Discussions

News: Apache announces first Tomcat 5.0 stable release

1. Apache announces first Tomcat 5.0 stable release (18 messages)

The Jakarta group has released Tomcat 5.0.16, the official reference implementation which implements the Servlet 2.4 and JSP 2.0 specifications. This is the first stable release in the 5.x series.

Features

2. Performance optimizations and reduced garbage collection
  3. Refactored application deployer, with an optional standalone deployer allowing validation and compilation of a web application before putting it in production
  4. Complete server monitoring using JMX and the manager web application
  5. Scalability and reliability enhancements
  6. Improved Taglibs handling, including advanced pooling and tag plugins
  7. Improved platform integration, with native Windows and Unix wrappers
  8. Embedding of Tomcat using JMX
  9. Enhanced Security Manager support
  10. Integrated session clustering
  11. Expanded documentation

12. Resources

Tomcat home page

Download Tomcat 5.0

Tomcat 5.0 Documentation

Threaded Messages (18)

• great job[ Go to top ]

Great job Remy and team!
  • great job[ Go to top ]

+1

Good job Tomcat team.
  • documentation looks great tooo ! ( something jboss kind of people should learn )
  • Tomcat Stable[ Go to top ]

My friend use Tomcat 4 for production for nokia, and after 150 concurrent user, crash, is this Tomcat better? He use bea now, and work cool. now.
  • maybe you friend crap coder?[ Go to top ]

hmmm had to keep with the grammar level set.

we use tomcat 4+ for loads of sites - with much higher load than 150 peeps - your friend might not know how to configure the environment, the server or the app.

don't post that crap here!
  • I'm very interested in your comment that Using Tomcat4.0 could server more than 150 peoples. I would like to know how can you do that?
    You said, configuration problems. If so, can you let me knwo hour configuration tips?
    Thanks in advanced!!
  • maybe you friend crap coder?[ Go to top ]

How about your machine?
  • My machine is like these.[ Go to top ]

My machine is like these

Model : SUN E450
    CPU : 400Mhz * 1
    Memory : 2.3GB
    Disk : Internal - 9G *2 , 36G * 1
               External - 154G

Tomcat on this machine can serve with default configuration.
    Try to find bug in your application before to blame servers.

> My machine is like these
    >
    > Model : SUN E450
    > CPU : 400Mhz * 1
    > Memory : 2.3GB
    > Disk : Internal - 9G *2 , 36G * 1
    >            External - 154G

Does your application make use of a DB. In that case, do you use a pool for your connections (something like DBCP). The first thing I would look at. Not the only one to look at although...

Just my 2 cents
  • Actually, I intended to know your configuration tip on Tomcat. I don't have any problems on my application using Tomcat 4.X.
    I just interested in your knowledge on Tomcat configuration on serving 500 peoples. Oh! My application is using connection pooling, and I use Struts framework from Apache Group.
    Thanks in advanced!!!
  • How could the jboss group be so silly[ Go to top ]

Where could they find the profit with a such great documentation
  • Congratulations Remy[ Go to top ]

Well done Remy and the team, congratulations.
  • Excellent Feature[ Go to top ]

This was really excellent. This will drastically improve the performance of the web applications.
  • Clustering[ Go to top ]

Hm, I find it somewhat strange that Tomcat still clusters using multicast
    and supports no sticky sessions from a plugin or a loadbalancer (or so it says in the documentation). With all the hurrays raised around here, if you want session replication (which is debatable anyway!), then the way of using sticky sessions and only replicating what needs to be replicated is far more efficient.

Hm, I find it somewhat strange that Tomcat still clusters using multicast
    and supports no sticky sessions from a plugin or a loadbalancer (or so it says in the documentation). With all the hurrays raised around here, if you want session replication (which is debatable anyway!), then the way of using sticky sessions and only replicating what needs to be replicated is far more efficient.

Karl,

I'm not sure what's wrong with multicast as the mechanism for communications in the loading. I agree with you on the sticky sessions stuff, but what comm's layer would you prefer to see?

Jason McKerr
  • Production server readiness ?[ Go to top ]

Is tomcat 5.0 ready for production server ?

How does it compare with BEA, Webspehere, Oracle or even iPlanet, in terms of scalability, performance or even stability ?

Any good reference site ?