James Gosling: New Sun CTO of Tools, Visualizing Software & more

Discussions

News: James Gosling: New Sun CTO of Tools, Visualizing Software & more

1. James Gosling is joining Sun's Developer Platforms Group as Chief Technology Officer. He takes with him the research on making application code easier to visualize and manage.

The third part of an interview with James discusses this visualization of software, as well as distributed systems.

He discusses how flat source code is, and problems with comments. He then talks about the new metadata for Java spec (JSR 175), and how he plans to use it in the new tool. Finally, he mentions the really hard problems with visualizing large distributed systems. He references this problem by talking about the Web itself, and how the easy problem is having a URL that links to a resource. Things get tricky when you want to handle that resource moving, being deleted, etc.

Father of Java joins Sun tools group

Interview with James Gosling: Visualizing Complexity

Threaded Messages (7)

2. ironic[ Go to top ]

a bit ironic that someone who probably prefers plain emacs over just about anything is made CTO of tools :)
  3. ironic - not[ Go to top ]

Someone who likes emacs is JUST THE PERSON to run tools, Emacs is a great tool, It's survived the test of time, it was great then and it's great now. Someone who recognises such a great tool should do a great job with Sun tools.

Good news from my point of view, well done James!

-John-
  4. Last I heard him on NPR was that he was considering leavign SUN...again. But I am glad to see him stay.
  5. coding[ Go to top ]

How long do you think we will have to code more?
    Meaning can't we get from models to runtime straight?
    Check this website: www.gorillalogic.com
  6. stupid move from sun[ Go to top ]

i cant understand how sun make such a stupid move of focusing on developer tools. we read articles everyday about how they lose market share in OS and App Server business.Instead of focusing on areas that will make money, they seem to prioritize devoloper tools market which is already taken by very good players like IDEA and Borland.So what they want to do? i see no way but slashing those bozo Sun execs for Sun's resurrection
  7. stupid move from sun[ Go to top ]

i cant understand how sun make such a stupid move of focusing on developer tools. we read articles everyday about how they lose market share in OS and App Server business.Instead of focusing on areas that will make money, they seem to prioritize devoloper tools market which is already taken by very good players like IDEA and Borland.So what they want to do? i see no way but slashing those bozo Sun execs for Sun's resurrection

I agree, Sun should concentrate on building better (in this order):
    1. Hardware (especialy processors, Sparc can't compete any more with IBM, Intel and AMD chips)
    2. OS (keep improving it)
    3. Java (VM, language, techologies/APIs)

Mileta
  8. stupid move from sun[ Go to top ]

Instead of focusing on areas that will make money, they seem to prioritize devoloper tools market which is already taken by very good players like IDEA and Borland.

IDEA and Borland make IDEs. Sun makes CASE tools.