Which is better OJB or JDO?

Discussions

General J2EE: Which is better OJB or JDO?

1. Which is better OJB or JDO? (6 messages)

We're trying to decide which persitence technology to use. Anyone know the pros/cons on Apache's OJB and the JDO?

Threaded Messages (6)

2. Which is better OJB or JDO?[ Go to top ]

we had the same question 6 month ago.

we had a database model and had to access it. so we decided to use JDO, because it was at the time a official spec and our implementation offered a reverse mapping tool, which saved us much time.

OJB wasnt JDO compliant and therefore "proprietary".

besides: JDO is a spec, OJB is an implementation of JDO and ODMG.
    OJB uses the reference implementation of sun, which isnt realy fast (JDO).
    They are planing to write a new one, but still use the RI.

There are many good implementations out there, and it depends on, how your system ist built, and what part of the whole JDO should take over for you

cu
    ed
  3. Which is better OJB or JDO?[ Go to top ]

Well, I am currently looking for an open source JDO vendor. We have to work with an existing database schema so our classes will not map 1-1 with the database tables. The database schema is'nt very oo and has other issues, but we are planning on to redesign the database for the next release of our product in which we'll have a more object oriented design (mapping more closely, if not 1-1, with our JDO definition).

Yes, I did read in Apache's documentation is that it supports a compliant JDO implementation and that it won't support full JDO until the next release. This gives me an uneasy feeling. I think we'd like to stick with pure JDO since it's so widely used and has many vendor options (in case we need to go commercial later). So we'd need an open source tool that we could easily move from vendor to vendor (if need be) and we won't have to change any code (just the .jdo metadata)

FYI - We're developing a full J2ee application using struts as the application framework and Sun's blueprints as the business layer design. We're just trying to decide on our persistence layer (which we'd like to use JDO for)

Any opinions?
  4. Which is better OJB or JDO?[ Go to top ]

i think TJDO is the one open source impl thats nearest to JDO spec, but I think, that none actually is realy compliant.

try a comercial JDO impl. there are many expensive ones out there but some have nice licensing models (for example you pay per developer, and have no runtim-fee .. so you could install it at the servers of your clients) and are not that expensive (500 - 1000$)
  5. JDO tool[ Go to top ]

you should check out firestorm by codefutures - their tool allows you to generate db persistence layer using either JDO - JDBC - or CMP . You can try all 3 and see which works best. I suggesting this tool because its cheap and theres no runtime fee - just a dev license.
  6. Which is better OJB or JDO?[ Go to top ]

Well, I am currently looking for an open source JDO vendor. We have to work with an existing database schema so our classes will not map 1-1 with the database tables. The database schema is'nt very oo and has other issues, but we are planning on to redesign the database for the next release of our product in which we'll have a more object oriented design (mapping more closely, if not 1-1, with our JDO definition).

Yes, I did read in Apache's documentation is that it supports a compliant JDO implementation and that it won't support full JDO until the next release. This gives me an uneasy feeling. I think we'd like to stick with pure JDO since it's so widely used and has many vendor options (in case we need to go commercial later). So we'd need an open source tool that we could easily move from vendor to vendor (if need be) and we won't have to change any code (just the .jdo metadata)

FYI - We're developing a full J2ee application using struts as the application framework and Sun's blueprints as the business layer design. We're just trying to decide on our persistence layer (which we'd like to use JDO for)

Any opinions?
  7. Which is better OJB or JDO?[ Go to top ]

we had the same question 6 month ago.

we had a database model and had to access it. so we decided to use JDO, because it was at the time a official spec and our implementation offered a reverse mapping tool, which saved us much time.

OJB wasnt JDO compliant and therefore "proprietary".

besides: JDO is a spec, OJB is an implementation of JDO and ODMG.
    OJB uses the reference implementation of sun, which isnt realy fast (JDO).
    They are planing to write a new one, but still use the RI.

There are many good implementations out there, and it depends on, how your system ist built, and what part of the whole JDO should take over for you

cu
    ed