Discussions

General J2EE: What Exactly constitutes an Application server

1. Hi All
    Pls tell me what are minimun features supported by an application server.
    Is Tomcat an Application server even though it has only a servlet and a JSP engine.
    If Tomcat is an Application server then wat is a web server(with servlet and JSP engine)
    Thanks in advance
  2. To be precise Tomcat is a standlalone container and acts as standalone websever.
    It is used for JSP and Servlets deployment.
    Another java based container is Jetty (Open Source initiative).
    Now when this wen conatiner (Tomact/Jetty combined) with EJB container along with JMS (Java Messaging Service) can be called as an application server.
    Ex JBOSS, WebSphere.
    An Application server has to have support for transactions, clustering, security and others to name a few here.
    Others can correct me and add this to..

Vishal.
  3. Now when this wen conatiner (Tomact/Jetty combined) with EJB container along with JMS (Java Messaging Service) can be called as an application server.

> Ex JBOSS, WebSphere.

That is a very Java-centric definition. To be a J2EE compliant application server, perhaps. But, I would consider an application server as any server that can take software requests from a thin-client and generate dynamic responses.
  4. That depends on what you mean saying "application server". J2EE-compliant application server is expected to implement the J2EE spec (JDBC, EJB, Servlet, JMS, JNDI and other standards).

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Slava Imeshev