Best J2EE APIs for Swing Clients

Discussions

General J2EE: Best J2EE APIs for Swing Clients

1. Best J2EE APIs for Swing Clients (3 messages)

Hi all,

Our group is re-archtiecting our current J2SE-based application to be more J2EE-centric. I am experienced in client side Java and am beginning to delve into the J2EE APIs - so I come here with some questions.

What middle-tier APIs fit best for Swing applications?
    I am prototyping with RMI and Entity EJBs. I am not opposed to EJBs, but the overhead they require seems like overkill for an application that requires frequrent reading and writing of data. They seem more suited for Web apps. Should I consider an RMI/Hibernate combination; or a Struts/EJB/Entity Cache combination?

What other things should I consider as I think about the middle-tier for Swing clients??

Any reponse is appreciated,

--Bill

Threaded Messages (3)

2. Best J2EE APIs for Swing Clients[ Go to top ]

In your J2EE stuff server side you would use session beans to interact with EJB's

then in you swing client you would lookup the session beans home interfaces only once when the client is initialised and store these somewhere memory/disk as theses are serializable then when you need to interact witht the server use this interfaces to create a connection to the server and obtain the server side stuff you need, if you J2EE server is caching entity beans that will speed things up

> Hi all,
    >
    > Our group is re-archtiecting our current J2SE-based application to be more J2EE-centric. I am experienced in client side Java and am beginning to delve into the J2EE APIs - so I come here with some questions.
    >
    > What middle-tier APIs fit best for Swing applications?
    > I am prototyping with RMI and Entity EJBs. I am not opposed to EJBs, but the overhead they require seems like overkill for an application that requires frequrent reading and writing of data. They seem more suited for Web apps. Should I consider an RMI/Hibernate combination; or a Struts/EJB/Entity Cache combination?
    >
    > What other things should I consider as I think about the middle-tier for Swing clients??
    >
    > Any reponse is appreciated,
    >
    > --Bill
  3. More Questions on J2EE Architecure[ Go to top ]

Thanks,

I've had a session facade and some value objects to transfer data across. But, by swapping out the Session EJB for a straight RMI implementation I get a four-fold increase in performance (measured in network transfer time).

What about using RMI/caching/OR Mapping instead of EJBs/Container caching? Is it tricky to implement a scalable RMI server? Am I better off letting an app server manage my objects?
  4. More Questions on J2EE Architecure[ Go to top ]

RMI does not have native support for multi-threaded access. You can build it, but its non-trivial. It is easier to produced a thread-safe Session EJB than it is to build thread-safety into an RMI application. This is especially true if you are new to J2EE.

Also note that Session-EJB/Hibernate is a viable (and simpler) altenative to Session-EJB/Entity-EJB.

Having said that, you will probably get better performance out of something customized, because you will be able to tweak more things.