Enhydra 5.1 Open Source Java/XML application server released

Discussions

News: Enhydra 5.1 Open Source Java/XML application server released

1. Enhydra, the open source Java/XML application server, has released version 5.1. This features XMLC 2.2.1, DODS 5.1, Octopus 2.2 and contains a lot of improvements. Logging is now based on log4j, the presentation management has true support for XHTML and new webserver plugins (Director) are available. All major IDEs (Eclipse, Netbeans, JBuilder and JDeveloper) are supported by Kelp-plugins.

What's New

- Support for JDK 1.4.x
    - Support for Xerces 2.5
    - Full XHTML support
    - Support for latest Apache 1.x webserver (Director plugins), IIS on W2003/XP, support for IPlanet webserver
    - Plugins for latest IDE's (Eclipse, Netbeans, JBuilder, JDeveloper)
    - LOTS of new documentation
    - Logging through log4j
    - Support for WAR file deployment of Enhydra applications (e.g. on Tomcat)
    - Native Windows and Linux system service installation
    - Many new demo applications
    - Support for native compilation with Excelsior/JET included
    - MVC presentation framework Barracuda XMLC 2.2.1 included (now fully Xerces independent)
    - DODS 5.1 included (completely rewritten DB vendor independent O/R mapping generator with sophisticated caching and transaction handling, new multidatabase support)
    - Runtime cache administration application for DODS O/R mapping
    - Wireless development support for WAP/WML and cHTML VoiceXML support
    - Separated Development and runtime packages
    - Octopus DB vendor independent relational ETL (extraction/transformation/loading) tool included (with Ant and JUnit support and brand new XML- and CSV-JDBC drivers)

Go to the Enhydra 5.1 home page.

Threaded Messages (20)

2. Enhydra Site is down ..[ Go to top ]

Cant get to the http://enhydra.enhydra.org/ site ..
    Hope they are not hosting on enhydra, else it would be bad press :)
    J
  3. Enhydra Site is down ..[ Go to top ]

Seems to be working for me.

Rob
  4. Enhydra.org up and running[ Go to top ]

Enhydra.org and enhydra.enhydra.org are definitely up and running...

Greetings.

ALfred Madl
  5. Enhydra.org up and running[ Go to top ]

Does *not* seem to be working here, either...
  6. Enhydra.org up and running[ Go to top ]

http://www.enhydra.org is working for me....
  7. Enhydra Site is down ..[ Go to top ]

we are running Apache :-)
    and it is up and running...
  8. it is running now ..[ Go to top ]

does the 5.1.1.exe itself contain the plugins for eclipse? or is there some other site that i need to go for the eclipse plugin?
  9. DODS Eclipse plugin[ Go to top ]

The DODS plugin in contained in "Kelp" at kelp.enhydra.org.

Alfred
  10. All major IDEs???[ Go to top ]

Where is the support for IntelliJ IDEA ????

> All major IDEs (Eclipse, Netbeans, JBuilder and JDeveloper) are ....

Please take notice of IntelliJ!!! It is a major IDE.
  11. All major IDEs???[ Go to top ]

Please take notice of IntelliJ!!! It is a major IDE.

We all want IntelliJ plugin !!!

IDEA provides Open API for third party plugins. So you can write it easily.

When you are typing your source code, know that IDEA is ALWAYS one step ahead of you.

On-the-Fly Code Analysis
  12. All major IDEs???[ Go to top ]

IDEA provides Open API for third party plugins.

This wouldn't be an issue if the JCP would rise to the challenge of JSR 198 "A Standard Extension API for Integrated Development Environments". It's one of the most important JSRs ever, but the expert group has languished for nearly a year without publicly noticeable progress.
  13. All major IDEs???[ Go to top ]

>
    > Where is the support for IntelliJ IDEA ????
    >
    > > All major IDEs (Eclipse, Netbeans, JBuilder and JDeveloper) are ....
    >
    > Please take notice of IntelliJ!!! It is a major IDE.

I fully agree. IntelliJ is a major IDE. I will post and idea for Enhydra plugin on IntelliJ site.
  14. Congrats![ Go to top ]

Alfred,

thanks a lot for the wonderful work of my favorite "Wasserbär" ;-) I'll try this asap.

Lofi.
  15. All major IDEs (Eclipse, Netbeans, JBuilder and JDeveloper) are supported by >Kelp-plugins.

Where is Intellij IDEA ???
  16. EJB support in IntelliJ IDEA[ Go to top ]

All major IDEs (Eclipse, Netbeans,

IDEA supports EJB's not less than Eclipse and Netbeans. It's even better IMHO. For example, Eclipse doesnt support EJB's at all unless you use some plugin.

So you should consider plugin development for IDEA very seriously!

The specially designed EJB tool window allows you to review and edit EJB structure, transaction attributes, environment entries, security roles, EJB references, resource references and resource environment references. This window also provides many EJB and EJB pattern generation actions.

EJB Support in IDEA
  17. EJB support in IntelliJ IDEA[ Go to top ]

<
    You forgot a little "detail".... Eclipse is free!!! and IDEA is paid! If you want to pay, you can use the Eclipse based IBM Websphere Studio that has everything you may need (and many you will not :) ) related to EJB's and J2EE apps in general.

I agree that IDEA is good (even i really prefer Eclipse), but we cant compare feature by feature something that costs money with something that its free...
    There are some eclipse plugins in the market for EJB's and with a much lower price than IDEA.

One last point!!!
    This thread is about enhydra and not Eclipse vs IDEA....
    I'm really happy with this new version of enhydra. I was an enhydra user and develloper some years ago and I stopped after the Lutris colapse. I'm thinking about giving it another try, because i really remember how interesting the tecnology was (XMLC, DODS, etc..).

Pedro Costa
  18. all major IDE's ?[ Go to top ]

I dont understand the choice not to include plugin for
    best Java IDE according to JavaWorld 2003 Editors' Choice.

Best Java IDE: IntelliJ IDEA 3.0, JetBrains

Our judges couldn't say enough about JetBrains's latest IDE:

"IntelliJ rocks," says Kang.

"IntelliJ did it again," says Frank Sommers, president of Autospaces. "Just when we thought we saw what's possible in a simple, easy-to-use, yet extremely powerful IDE, version 3.0 topped our expectations."

"IntelliJ IDEA is by far the best IDE for advanced developers," says Michael Yuan, a PhD candidate at the University of Texas at Austin.

Since entering the Java IDE market in early 2000, this small Czech company has quickly garnered quite a loyal following of Java developers. Vladimir Roubtsov, a senior engineer at Trilogy?a software company that lets developers pick their favorite commercial or free IDE to work with?says that most of his developers have chosen IDEA.

Some of our judges have also switched to IntelliJ. "I have tried many IDEs each year when I review the latest crop," says Daniel Steinberg, director of Java offerings at Dim Sum Thinking. "Until last year, I always returned to a text editor and command-line tools. Now I use IDEA."

Kang also notes its appeal over other development environments: "IDEA has doubled my efficiency with its extensive refactoring tools, customizable quick keys, templates, Ant integration, and automated common programming tasks. Once you have tried IntelliJ, you will never go back to your previous IDE."

IDEA's refactoring abilities kept coming up again and again in our judges' comments, as did the tool's simplicity, flexibility, and intelligent editor. Nevertheless, Sommers had one complaint: "This IDE is addictive. At first, I used it to edit my Java code, then I started using it for my XML editing needs, and next I started using it to manage JSP-based Websites with it. I will probably use it for Web service development as well."

25 Reasons I Love Using IntelliJ Idea

IntelliJ IDEA - the different IDE
  19. all major IDE's ?[ Go to top ]

Is JBuilder free too:-), the JDeveloper is not free either even it looks like free.
    Actually the discussion shouldn’t be about IDE rather what advantages and disadvantages the Enhydra has versus JBoss and some other app servers open source as well as commercial ones.
  20. If somebody is willing to port Kelp to IDEA we would be very happy ! Contributions are always welcome and we would love to host Kelp for IDEA in our project.

Regarding Enhydra vs. JBoss, I think they are NOT comparable. Enhydra is currently a pure servlet/JSP type of server having its own kind of (easy to use) O/R mapping and special features in the area of presentation (Superservlets and XMLC) and session-management. It has NO EJB stuff in it.

But there are very nice usage scenarios WITH "Jonas" (jonas.objectweb.org), the new de-facto standard J2EE server which will be included in Redhat-10 and be the first open source J2EE server that will be certified by SUN (according to Sun announcement some days ago).

Just have a look at the EJOSA project on ejosa.sourceforge.net. One of the biggest Enhydra applications (OpenUSS) is running in combination with Jonas a long time already. They are a perfect fit.

Since Enhydra and Jonas are both objectweb.org projects, we are thinking intensively about a combination of these 2 parts in Enhydra 6.0.

Greetings.

Alfred Madl
  21. Enhydra[ Go to top ]

<quote>
    Just have a look at the EJOSA project on ejosa.sourceforge.net. One of the biggest Enhydra applications (OpenUSS) is running in combination with Jonas a long time already. They are a perfect fit.
    </quote>

Yes, and with the newest version of EJOSA 1.3.5, you can start Enhydra servlet container as a service "enhydra" within JOnAS container thanks to the flexible service architecture of JOnAS.

What I really like about Enhydra is that - if you don't need EJB - you can just install Enhydra and you have everything with you:

Presentation Layer:
    - Action-oriented Framework: SuperServlet, just like Struts but a lot more easier , very good for beginners.
    - Event-oriented Framework: Barracuda for experts.
    - XMLC Technique instead of JSP.

Specification API:
    - Standard Java interfaces for your "session" and "business" type specification.

Business and Data Layer:
    - DODS Java classes for the implementation of your specification API (OR-Mapper).

Enhydra seperates these three layers nicely. Just have a try ;-)

Lofi.
    http://www.openuss.org