the second half of the sentence: "does not re-boot, does not crash and does not force ordinary people like you and me to spend fortunes on Zone Alarm, McAfee, Spy Checker..."

Desktop operating systems need to be targetted at ordinary, non-technical people to be successful - they need to be targetted at Sharon and Tracy in the typing pool. These are the kind of people who wouldn't know UNIX from a hole in the ground, and don't care what it is as long as it looks good, it's reliable and it's easy to use. That's where Linux falls down at the moment because it's just not "Sharon-and-Tracy-friendly".

> The idea of merging the two is like asking Liverpool and Everton to share the same stadium!

A point I agree with but which is lost on 99% of the people reading this thread (our trans-atlantic cousins in particular being sadly ignorant of the finer points of real football).

Let me give you an example of what really annoys me about using Linux. You open an application on the desktop and go to open a file and then in the File Open dialog you decide to browse through the directories to find the file you're looking for. In some applications you get a dialog box that looks Windows-ish and you double click to drill down and click the "Up" button to "drill up". In another application you get a box that looks Windows-ish but you single click to drill down and hit the "Back" button to "drill up". In another application you get a dialog box that looks Motif-ish and you double click to drill down and double click the ".." to "drill up". All on the same desktop. It's as if someone somewhere sat down and said, "How can we sabotage this operating system and make sure that non-technical users find it difficult to use?". People may or may not like the Mac, but at least once you learn how to open a file in one application you have a 99% chance of being able to do it the same way in the next application you open.
  12. Yup[ Go to top ]

(our trans-atlantic cousins in particular being sadly ignorant of the finer points of real football).

And it is this same kind of mutability coupled with a narrow understanding of the world, that makes them create (assemble) a Linux and call it the "Java Desktop System".

Regarding the idiosyncrasies of Linux, you are right, but you know another way to look at it is, once "Sharon and Tracy" get used this of kind madness, they may just stop screaming and get back to work.

Of course there is no bloody excuse for this kind of madness to exist/persist.
  13. Yup[ Go to top ]

(our trans-atlantic cousins in particular being sadly ignorant of the finer points of real football).

And it is this same kind of mentality coupled with a narrow understanding of the world, that makes them create (assemble) a Linux and call it the "Java Desktop System".

Regarding the idiosyncrasies of Linux, you are right, but you know another way to look at it is, once "Sharon and Tracy" get used this of kind madness, they may just stop screaming and get back to work.

Of course there is no bloody excuse for this kind of madness to exist/persist.
  14. When Java started very few realized it would go that long. Sun had made a good start with the Desktop.

They need to work more on User Interfaces. They just need to make the GUI more attractive with the better Look and Feel to attract desktop users who will spend bucks to buy the Desktop, Doesn't matter it is Corporate or Home Users.

I agree with someone who said that they should hire professional Designers and make sure that themes are great.

Linux Rocks.

Cheers
    Hari
  15. Looks good to me[ Go to top ]

I think it looks fine. Sure, you can always add more and more glitz and glam but in the end what does it give you? I think Sun put functionality first. Plus, it's a real good package for the price. They can always enhance the look and feel. I find it funny how some people think the most important thing about their computer is how many colors their icons have. Anyway, it's a good step for Sun and hopefully they'll continue down this path.