Discussions

News: ServletExec 5.0 Released

1. ServletExec 5.0 Released (11 messages)

New Atlanta has announced the availability of ServletExec 5.0 for download and purchase.

ServletExec 5.0 Features

Key New Features in ServletExec 5.0 include:
      - Java Servlet API 2.4
      - JavaServer Pages (JSP) 2.0
      - JSP Standard Tag Library (JSTL) 1.1
      - JavaServer Faces (JSF) 1.0
      - Java Web Services
        (Java WSDP 1.3, Apache Axis 1.1)
      - JDBC 2.x & 3.0 Data Source Configuration
      - Expanded Web Server and Operating System Support
      - JSR-045 for the debugging of JSPs

Other Improvements include:
      - New & Improved Administrative Interface
      - Built-in web server for ServletExec/AS
      - Improved ServletExec/AS Administration
      - Customizable Session Management
      - Built-in JDBC Session Manager
      - JSP Dependencies
        (Automatic JSP page recompilation
         upon dependant page modification)
      - Web Application Environment Entries
      - Web Application EJB References
      - A Standalone JSP Compiler Tool

Go to the ServletExec 5 home page

Read the Servlet 5 Press Release

Threaded Messages (11)

2. Business Plan[ Go to top ]

I don't think New Atlanta has one of the most awe-inspiring business plans I have ever seen.

They want to sell a servlet engine for $700 a pop, plus $1,000/year support. But companies that want to shell out that kind of dough for support / peace of mind will probably turn to corporations like BEA that will still be around next year.

I don't even need to mention in this forum what the pricing pressures are on the low-end of this market.

I love seeing bright, ambitious companies make software and sell it. I get annoyed by uncreative companies entering a saturated marketspace with free offerings, and then grousing about the lousy tech economy when people won't buy their products.
  3. Business Plan[ Go to top ]

Corby

New Atlanta have been supplying a servlet Engine long before Tomcat existed.

Also, they have survived the boom and bust thus far and well done to them.

Your points might be valid otherwise.

Dan
  4. Business Plan[ Go to top ]

Corby

>
    > New Atlanta have been supplying a servlet Engine long before Tomcat existed.
    >
    > Also, they have survived the boom and bust thus far and well done to them.
    >
    > Your points might be valid otherwise.
    >
    > Dan

Thanks for your input, Dan.

Admittedly, back in 1997 (now nearly 6 years and 11,000 customers ago) the ServletExec business plan was a little more exciting.

While the excitement levels associated with new spec releases may have dropped since Servlet API 1.0 in '97 and JSP 1.0 in '99, the interest and demand for ServletExec remains strong.

For a more "new & interesting" business strategy, look at our latest product BlueDragon. It allows any of the 100,000's of corporations that leverage the ColdFusion Markup Language (CFML) to re-deploy their CFML apps as a native J2EE or .NET web application:

http://www.newatlanta.com/products/bluedragon

While it may not have enough "glitz appeal" to interest some, it does fulfill a critical need for anyone with existing investments in CFML looking to standardize on a strategic platform like J2EE or .NET.

New Atlanta remains consistently focused on solving real-world problems and addressing the server-side web-technology needs of corporations around the world.

Regards,
    Dan
  5. Business Plan[ Go to top ]

I don't even need to mention in this forum what the

> pricing pressures are on the low-end of this market.

There are not many good in process Servlet Engines in the market right now. I did not knew any, before I read this article. For me this seems pretty interesting. Apache is already a very good and solid HTTP Server and when combined with ServletExec, I have to say it's promising. It also makes it very easy to combine Java code with some scripting language. Apache already has plugins for many scripting languages (i.e. PHP, Python, Perl...).
  6. Business Plan[ Go to top ]

Apache is already a very good and solid HTTP

> Server and when combined with ServletExec

Duh... It does not work in-process in Apache. How lame is that. I just thought that I might try it out, but without Apache plugin ServletExec gives me no added value.
  7. my experience[ Go to top ]

with servlet exec has been really really good. I would say give it a try. The company needs a new sales head. I used it 4 years ago and at that time jrun was only other alternative and servlet exec was definately 100 times better. I think everybody knows which company made more money. If I needed a servlet engine for my personal work (like to learn new APIs or independent contracts), I would prefer this over tomcat. Resin is another product that made me happy.
  8. ServletExec 5.0 Released[ Go to top ]

It seems somehow odd that ServletExec is touting JSP 2.0 and JSF1.0 compatibility when neither of these specs is actually final. I got quite excited when I read the release, thinking I must have missed these JSRs being completed :)

Not to knock them, and no reflection on the quality of their software - it just looks like the release was a little bit premature to me (like it should really be a beta, or developer preview or something).
  9. ServletExec 5.0 Released[ Go to top ]

It seems somehow odd that ServletExec is touting JSP 2.0

> and JSF1.0 compatibility when neither of these specs is
    > actually final. I got quite excited when I read the release,
    > thinking I must have missed these JSRs being completed :)

Fair point. However...

While these specs may not be officially "final",
    they are in "proposed final draft" form and
    currently under "final approval ballet".

We have deemed each JSR to sufficiently mature
    to warrant a fully functional and spec-compliant
    release of ServletExec 5.0.

> Not to knock them, and no reflection on the quality
    > of their software - it just looks like the release was
    > a little bit premature to me (like it should really be
    > a beta, or developer preview or something).

As active participants and charter members of the
    Java Servlet API and JavaServer Pages Expert Groups,
    we feel confident that the timeliness of this release
    was justifiably prudent.
  10. It seems somehow odd that ServletExec is touting JSP 2.0 and JSF1.0 compatibility when neither of these specs is actually final. I got quite excited when I read the release, thinking I must have missed these JSRs being completed :)

>
    > Not to knock them, and no reflection on the quality of their software - it just looks like the release was a little bit premature to me (like it should really be a beta, or developer preview or something).

Dave,

I was baffled by this announcment at first too, particularly with respect to JavaServer Faces, which doesn't even have a Proposed Final Draft out yet. After looking at the press release and documentation, all they're saying is that they "support" JSF 1.0 (which any good servlet container should). In other words, you will be able to use the reference implementation with ServletExec. So I think the problem is that the TSS announcement mentions "JavaServer Faces (JSF) 1.0" as a "new feature", when really "support for JavaServer Faces" is the feature.

That being said, I definitely see the market for ServletExec's product -- that's why JRun is still around (I forget always that it supports EJB), and that's why BEA has a lower-priced version without full EJB compatibility. I've watched NewAtlanta since the inception of servlets, and the fact that they're still around certainly says something.

Kito D. Mann
    Author, JSF in Action
    http://www.JSFCentral.com - JSF FAQ, news, and info
  11. ServletExec 5.0 Released[ Go to top ]

I think its rather pricy for just a servlet container. JRun4 which is a full J2EE 1.3 App server costs just $899. Or am I missing something?

Cheers,

Smythe
  12. ServletExec 5.0 Released[ Go to top ]

If all you need is a servlet/JSP container (which is all many people need), and if ServletExec is a better servlet/JSP container than the one implemented within JRun (I think it is), then why would you pay more for JRun only to get extra baggage and a less capable servlet/JSP container?

On the other hand, if you really do need a full J2EE server and you find JRun to be adequate for your needs, then JRun might be a better choice for you.

Vince Bonfanti
    New Atlanta Communications, LLC