Discussions

General J2EE: Best J2EE App Server Among JBoss, Tomcat, Apache

1. Best J2EE App Server Among JBoss, Tomcat, Apache (2 messages)

Hi All,

We would like to opt for any of the below app servers,
    JBoss,Tomcat,Apache.Can any one guide me which one is good.Am very New to J2EE..Thanks in advance.
    Rgds
    Ramchi

Threaded Messages (2)

2. We would like to opt for any of the below app servers,

> JBoss,Tomcat,Apache.Can any one guide me which one is good.Am very New to J2EE..Thanks in advance.

If you are looking for a server with EJB container, then JBoss is the only one that you gave in ur options. (Apache's Geronimo is yet ready and tomcat is only a JSP container).
  3. Typically[ Go to top ]

An enterprise application environment requires all three. Apache is the http server, which would provide the standard static html type content. Tomcat is the Servlet container which would provide JSP & Servlet content. JBoss is the EJB container, providing backend EJB support for scalable database access, etc. through enterprise javabeans.

Now JBoss does have an integrated HTTP server now, but I can't imagine it's anywhere near the performance of Apache. Tomcat is also capable of serving HTTP, but again nowhere near Apache's performance capabilities.

Small business, low traffic, html, jsp & servlets only --> Tomcat
    Medium business, medium traffic, html, jsp & servlets only --> Apache & Tomcat
    Large business, high traffic, html, jsp, servlet, ejbs --> Apache, Tomcat & JBoss.

Hope that helped.