Eclipse 3.0 M5 Released

Discussions

News: Eclipse 3.0 M5 Released

1. Eclipse 3.0 M5 Released (42 messages)

The Eclipse Project has churned out their fifth milestone release, 3.0 M5. This release comes on the heels of the real Solar Eclipse of November 23rd.

New Features:

2. Generalize Type refactoring
  3. Introduce Factory refactoring
  4. Change Method Signature refactoring supports exceptions
  5. The Quick type hierarchy view now also shows all supertypes.
  6. Javadoc validation
  7. Quick fixes for problems in Javadoc comments
  8. Search in Javadoc
  9. Search local and anonymous types
  10. Selecting a local variable in the Java editor and pressing F3 (Navigate > Open Declaration) now navigates to the variable's declaration.
  11. Streamlined global text replace
  12. The Eclipse Platform has been restructured to allow Eclipse to be used as a platform for arbitrary applications, not only IDE tools.
  13. Standard Mac OS X application menu
  14. SWT for Mac OS X now supports the Quartz-based Mac OS X Printing Manager.
  15. Ant builds occur in a separate JVM by default

16. Read about Eclipse 3.0 M5 in Eclipse 3.0 M5 - New and Noteworthy

Eclipse Home Page

Threaded Messages (42)

• Nice again[ Go to top ]

Many goodies arriving today. I suppose it's just to say thank you and start to download.
  • It's free! Go Mac OS X![ Go to top ]

My new co-workers are skeptical of Eclipse (probably because it doesn't cost hundreds of dollars, like their favorite IDE.) One thing I'll say is that I like SWT better than Swing for everyday use. I have used Eclipse for 2 years and it will be difficult if they force me to abandon my favorite tool.

Saw a comparison to IntelliJ Idea at:
    http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?EclipseVsIdea

P.S. Mac OS X improvements are always welcome, since many enlightened Java developers are switching to Mac OS! Count me in.

I downloaded IDEA 3.x and played with it. I can see why some people liked it but I think Eclipse is to the point now where it already eclipsed (pun intended) the current version of IDEA. For the time being I'd say that Eclipse is the superior product of the two.

Let's see what JetBrains come back with in IDEA 4.0

One thing I'll say is that I like SWT better than Swing for everyday use. I have used Eclipse for 2 years and it will be difficult if they force me to abandon my favorite tool.

I agree that SWT is absolutely excellent on Win32. However, Swing has really improved on Win32 with JDK 1.4 - it now utilises underlying graphics hardware for repainting - it wasn't like this before. The improvement is such that Swing is now also excellent on Win32 applications. Try IntelliJ on Win32.

I use Eclsipe 2.1 on Redhat Linux 9.0 at home. The SWT implementation is NOT good on this platform. I watch is redrawing when I maximise and restore my editor panes - this is really frustrating. Its generally clunky (like old swing!). Now try IntelliJ on Linux - its snappy as hell! Its actually without doubt the snappiest IDE i've used ever (I use VS.NET at work - unfortunately).

My Eclsipse 2.1 on Redhat crashs about twice per week - always an SWT exception. Its my only Linux app which crashes. Its the only java program i've ever seen crashing in such a way which reminds me of an old Win95 box. NOt even MS Windows crashes that much these days and here I am on a linux box running java and its bloody crashing!!!

I am convinced, that despite earlier problems, Swing has now matured to be superb cross platform windowing kit. SWT is pretty great but its too late - its a good rework of AWT but its not the way forward. Its not as mature as Swing.

If you formed your oppinion of Swing more that 2 years ago then go back and have another look today - you will be pleasantly suprised.Roll on java on the desktop!

Regarding the IDEs, is the time spent messing aournd with plugins cheaper than paying somehting lke $400 for IDEA INtelliJ? For something thats free, eclsipe is great and i love it. But it doesn't even come with decent XSD support out of the box.....
  • True[ Go to top ]

Sounds like the "Have you driven a Ford... Lately" campaign, but you're right. I had used Eclipse on Windows only. And Swing is very well designed, but the execution has in the past been a disappointment. If that is improving now I'm glad to hear it.

Still, it's ugly. That may sound superficial, but I think snappy response AND looks are important in an app you use all day long, and if you run this on lots of different machines, FREE is definitely nice to have too. At the very least, apps should ship with a better look and feel than the ugly grey one Sun seems to like so much.

The ultimate would be a free app that runs consistently well on ALL of your most frequently used operating systems. (i.e., Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, not nec. in that order.) Skinnable to suit your OS or preferences is also a plus. Reportedly Eclipse has been (to put it mildly) less snappy on Macs, but this latest report seems to indicate that the same strides Swing has made in JDK 1.4 are also coming to SWT for Macs. Everybody wins.

Perhaps my dream for a nice, free, universal Java IDE has not comne true YET, (if not, we're awful close) but for the value I have realized already using Eclipse, I would have paid money by now. Not $400 though. You have to save that for your new Apple G5 system! : )

That's all I'm saying.
  • Is Swing really that ugly?[ Go to top ]

Here are some shots of a Swing application that (in my opinion) prove that it isn´t THAT bad:

http://valmojado41.tripod.com/logviewer3.jpg
    http://valmojado41.tripod.com/logviewer1.jpg

(make sure you maximize, obviously they would've looked better as BMP but you get the idea).

..maybe Sun should consider "hotting up" their default interfaces a bit to get past this Swing is ugly business.

And this the kind of thing a real "pro" can do:

http://www.jgoodies.com/freeware/jdiskreport/
  • RE: Is Swing really that ugly?[ Go to top ]

You'll have to paste the links into Explorer - looks like tripod don't allow links to files from outside sites.
  • Is Swing really that ugly?[ Go to top ]

Swing suffers from the first bad impression that it created and most people haven't bothered with Swing in jdk 1.4x , which is a quantum improvement over previous versions.

Therefore it is a pleasure to see so many people go gaga over IDEA : it is such a well written application and a great "reference advertising" for Swing.

I would love to brag about the other Swing based IDE, Netbeans, but I will wait till version 3.6 is released.
  • I have the same problem on linux[ Go to top ]

My Eclipse crashes atleast once a day on Redhat Linux 9. I am thinking about switching to InteliJ.
  • Give up on Redhat 9 or give up on eclipse...period!!
    (or patch redhats gtk setup).

see

http://www.sutternow.com/index.do?post=402880e6f791ba7600f791d6e3af0003
  • I have the same problem on linux[ Go to top ]

please do, you'll be glad you did
    And change your OS while your at it too :)

I never really understood why redhat is the linux "leader"
    once you've played with emerge on gentoo or apt-get on debian you definatly don't want to use redhat. And what in gods name did they do to kde, I think it's like struts, people use it because everybody else does not because of it's merrits
  • Re: I have the same problem on linux[ Go to top ]

Have you tried both versions? There is a motif and a GTK release for Linux.
  • Time to switch distos??[ Go to top ]

I don't want to get into the SWT vs Swing.

However, eclipse's problems with redhat gtk/swt may not carry over to other distros. Yes redhat 9 and severn have serious problems with eclipse.
    I switched to mandrake 9.2 and no longer have problems with eclipse crashing.

Its not eclipse, its redhats gtk setup. I bet if you used the motif build, it would not crash. However, it wouldn't look as pretty.

Matt

It is unfair to compare the Eclipse milestone build which is not a release by any means to almost one year old version of IntelliJ. Try to look at the EAP version of IntelliJ - Arianda build 977 or so and you will be amazed.

http://www.intellij.net/eap/
  • IDEA 4.0 buld 977 ROCKS[ Go to top ]

I am currently using build 977 and its just great. The CVS integration is awesome. And its better than Eclipse in many respects. I love that if you have made changes it marks in the gutter area where you have made changes and be able to rollback sections of changes. Its just awesome. Worth every cent (well I intent to buy it when it comes out - At work they give me WSAD 5.1 but I still choose to pay for IDEA b.c it lets me focus on the problem I have and not get in my way like WSAD 5.1)
  • Re: IDEA 4.0 buld 977 ROCKS[ Go to top ]

We use Perforce and IntelliJ and I am the one of the two employees that does not use IntelliJ but Eclispe. We are the only employees that have perforce integration in our IDE because IntelliJ only have integration with perfoce by calling batch files and Eclipse has tight integration with perforce. It even automatically opens files for edit while refactoring.
    IntelliJ is not bad, I just like Eclipse more because of the perfoce integration and the fact that it uses SWT.
  • Perfect timing - Thanks a lot Eclipse[ Go to top ]

U are the leader and will always be for being the best, fastest, easiest and none the less - cheapest IDE ever made by anyone.
    Thanks a million!!!!
  • Eclipse is cool.. no doubt but....[ Go to top ]

I use eclipse, rather the only window open on my desktop is eclipse( rest all I do through plugins ;)
    But evenwhile I am praising this product, I am slightly disappointed by its syntax highlighting capablities(atleast for default Java Editor ~ Comapre to VIM the ultimate). That is why, the default application that opens up my .java files is still VIM.
  • Eclipse is cool.. no doubt but....[ Go to top ]

not everyone is going to be happy with every small color , highlighting etc so please. start contributing to the tool then or get the source code and do it for your own. How much ever people get for free - i always see someone like u unhappy with something - those are generally called fuss pots.
       Eclipse is not here to make every tom , dick , pepper happy - its good enough for 99% of us normal ones.
       If u like some other tool go use it and if u r rich go and pay for it. but dont blame eclipse for a small stupid highlighting thingy which only u wanted to see. Go take a hike j.a.
  • Hello sean decor, I dont know what on earth made you take my post in a personal manner. Seems like you have nt seen VIM yet. You ask anyone who use VIM and you will know what it is.. and for your information VIM is not used by every Tom Dic and Pepper.. it is for real coders and it is *Free* and *Open* also, asks to *Help poor children in Uganda* that simple message in VIM makes it superior to any other computer software.
    I am never against eclips or the syntax highlighting of eclipse( from the fire in your post some how I feel that you are responsible for that rather shady "decor" in eclipse java editor).

go watch the movie "anger management"
    Peace.
  • Poor Ant Support[ Go to top ]

I considered switching to Eclipse from Netbeans a few months ago, and was disappointed by the Eclipse Ant support. I LOVE Netbeans' Ant support, while in Eclipse, trying to do something as simple as executing a build script not called "build.xml" is an exercise in futility.

I also agree with the comment regarding SWT on Linux. Personally, I see no problems with Swing on the newest JDK, especially when you compare Swing's performance to SWT on Linux.
  • Eclipse 3.0 M5 Released[ Go to top ]

I used Eclipse 2.* and 3M. Both run out of memory and crash! The user interface is really not intuitive. However it is still a good deal for free. As for those who think that Eclipse is the leader, I am certain that your companies are too poor to buy a cheap and superb commercial IDE called IDEA.

Exactly Sam, this is the most overrated project since concorde. Actually I changed companies recently and had to endure Eclispse for 2 months, 2 long months. I dunno which was worse the unresponsiveness on Linux or the refrequent memory problems and subsequent crashes.

That said its probably better than NetBeans which I used on w2k. I'd always like to think that, what ever people are doing they've chosen the best available and affordable tools to do the job on hand. Unfortunately its seems from reading the Serverside allot of people are involved in the commodity computing world and there the 500 or so euros would be out of their league.

Happily enough our entire development group switched to IDEA on Monday last, and whilst it has its gremlins also, its still a pleasure to develop with.

Exactly Sam, this is the most overrated project since concorde. Actually I changed companies recently and had to endure Eclispse for 2 months, 2 long months. I dunno which was worse the unresponsiveness on Linux or the refrequent memory problems and subsequent crashes.

That said its probably better than NetBeans which I used on w2k. I'd always like to think that, what ever people are doing they've chosen the best available and affordable tools to do the job on hand. Unfortunately its seems from reading the Serverside allot of people are involved in the commodity computing world and there the 500 or so euros would be out of their league.

Happily enough our entire development group switched to IDEA on Monday last, and whilst it has its gremlins also, its still a pleasure to develop with.
  • FYI: startup arg solves memory shortage[ Go to top ]

Anyone having too little memory with eclipse, start prog w/ args like so:

eclipse.exe -vmargs -Xmx512M

Obviously the less RAM you have, the lower the setting you should specify in place of 512M. I have solved all memory problems this way on even the largest, most involved projects. There goes your argument for spending money on this problem.
  • Re: Eclipse 3.0 M5 Released[ Go to top ]

I used Eclipse 2.* and 3M. Both run out of memory and crash! The user interface is really not intuitive. However it is still a good deal for free. As for those who think that Eclipse is the leader, I am certain that your companies are too poor to buy a cheap and superb commercial IDE called IDEA.

We all use IntelliJ except for two people, and one of them is me. I like Eclipse more that IntelliJ.
  • I Love Eclipse[ Go to top ]

I personally love Eclipse. It is very fast and easy to use and not overloaded with to many GUI wizzards, EJB generators etc. and in comparison to WSAD or JBuilder you don't need to have 1GB memory to just run the IDE.

Try the free edition of Eclipse UML a very very nice UML design tool that I like a lot more than Rational Rose or Together. The only point is that it is more for design and development and not so good for analysis, as diagrams like activity diagram are not so mature...

I also use the Sysdeo Tomcat plugin for an excellent integration with Tomcat.

Other Plugins I use:

- Graysky Logwatcher (Like a "tail -f" in Eclipse)
    - JAD Plugin (Integration of Java Decompiler JAD, let's you automatically see the source of any .class file "on-click" and in the debugger)
    - Hyades project from eclipse.org for a Profiler (not mature yet but usable)

If you use XDoclet check out the JBoss IDE project at JBoss for a very good integration (including Javadoc completion for XDoclet tags) of XDoclet.

Installation of plugins is easys just extract them in the plugins directory and that's it. If you don't like them - remove the files...

I am still missing two goog plugins for JSP editing and XML editing (tried X-Men, SolarEclipse and Lomobz but didn't like them)...so if somebody has a good tip, please tell me.

Mirko
    :wq
  • Missing good JSP support[ Go to top ]

I recently switched to Eclipse from Jbuilder4. It was just getting obsolete and I did not want to fork out 3k to upgrade it to the latest version.

I am very happy with Eclipse so far (use in windows). But I think there is still some room for improvement, especially in JSP development.

Currently there is none, not even simple syntax highlighting. You have to download plugin and currently there are not any good ones out there, at least I could not find one. I use Solar Eclipse, but it does not give me anything besides highlighting. JBuilder4, from over 3 years ago already gave me that plus code completion.

Also, some plugins that I had to download should be included by default in Eclipse, for example one that gives you the ability to create a reference class path and add that reference to a project. It is called useLibs I think.

Overall though, I have to say that it is a great tool. It is adopted by several companies as their IDEs such as IBM and SAP, has great momentum and we can only expect that it will get better and better.
  • Missing good JSP support[ Go to top ]

hi Eduardo

try www.myeclipseide.com, it is a plugin to develop j2ee aplications
    i used jbuilder 8.0 and switched to Eclipse and i just love it.
    first advantages coming off top of my head:outstanding cvs integration and with myEclipse plugin the j2ee development is painless.
    feel free to contact me if you need any help at lukmanph@yahoo.ca
  • Xml plugin[ Go to top ]

I am still missing two goog plugins for JSP editing and XML editing (tried X-Men, SolarEclipse and Lomobz but didn't like them)...so if somebody has a good tip, please tell me.

For xml you should try xmlbuddy http://www.xmlbuddy.com/

--
    Fabio
  • Eclipse vs IDEA[ Go to top ]

IMHO there is no comparison between IDEA and Eclipse, even the M5 relaese is far behind IDEA. But, Eclipse is getting better as it comes closer to IDEA features day after day (mainly for code navigation and refactoring). I use both at work and I have to say that I work about two times faster with IDEA, the problem is that I can't develop/debug Eclipse plugins on IDEA... too bad :-(
  • Effectiveness[ Go to top ]

I use both at work and I have to say that I work about two times faster with > IDEA, the problem is that I can't develop/debug Eclipse plugins on IDEA...

> too bad :-(

I think the effectiveness of you with IDEA is because of your knowledge. You've worked with IDEA much more than with Eclipse for sure. I will find vi users who will be two times faster in development with vi than with IDEA/Eclipse, but this doesn't show that vi is the better Java IDE...

Mirko
    :wq
  • Effectiveness[ Go to top ]

I think the effectiveness of you with IDEA is because of your knowledge. >You've worked with IDEA much more than with Eclipse for sure. I will find vi >users who will be two times faster in development with vi than with >IDEA/Eclipse, but this doesn't show that vi is the better Java IDE...

I could be but I ain't. Before using IDEA (3.0) I was using eclipse/wsad ...
  • Eclipse vs IDEA[ Go to top ]

I also had to go through lots of crap (including Eclipse, the most messy at that time) before bumping into IDEA by chance. IDEA is so poorly advertised but so far probably the only real one. Only people who NEVER tried IDEA can oppose it, Yes, it's not free, but worth every penny - Christmas is close, and even when they don't advertise it, there's always a link at their website from cca half of Dec to half of Jan when you can buy your personal license for as few as $200 (no difference to the enterprise, you can even use it to make money unless you are a company).
    Yes, Eclipse will finally get where IDEA is today in maybe 2-3 years from now(mostly by stealing IDEA's brains), but where IDEA will be at that time? Pleasure to imagine...
  • Using IDEA for Eclipse plugins[ Go to top ]

IMHO there is no comparison between IDEA and Eclipse, even the M5 relaese is far behind IDEA. But, Eclipse is getting better as it comes closer to IDEA features day after day (mainly for code navigation and refactoring). I use both at work and I have to say that I work about two times faster with IDEA, the problem is that I can't develop/debug Eclipse plugins on IDEA... too bad :-(

We do use IDEA to develop Eclipse plugins :) We even wrote IDEA plugin to edit 'plugin.xml' files.
  • Using IDEA for Eclipse plugins[ Go to top ]

We do use IDEA to develop Eclipse plugins :) We even wrote IDEA plugin to >edit 'plugin.xml' files.

Wow, amazing :-) But how do you debug your plugin from IDEA ?
  • Xml plugin[ Go to top ]

see my comments for Eduardo. as for the xml plugin try oxygenXml. myEclipse plugin for j2ee dev due to release a new version which will include xml support....
  • OSGI support in Eclipse ?[ Go to top ]

Anybody knows what is this OSGI Runtime option in Eclipse ?
    Browsing through the Eclipse message board, I came to the conclusion that Eclipse 3 is (or will) be built on an OSGi base for allowing loading and unloading of plugins without restarting the whole framework.
    Anybody can confirm this assertion ?

Thanks

Olivier
  • Equinox project[ Go to top ]

Anybody knows what is this OSGI Runtime option in Eclipse ?

> Browsing through the Eclipse message board, I came to the conclusion that Eclipse 3 is (or will) be built on an OSGi base for allowing loading and unloading of plugins without restarting the whole framework.
    > Anybody can confirm this assertion ?

from the equinox news group...
    >>
    The Equinox project is defining the runtime (low level stuff you'll
    never see) for Eclipse 3.0 (for both rich client applications and IDE
    applications). This runtime is now available as a separate download, and
    will probably be moved into the main stream after 3.0 M5 milestone. See
    the equinox homepage for more info (and for builds):

http://www.eclipse.org/equinox/index.html
    <<

Personally I think that the Equinox project is the most exciting Eclipse project going. What they've done is rebuild the Eclipse runtime on top of an OSGi implementation. This is how they gained the ability to install/uninstall plugins on the fly. It also means that there is an OSGi runtime buried inside Eclipse. This is a huge acheivement, it makes the Eclipse core runtime far and away the best kernel on which to build almost any kind of application.

ted stockwell
    technical director
    RPC Software
  • Eclipse is free and it is open-source[ Go to top ]

... let's not forget that. How can you compare something that is free with something that is not _free_ ? Last time I checked IDEA web site, the pricing sucked bad. If I want to pay for my IDE, I would never choose IDEA. WebSphere has much more plug-ins (infact, too much :)).

So, why pay for an advanced editor ? Go and download Eclipse. It's free.
  • Rich Client Platform UI[ Go to top ]

I do like that you can now use the Rich Client Platform feature. Maybe we will see more applications based on eclipse.
    Or maybe my favorite topic, a J2EE rich client framework based on eclipse, with a workflow engine and support for J2EE security, will come into being.

Juergen
  • Eclipse + JBossIDE[ Go to top ]

A couple of days ago, I setup this environment:

J2SE 1.4.2_02
    Eclipse 3.0 M5
    JBoss 3.2.3RC1
    JBoss-IDE 1.2.2

I am using these tools to debug OpenAMF, http://www.openamf.org/