Discussions

News: Sun news: Jonathan Schwartz interview, 64 bit Java Desktop

1. There has been a lot of news coming out of the Sun Network show. In a recent interview, Jonathan Schwartz talks about the proposition of Orion, how Sun can get around the fact that it hasn't been known as a software company, why partner programs are slow to join, and more. Infoworld claims that people that they spoke too are very interested in this new pricing model. Sun also came out to say that the Java Desktop System will run on the new AMD 64 bit processors.

In the News

CRN Interview: Jonathan Schwartz, Executive VP of Software, Sun Microsystems

Sun Java Desktop System To Run With Athlon 64

Sun pricing model wows users

Threaded Messages (13)

2. Wow...talk about no PR Skills...[ Go to top ]

This is incredible. He basically slams SM, slams open source, then slams Linux directly.

Then, he basically has nothing to say about the profit potential or market viability of the product he apparently just constructed.

This lack of a unified front from Sun executives is why the company is in trouble.
  3. Wow...talk about no PR Skills...[ Go to top ]

I hear what you're saying. I'm surprised a Sun executive would give such a negative interview with so much bashing going on in it.

From the interview:

>>>>
    CRN: What do you mean a 'Linux mistake?'

Schwartz: Everyone in the marketplace seems to believe that if you build a bucket of parts then you can deliver it and if it has a user interface it is a desktop. We have spent hundreds of man-years building an integrated desktop which, if you saw the demo, it's beautiful, it's gorgeous, and that took a huge amount of work. The other guys are just kind of assembling open-source crap and saying, "Hey, we're done"
    >>>>

I mean, geeze.

-Mike
  4. NFS crap[ Go to top ]

I think Sun is just being a sore loser. Solaris lost to linux a few years ago. I hope they move on somehow.

As far as crap, they need only look at NFS ...
  5. I'm not sure about what J. Schwartz means by 'Open Source Crap'.

I wonder if Linux; Gnome; NetBeans; Ximian Evolution; Nautilus; Samba; Appache httpd, Tomcat, Crimson, Xalan; OpenOffice qualify as 'Open Source Crap'.

If they are, one would expect a bit of consideration for all the man hours given to build up those projects. Projects that Sun leverages, (almost) free of charge, to create products in hope to make big money (Which is natural, Sun is a business afterall).

But really, you should not bite the hand that feeds you.I find it increasingly difficult to understand those Big Vendor Executive folks.

Open source developers diserve better than that.

Doms.
  6. Jonathan Schwartz and the software division excluding the Java language team are the bigest jokes in the software industry. He has NO clue what he is doing and is making enemies. I suspect, IBM and BEA to not like this guy one bit. He is trying to turn sun into everything that they have critized Microsoft for over the years.

Perhaps, he should cut his poney tail and get a clue.
  7. he should cut his poney tail and get a clue

Jonathan is a smart guy ... it's extremely disappointing to see him speaking so arrogantly. One would think that Sun would do everything they could to try to avoid that perception.

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.
    Coherence: Clustered JCache for Grid Computing!
  8. I think you aren`t fair to sun with some os projects. They bought netbeans for a big amount of money. So they did with OO. Most active and lead developers of Tomcat are sun employees and sun started to co-develop gnome. These products aren`t free of charge.
  9. ... These products aren`t free of charge.

You're right!
    But I still wonder which Open Source Crap he is refering to.

Doms.
  10. Come on, guys[ Go to top ]

You're right!

> But I still wonder which Open Source Crap he is refering to.
    >
    > Doms.

While Jonathan's comments may be somewhat crude, he does have a point. Anyone who works with open source on a daily basis (including myself) knows that the current reality is that it requires much pain-in-the-butt integration/learning curve to deliver a real-world, end-to-end solution utilizing OSS. So to developers who are on deadline/time crunch, whatever, open-source can sometimes appear as a "bunch of crap" as opposed to a "turn-key", documented, supported, commercial MS or J2EE solution. Just my 2 cents.

- Frank
  11. Come on, guys[ Go to top ]

I see you're point.

But the way I understood it is that he was talking about desktop suites and how "complex" it is for a vendor to integrate one as opposed to just 'assembling open source crap'. The other non-MS Desktop suites I know (Ximian XD2; RedHat, SuSE Desktops) practicaly use the same set of softwares (except that StarOffice might be replaced by OpenOffice). So where's the crap?

But nevermind. I think he wanted to sound very confident and ended up sounding very arrogant.
    We all (Sun included) know the quality of the open source projects mentioned earlier (+ Mozilla).

Cheers,
    Doms.
  12. Come on, guys[ Go to top ]

Lets be honest here, not all open source is great and not all commercial software is great either. Not that I'll name, names and let this end up in one big slanging match.

Like I think Linux is a great OS, but if you want a decent GUI, well sorry dudes KDE and GTK just don't cut it. But even then thats just the opinion of one, surely any company thats using Linux would not necessarily call it a mistake. We use Linux as out corporate standard and thats not just because its free, its a really good OS. Even if I personally think the the UI is not not good, Linux still hs loads to offer any company. IT after all is not just about the desktop, or how pretty it is.

He certainly sounded arrogant, even if he had good points to make or even valid ones, he still managed to annoy me. It sounds like they're trying to do and Apple(I'm an owner), grab and existing OS, beautify it and release it as their own creation. Sure I'm simplifying things here, but it would be wrong of Apple to claim all the work on Safari as theirs, also wrong not to give Apple credit for some great features they added themselves.

That said, you don't see Steve Jobs flaming Open Source...

13. CRN: What do you mean a 'Linux mistake?'

Schwartz: Everyone in the marketplace seems to believe that if you build a bucket of parts then you can deliver it and if it has a user interface it is a desktop. We have spent hundreds of man-years building an integrated desktop which, if you saw the demo, it's beautiful, it's gorgeous, and that took a huge amount of work. The other guys are just kind of assembling open-source crap and saying, "Hey, we're done"
    >>>>

I guess he didn't mean to say all open source stuff are crap. Sun has been a strong advocate of open source concept. You can see that in Sun site - "We believe in neat stuff, and Open Source is neat!".

But we need to accept that there are lots of open source projects out there which doesn't seem to make it to the end. And its going to real pain if we try to make them work together. I'm hope thats what he meant. A Sun executive can't think otherwise?!! :)
  14. Why Linux?[ Go to top ]

One thing I don't understand is that why Sun is using Linux for its Mad Hatter project. Why not Solaris? After all this is their main OS.

I might miss something obvious here...