Discussions

General J2EE: Does anyone know a tool the converts vb.net apps to J2EE?

1. I have a prospect who is looking to convert a .NET app (written in VB) to J2EE. Anyone know of any conversion tools (something like Java Language Conversion Assistant but the other way around)?
  2. I have a prospect who is looking to convert a .NET app (written in VB) to J2EE. Anyone know of any conversion tools (something like Java Language Conversion Assistant but the other way around)?

I would stay away from conversion tools, regardless of the language - these usually generate horrible code and you will end up spending more time fixing what it converted. What you need is a tool that would make the implementation of such project easy and available to all programmers. We are a BEA shop, so I would recommend BEA's Workshop - it has worked very well for us. But, tools such as JBuilder, Eclipse + XDoclet, or IDEA + XDoclet, are very good solutions as well. Choose your app server carefully, if you are going to pay for it, spend your money well and go with BEA, otherwise go with JBoss.
    Think about your front end as well.

Good luck and welcome.

Paul Jaime
    Worldco LLC.
  3. I have a prospect who is looking to convert a .NET app (written in VB) to J2EE. Anyone know of any conversion tools (something like Java Language Conversion Assistant but the other way around)?

There are tools that will convert from vb.net to c# or j#. Don't know how well they work thou. The java guys should be able to take it from there. Why the conversion?
  4. Why the switch?[ Go to top ]

I believe their security risk management group have recommended a move away from Windows\IIS in production to a Linux\Apache solution for web apps as a corporate thing which I presume was the killer. They also raised a number of other issues in our conversations to do with cost, concerns about maintenance, general immaturity of .NET and so on. It is quite interesting though since they were very much a VB/MS shop.