Discussions

News: TrActive JDO Releases Version 2.0

1. TrActive JDO Releases Version 2.0 (11 messages)

TriActive JDO 2.0 Final has been released. TJDO is an open source implementation of Sun's JDO specification (JSR 12), designed to support transparent persistence using any JDBC-compliant database.

Features

- Supports JDO 1.0.1.
    - Implements the entire JDOQL query language, including several useful method enhancements.
    - Auto-creates all necessary schema elements (tables, foreign keys, indexes) according to your apps classes and JDO metadata.
    - Auto-validates expected schema structure at runtime, reducing failures from schema evolution.
    - Can map Java classes to SQL views, and allows for direct SQL queries, to leverage SQL capabilities not normally accessible through JDO.
    - Designed to be lightweight and fast.

Download TJDO 2.0

Binary distribution

Source distribution

View the TJDO roadmap and release notes.

Go to the TJDO home page on Sourceforge.

Threaded Messages (11)

2. this project uses a very odd versioning scheme, 2.0 suggests a very mature product, unfortunately this is not the case, versions before 2.0 weren't even 100% jdo compliant. and this product supports only the minimal required set of features
  3. What does the release numbering scheme matter? It's been at version 2.0 for a while (albeit in beta). SolarMetric's Kodo JDO is already at version 3.0.0 (admittedly more fully featured than TJDO).

http://www.solarmetric.com/
  4. What does the release numbering scheme matter? It's been at version 2.0 for a while (albeit in beta). SolarMetric's Kodo JDO is already at version 3.0.0 (admittedly more fully featured than TJDO).

It matters because it suggests a level of maturity that isn't there.

Marc
  5. I agree that a release number should be commensurate with product features and the quality thereof, but in the end release numbering is pure marketing.

Often there is no rhyme or reason to such schemes. An example that comes to mind is Sybase. I think Sybase jumped from release 4.x to System 10. "System 10" may have been marketing's attempt to suggest maturity. Unfortunately, however, System 10 had many challenges that tainted the image of the product in the eyes of many customers. Surely, it had a big release number, but was it more mature?

A person choosing a particular product must ignore the numbering and examine the quality of the features with due diligence. That applies to products with seemingly high release numbers and those with low release numbers. Hence, if I needed O/R mapping, I would contemplate TJDO, Hibernate (if standards were no requirement), SolarMetric, etc. I would look at my requirements and determine which products fit the bill by writing tests to finalize my decision. Perhaps TJDO would be the one; perhaps it would not.

Again, I do agree with your point that the release number should reflect maturity, but the customer must take the responsibility to see if the product behind the number is applicable.
  6. Hi everyone:

I want to know which product will be better.For example,in DataBase relactionship or easy to use.
    Any idea?
  7. In fact ver 2.0 of TJDO is *not* a full JDO implementation in that it does not implement all of the compulsory features, never mind the optionals (TCK compliance is not there). It is a definite step in the right direction but progress is slow.

JPOX has almost full TCK compliance AFAIK, and implements a large number of the items that TJDO have listed in their "items for the next release" on the Roadmap.
  8. It has been so long time since its 2.0beta3[ Go to top ]

More than a half year brought TJDO to 2.0final.
    How long will be the next step? ...
  9. Unfriendly Schema Management[ Go to top ]

If you have a class called User, and you are using a PostgreSQL database. It will create a user table. However any attempt to access the user table fails, because PostgreSQL thinks that user is referring to the keyword 'user' not the table 'user'. How ugly.
  10. Excelent[ Go to top ]

This is very good news, I have used version 2.0 beta in an small open source project called dataGlue (http://dataglue.sf.net) and it worked fine.

Any support for second level cache?

I saw an implementation based on TJDO that was also open source and had more enhancements called JPOX, at http://jpox.sf.net

regards,
    dan
  11. TrActive JDO Releases Version 2.0[ Go to top ]

Congratulations to the TJDO team
  12. Which one should I choose?[ Go to top ]

Is anyone there can make some suggestion which jdo implementation products should I choose?specially in open source world.Great thanks.