Discussions

News: Jakarta Announces Cactus 1.5

1. Jakarta Announces Cactus 1.5 (3 messages)

The Jakarta Apache Project has released Cactus 1.5, a simple framework for unit testing server-side Java code such as servlets, Enterprise JavaBeans, and tag libraries.

The main focus for version 1.5 was on usability, and several new front ends for Cactus have been added: Ant integration, Maven integration, Jetty integration, and an experimental Eclipse plugin.

The web site has been overhauled to provide better doc navigation and contains several new tutorials.

Main new features

The following main features have been added since Cactus 1.4.1:

2. Added support for begin()/end() that are run before and after each test on the client side (mirrors setUp()/tearDown() which are run before and after each test on the server side).
  3. Special Jetty integration to automatically start Jetty when executing a test suite
  4. Added support for Form-based authentication
  5. Added support for i8n
  6. Added new JspTagLifecycle class to help unit test taglibs
  7. Added support for JBoss in Ant integration
  8. Added support for server-side XSLT when running Cactus tests from a browser
  9. New Ant integration (<cactifywar> and <cactus> Ant tasks). Note that version 1.5-rc1 has added support for WebLogic 7.x as compared to version 1.5-beta1.
  10. Added ability to run pure JUnit tests seamlessly on the server side
  11. Lots of other new features. For a full feature list, see http://jakarta.apache.org/cactus/features.html

12. Read the Cactus 1.5 Announcement:
    http://jakarta.apache.org/cactus/1.5/ANNOUNCEMENT.txt

Visit the Cactus home page:
    http://jakarta.apache.org/cactus/

Threaded Messages (3)

• Jakarta Announces Cactus 1.5[ Go to top ]

I started working with Cactus about 3 weeks ago. It's about 100X more difficult to use than JUnit was. The documentation is extremely thin and leaves out mention of many things essential to use.

Any plans to update and extend the docset? Or plans for for a 'Cactus in Action' title? It's desperately needed....
  • Jakarta Announces Cactus 1.5[ Go to top ]

I started working with Cactus about 3 weeks ago. It's about 100X more difficult to use than JUnit was. The documentation is extremely thin and leaves out mention of many things essential to use.

>
    > Any plans to update and extend the docset? Or plans for for a 'Cactus in Action' title? It's desperately needed....

My last project I attempted to use Cactus to setup unit testing on a Weblogic 8.1 server. After about 3 days of on and off effort I managed to get a very simple test to run, but I found the lack of documentation and the amount of work compared to JUnit to just be a bit over the top. I had access to a chapter on Cactus in Java Tools for eXtreme Programming and Java Extreme Programming Cookbook. The last straw with dropping it for the project was all the issues I had getting it to run from ant. If I couldn't get it to run from ant I decided it just wasn't worth it.
  • Give yourself plenty of time.....[ Go to top ]

You may need a LOT of time to get Cactus up and working right. Weeks anyway.

I think it will be worth it to the project in the long run, but if you lack time don't try to use it. Stick with JUnit instead.....