EBJ Transaction Timeout on webLogic

Discussions

EJB programming & troubleshooting: EBJ Transaction Timeout on webLogic

1. EBJ Transaction Timeout on webLogic (3 messages)

I am using Stateless Session Bean in WebLogic Server.
    I get Transaction Timeout Exception because the ResultSet this EJB is trying to retrieve from the database takes more than 5 Minutes. I know there's a parameters in weblogic-ejb-jar.xml that allows us to control the timeout paremeter.

We are running into some EJB (Stateless Session Bean) Timeout problem because the ResultSet this EJB is trying to retrieve from CIDER takes more than 5 Minutes. I know there's a parameters in weblogic-ejb-jar.xml that allows us to control the timeout paremeter.

<transaction-descriptor>
         <trans-timeout-seconds>60</trans-timeout-seconds> </transaction-descriptor>

The ideal solution would be to cut down the query time and the database team is working on it. A temporary solution would be to increase the Transaction Timeout to accomodate this delay. But 5+ Minutes is a significant amount and I am not sure if it's appropriate. What's your thought? Have you guys run into similar problems before?

Threaded Messages (3)

2. EBJ Transaction Timeout on webLogic[ Go to top ]

Brian,

Longer transaction time is fine unless it affects application scalability. An execution thread is occupied for the time of the transaction, so it won't be available to serve othe requests until it fishes work. If you have 15 execution thread, the sever will be able to processes only 15 client requests.

Other solution could be placing such long running requests to a JMS queue and process them in async mode...

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Slava Imeshev
  3. EBJ Transaction Timeout on webLogic[ Go to top ]

Hi Slava,

Here is my problem related to the thread below:

I have a transaction which may take 5 - 10 minutes to finish. I am usinh WLS.
    Right now the transaction is being executed through a stateless session bean which controls the transaction.

As you mentioned, I am sure it is not a good idea to increase the transaction time out. You were suggesting to use MDB. My qn is, even if I use MDB, I still have to take care of the time out issue - Am I correct?

I am trying to tune the query, but not sure whether I can get it within a minute or so. What is the best strategy I can use to get around this problem?

Thanks,
    -Lincy

Longer transaction time is fine unless it affects application scalability. An execution thread is occupied for the time of the transaction, so it won't be available to serve othe requests until it fishes work. If you have 15 execution thread, the sever will be able to processes only 15 client requests.

Other solution could be placing such long running requests to a JMS queue and process them in async mode...

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Slava Imeshev
  4. JTA Timeout overides[ Go to top ]

I have transaction timeout set in weblogic-ejb-jar.xml to 180 but JTA time out for transaction is set to 30, which I want to keep default for other EJBs. Does it overwrites EJB individual setup?