Discussions

General J2EE: nedd info for presentation of JBoss vs (websphere or weblogic)

1. Hi,

I have to make a presentation in my course at UCLA and I want to talk about JBoss vs (websphere or weblogic).
    I want to talk for example :
      1 performance
      2 in which case they are best suited as application server
        and why
      3 what are the differences in architecture
      etc ...

Do you have some links, books where I can find this kind of information ?

Thanks a lot

Walt

Threaded Messages (42)

2. Hi Walt,

I had something similar to what u r planning for arnd a yr ago. I dunnoh how much of it is valid today also. If u gimme ur mail id i can send the zip across for your reference.

Rohit
  3. here my email[ Go to top ]

Hi Rohit,

here my email : yves001qc_nospam at yahoo dot com
    please remove "_nospam"

Thanks a lot

> Hi Walt,
    >
    > I had something similar to what u r planning for arnd a yr ago. I dunnoh how much of it is valid today also. If u gimme ur mail id i can send the zip across for your reference.
    >
    > Rohit
  4. Hey Rohit
    I would really appreciate if you could mail me the zip files. As I am in a fix for choosing in between Weblogic and JBOSS for one of my application
  5. need JBOSS vs WEBLOGIC info[ Go to top ]

Hi,

Could anyone help me get my hands over the JBOSS vs WEBLOGIC material circulating in this forum. If someone could...I would really appreciate that !!

thanks in advance
    satya.
  6. La Quinta ported existing Java/J2EE objects
    running on BEA WebLogic 6.1 SP2 to JBoss
    Application Server 3.2.3. The total project
    took two developers a total of eight man weeks
    to complete.

http://www.jboss.com/pdf/jbworld/migrating_to_jboss.pdf

If anyone has any additional information, please cc rcollins@qacps.com
  7. I am looking for such comparison as well. Please send a copy to essam dot elsherif at verizon dot net

Thanks
  8. Hi All,

I also need a comparison between Jboss,Weblogic and websphere in terms of above mentioned paramters. Please could you send a copy to nschana at hotmail dot com

Thanks in advance

Narinder
  9. I am also in need of material for this comparison and analysis between Weblogic and Websphere.

Can you forward this to me at shanpatel at yahoo dot com

Shan Patel
  10. I am another developer in looking for comparisons between Websphere and JBoss in all terms like performance, operating cost. I did look at the matrix and the PDF presented by LaQuinta. If there are any other materials circulating in the forum, please do send it to me. My email address is brameshkannan at yahoo dot com

Thanks in advance
    Ramesh
  11. JBoss vs WebSphere[ Go to top ]

Hi,
    I am looking for info on this topic JBoss vs WebSphere Application Server -
    benefits, advantages in performance and functionality.
    If anyone has any information, please share.
    Thanks
    -Uma
  12. JBoss vs Weblogic[ Go to top ]

Hi,
      I am preparing similar presentation requested by my boss. Would appreciate if you can also share your materials to me, my email address is jiangmingjun at bhr dot com dot cn.

Thanks you very much.
  13. JBoss vs Weblogic[ Go to top ]

Hi,

I'm pretty much in the same situation. I need to do a presentation comparing JBoss & Weblogic. Do you have any information on the subject? Any help really appreciated.

--Alex
  14. JBoss vs Weblogic[ Go to top ]

Can anyone please send whatever information possible for helping to choose between JBoss Vs Websphere/Weblogic. Thanks. My email is amit6196@yahoo.com
  15. JBoss vs weblogic[ Go to top ]

I to am comparing Jboss with Weblogic, if anyone have info my e-mail is g_icho at hotmail dot com. Thanks a lot
  16. Jboss Vs Weblogic[ Go to top ]

Hi,
      I wanted to know the difference between JBoss and Weblogic in terms of basic difference, performance, and the situaiton when each of them should be selected. Please share any information that is available.

Thanks,
    Sreeni.
  17. Jboss Vs Weblogic[ Go to top ]

Hi,
      I need the difference between Jboss and Wblogic. I missed my email address in my previous post. Pass on any information on this topic to srialak at yahoo dot com

Thanks,
    Sreeni.
  18. JBoss vs Weblogic[ Go to top ]

If someone has any information about the differences between JBoss and Weblogic, please send it to me. My email is g_icho at hotmail dot com

Thanks a lot
  19. JBoss vs weblogic[ Go to top ]

Hi,

I am a newbie to JBoss and was wondering, if anyone had any info regarding advantages of Jboss vs weblogic.

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks

Lidi
  20. Hi!

I am doing a similar comparison and would like get a chance to refer any such material if you dont mind sharing it!

please send it on my id - patelbj at gmail dot com

Thanks

Patel
  21. Weblogic Vs JBoss[ Go to top ]

Hi,
      I need to make a presentation of Weblogic Vs JBoss. Does any one have links, notes or books where I can find the relevant info. You can email me at rganer at mailcity dot com

Thanks
  22. Hi,

I am looking for similar presentation/information. Could you please mail (sunil dot chamarti at gmail dot com) me any information you may have regarding the same?

Your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Sunil
  23. Hi,

I am yet another developer trying to find a comparison between BEA and JBoss. If anyone has a copy of any comparison information would you please mail it to me.

Thanks

Bass
  24. hi,

My email address is sph100 at gmail dot com. Sorry forgot to supply that.

Bass
  25. I am trying to find a comparison between BEA and JBoss. If anyone has a copy of any comparison information please email it to me (vsandeep at yahoo dot com).

Thanks in advance
  26. Please cc me on this info as well.
    Thanks!
    de2005 at gmail.com
  27. Hi,

Could anyone help me get my hands over the JBOSS vs WEBLOGIC material circulating in this forum. If someone could...I would really appreciate that !!

thanks in advance
    satya.
  28. Dear all

I'm doing a migration from FILENET Panagon to FILENET P8.
    And for this new release I need an Application Server.

I am trying to find a comparison between BEA and JBoss. If anyone has some comparaison to help me in this choice
    please email it to me : pascal dot violero at airbus dot com

Thanks in advance

Pascal
  29. I need a copy too...[ Go to top ]

Please email me a copy of the study as well...
    timjowers@@@@@yahhhooooo.com - fix as apparent
    Thanks alot.

Here's one matrix: http://www.theserverside.com/reviews/matrix.tss

I have worked alot with WebLogic and in the past with JBoss and WebSphere. Using ObjectLearn's Lomboz plug-in with Eclipse makes deploying to the various servers a breeze. I have talked to various others. One company dropped WebLogic for WebSphere. Another was dropping WebLogic for SharePoint or SiteServer or some proprietary M$FT software. And I've heard of others that have gone JBoss -> WebLogic or WebSphere as well as Proprietary to JBoss.

I have not heard much about use of LifeRay or plans for using Geronimo. Yet. Tomcat is used but not very dominant. Apache is still the majority of websites far and away and singly about as much as all other webserver software combined!

Personally, I laugh at knowing some managers are spending way north of $500k just on Web Server software. At the end of the day, layers of layers is no better design pattern than anything else. And the performance is not a problem for any mature Open Source software. Look at Sendmail!
  30. Need a copy too[ Go to top ]

Hi,
    i also need a comparison between Jboss and Weblogic in terms of above mentioned paramters. please send a copy to pawanchhabra@yahoo.com
  31. Hi,
    i also need a comparison between Jboss and Weblogic in terms of above mentioned paramters. please send a copy to pawanchhabra at yahoo dot com

Thanks in advance

Pawan
  32. Could any one send me the document to the below email address, since i'm also looking for it.

mgaddam at gmail dot com

Thanka,
    Manohar
  33. Hi,

I need the same information - JBoss vs WebSphere/WebLogic. Can anyone send the info to chparadkar at gmail dot com

Thanks,
    Chitra.
  34. Hi,

I am looking for similar kind of information for my presentation. But, mine is slightly different I am looking for comparison between JBOSS and WebSphere. Any help is greatly appreciated.
  35. OOPS! I forgot to include my email. yellapr@scottsdaleins.com
  36. Hi, new here and a bit late on this thread - hope everything still available.

We're all Websphere Portal 5.1 currently and looking at options to reduce annual O&M costs... inevitably WebLogic and JBoss rear their heads every time this is discussed.

I'd like a copy of the presentation as well please (stephen dot andrews at cw dot com) and anything else anyone else can tell me - examples of migrations from WPS5.1 to either WL or JBoss, pain, benefits, costs etc etc

Thanks

Steve
  37. Hi,

I have to make a presentation regarding comparision or these three web servers. Please send a copy on bhagasra at gmail dot com.

Thanks in advance,
    Ramesh
  38. I also need the information[ Go to top ]

I also would like to received the information regarding a comparison of Weblogic, Websphere and JBOSS. Please send information to troynb at aol dot com.

Thanks in advance!
  39. I also would like to received the information regarding a comparison of Weblogic, Websphere and JBOSS. Please send information to troynb at aol dot com. Thanks in advance!
  40. IF any of you have recieved details of comparison between Jboss and WebSphere , please forward me the same at kohli at dbmi dot columbia dot edu as i am in urgent need of the same.

Thanks
  41. Jboss vs. WebSphere[ Go to top ]

I would like to have the comparison between Jboss and WebSphere at alamother7 at yahoo dot com. Thanks
  42. JBOSS v/s WAS Comparison[ Go to top ]

Hi Good to see folks asking for info about JBOSS and WAS comparisons. I am attaching my findings here below. Do send me your findings about the same too...2 years back (early 2004) , I had posted a negative review about JBOSS, however, JBOSS has matured over the last 2 years to an extent where it can easily compete with WebSphere and Weblogic. It has all the advanced feature support for Clustering, Farming, Load balancing, WebServices, SOA Support etc. Its support services are offered on a professional basis, costs of which are competitive as compared to its big brand competitors. If you compare it by features, it has a lot of features that WAS and Weblogic seem to provide. However, the maturity of the product, its ability to scale over huge user loads, still needs to be tested thoroughly. See some feature by feature comparison of JBoss v/s WebSphere below. Vendor JBOSS Group IBM Price Free 8K for Basic Edition, More for Enterprise Edition Platform Support Any OS running JDK 1.3 or 1.4) NT, Win2K, Solaris,AIX, OS/400, HP-UX, Red Hat Linux, Linux/390, OS/390 and more J2EE 1.4 Certified Yes Yes IPV6 support No Yes WebServices Yes Yes IDE Tooling Plug-in for Eclipse 3.0 WSAD 5.0 and 6.0, RAD Embedded Messaging Component Yes - JBOSSMQ Yes - WebSphereMQ Scalability/Future proofing GUI Based install Yes Yes GUI based Admin No Yes Configuration file format text xml Support for External HTTP Server Yes (Apache support documented) Yes Tunable Performance Parameters JDBC Connection Pools Supported Supported Web Container Tuning Supported Supported EJB Container Tuning Supported Supported Security Features AD authentication No Yes LDAP Authentication Yes Yes Software SSL enabled No Yes Support Features Commercial Support Yes Yes Web Based Ticket System No Yes JBoss AS 4.0 – Some factors to keep in mind 1) JBoss AS is an open source application server. This means that that the source code is freely available and customizable and there by it is vulnerable to expert hackers who can identify a flaw with code before the rest of the JBoss community does. 2) JBoss is essentially free and customers download multiple copies across a wide area but then face the problem of keeping different versions of their software up-to-date and secure. 3) Although JBoss AS has several browser-based administration interfaces, including a JMX (Java Management Extensions) console, for the most part these interfaces provide information about the server and loaded applications and can't be used for all server configuration and management. 4) JBoss seems to lag behind WebSphere in its security offerings and its integration with external third party security managers. 5) IDE integration with Eclipse still needs to be verified/tested. Hope above helps. Regards Bhavesh Patel WebSphere Consultant Noospherics Technologies
  43. JBOSS v/s WAS Comparison[ Go to top ]

Hi Good to see folks asking for info about JBOSS and WAS comparisons. I am attaching my findings here below. Do send me your findings about the same too...2 years back (early 2004) , I had posted a negative review about JBOSS, however, JBOSS has matured over the last 2 years to an extent where it can easily compete with WebSphere and Weblogic. It has all the advanced feature support for Clustering, Farming, Load balancing, WebServices, SOA Support etc. Its support services are offered on a professional basis, costs of which are competitive as compared to its big brand competitors. If you compare it by features, it has a lot of features that WAS and Weblogic seem to provide. However, the maturity of the product, its ability to scale over huge user loads, still needs to be tested thoroughly. See some feature by feature comparison of JBoss v/s WebSphere below. Vendor JBOSS Group IBM Price Free 8K for Basic Edition, More for Enterprise Edition Platform Support Any OS running JDK 1.3 or 1.4) NT, Win2K, Solaris,AIX, OS/400, HP-UX, Red Hat Linux, Linux/390, OS/390 and more J2EE 1.4 Certified Yes Yes IPV6 support No Yes WebServices Yes Yes IDE Tooling Plug-in for Eclipse 3.0 WSAD 5.0 and 6.0, RAD Embedded Messaging Component Yes - JBOSSMQ Yes - WebSphereMQ Scalability/Future proofing GUI Based install Yes Yes GUI based Admin No Yes Configuration file format text xml Support for External HTTP Server Yes (Apache support documented) Yes Tunable Performance Parameters JDBC Connection Pools Supported Supported Web Container Tuning Supported Supported EJB Container Tuning Supported Supported Security Features AD authentication No Yes LDAP Authentication Yes Yes Software SSL enabled No Yes Support Features Commercial Support Yes Yes Web Based Ticket System No Yes JBoss AS 4.0 – Some factors to keep in mind 1) JBoss AS is an open source application server. This means that that the source code is freely available and customizable and there by it is vulnerable to expert hackers who can identify a flaw with code before the rest of the JBoss community does. 2) JBoss is essentially free and customers download multiple copies across a wide area but then face the problem of keeping different versions of their software up-to-date and secure. 3) Although JBoss AS has several browser-based administration interfaces, including a JMX (Java Management Extensions) console, for the most part these interfaces provide information about the server and loaded applications and can't be used for all server configuration and management. 4) JBoss seems to lag behind WebSphere in its security offerings and its integration with external third party security managers. 5) IDE integration with Eclipse still needs to be verified/tested. Hope above helps. Regards Bhavesh Patel WebSphere Consultant Noospherics Technologies patelbj@gmail.com