TSS Surveys: A Report on JDBC and XML Usage

Discussions

News: TSS Surveys: A Report on JDBC and XML Usage

1. TSS Surveys: A Report on JDBC and XML Usage (9 messages)

TheServerSide recently emailed a small group of TSS subscribers to take part in a survey on their JDBC and XML usage habits. The results have been published. Some of the questions asked were what JDBC 3.0 features are important, what tools people use to access data and integrate it with Web publishing systems, and how people are using SQL/XML and XQuery in their applications.

Editor's Note
    ================
    This survey was conducted on behalf of DataDirect. We randomly emailed this survey to a small group of TSS subscribers, out of which 303 people responded. No special criteria were used to determine who would receive the survey.

View the JDBC and XML Survey Report

Threaded Messages (9)

2. How small was the group? I didn't get one. If you polled only the "Software Fashion Victims" at this site your results will be distorted.
  3. Why hidden Surveys??[ Go to top ]

TheServerSide recently emailed a small group of TSS subscribers to take part in >a survey on their JDBC and XML usage habits.

Why hidden Surveys? Why not have an open poll/surveys? Is there any specific reason. What is the criteria for selecting these small group of people?

-----------------------------------------
    http://javaRSS.com
    Just one bookmark - for all java related news, articles and blogs.
    -----------------------------------------
  4. Survey done on behalf of DataDirect[ Go to top ]

Hi Jay,

We did this survey on behalf of Datadirect. We emailed their survey to a random selection of TSS subscribers, from our J2EE Marketplace list, and 303 people responded to it. We in no way tried to 'hide' the survey; the participants were randomly selected from our member base.

Regards,
    Nitin
  5. three dimensions with 2 variables?[ Go to top ]

the bar graphs have only two variables yet have 3 dimensional bars. this skews visual representation of results. I recommend 2d bar graphs when dealing with 2 variables.
  6. Statistical Charts[ Go to top ]

"the bar graphs have only two variables yet have 3 dimensional bars. this skews visual representation of results. I recommend 2d bar graphs when dealing with 2 variables."

I believe Edward Tufte would classify this aspect of the graphics as 'chart junk'.

All the best,

William Louth
    JDBinsight Product Architect
    "Tune with Insight"
    www.jinspired.com
  7. No Interbase?[ Go to top ]

There was no Interbase/Firebird in the list, I find that insulting ;)

Also questions 14 and 15 are kind of mixed. If (14) is about tool used, and (15) is about complexity of transformation, what this phrase does do there: "Complex transformation only achievable through programming in Java or another general purpose programming language"? Would be interesting though what formatting/transformation is done with a particular tool.
  8. How many people use XQuery?[ Go to top ]

The results from the different questions don't seem to be in sync.
    From question 14 I read that about 16 respondents use XQuery. Yet there are 106 responses to question 18 ("If you're using XQuery, how are the XQuery results consumed subsequently?"). Can someone explain this to me?

Cheers,
    David
  9. Whats the "Cum. Sum" column??[ Go to top ]

What the heck is the Cum Sum column (last column in the tabular data).

How is it derived and what does it mean?
  10. TheServerSide recently emailed a small group of TSS subscribers

Such a respectful company as TheServerSide should know that from statistics point of view 300 respondents is way too low. This number of respondents is not a representative set. In plain English - with such set the results are meaningless.