Discussions

News: JRockit 1.4.2 is Available for Download

1. JRockit 1.4.2 is Available for Download (16 messages)

The latest release of JRockit is now available for download.

New Features

- Certification with J2SE 1.4.2.
    - Improved 32-bit and 64-bit runtime performance
    - Improved startup performance
    - New default parameters for -client and -server settings
    - Dynamic garbage collection
    - Dynamic heap resizing
    - Browser plug-in support on IA32 machines
    - JRE packaging
    - Monitoring and management APIs
    - JRockit Runtime Analyzer tool

Read more about these features at: New Features in WebLogic JRockit 1.4.2 SDK

BEA WebLogic JRockit 1.4.2 SDK is available for download today.

For more information on specific release contents, review the Release Notes

JRockit is free for development and production for any Java application, not just WebLogic based applications.

See the new white paper on the internals of JRockit

See the recent product review of JRockit

Threaded Messages (16)

2. Great news.

I will update right away.

There is a session you won't see at Java One.
    JRockit vs SUN JSDK-VM vs IBM JSDK-VM vs Open Source JSDK-VM

.V
  3. Does anyone here know what's the difference between this version and

> the Weblogic 8.1 SP1 JRockit ?

JRockit 1.4.2 has significantly improved startup and runtime performance compared to the JRockit 8.1 (1.4.1) JVM. JRockit 1.4.2 also simplifies configuration and tuning through automatic dynamic garbage collector configuration, dynamic heap resizing, and different default parameters for client vs. server applications. Furthermore, JRockit 1.4.2 makes it easier to monitor, manage, and analyze the runtime behavior of applications through tools such as the JRockit Management Console, JRockit Runtime Analyzer, memory leak detection, and Java Management and Monitoring APIs. In addition, JRockit 1.4.2 now provides support for browser plug-in for Windows and Linux on IA32 systems.
  4. Hi There,

Does anyone here know what's the difference between this version and the Weblogic 8.1 SP1 JRockit ?

Also, when I was downloading 1.4.2 version, I was asked if I was evaluating or (already) licensed ? It appears that it may not be FREE as suggested.

Thank you,

Best Regards,
    ANJAN. B
  5. |Also, when I was downloading 1.4.2 version, I was asked if I was evaluating or
    |(already) licensed ? It appears that it may not be FREE as suggested.
    |

Thats probably more to do with the mooks who did the website than any licensing.
    You will get the same question with any software you download from BEA at the moment.

Its been stated numerous times though, that JRockit is free.

-Nick
  6. Free for all or only for Weblogic customers?
    While installing the jdk, it shows an installation splash screen
    showing it's free for weblogic customers. (!?)
  7. JRockit is Free to Everyone[ Go to top ]

JRockit is free to anyone deploying any Java code, whether that's WebLogic Server or not. Technical support is free to WebLogic Server users and can be purchased by anyone deploying anything else on it.

Eric
    BEA Systems
  8. JRockit is Free to Everyone[ Go to top ]

Any chance of it being compiled for Linux PPC? We're running YellowDog Linux (on dual-G5's) and having JRockit on this platform would truly be a blessing.

Tnx.
  9. ?[ Go to top ]

Vic:

Where are you now a day's?

Southin
  10.   Does anyone here know what's the difference between this version and the Weblogic 8.1 SP1 JRockit ?

Previously JRockit has been released using the WebLogic Platform numbering convention (e.g. 7.0, 8.1, etc.). However, since this naming did not clearly identify the J2SE compatibilty of that particular JRockit release, we decided to revert the JRockit naming and numbering to correspond to the J2SE compatiblity beginning with the JRockit 1.4.2 release.

So, JRockit 1.4.2 is J2SE 1.4.2 compatible.

JRockit 8.1 (and all SP releases) is J2SE 1.4.1 compatible
    JRockit 7.0 (and all SP releases) is J2SE 1.3.1 compatible

Thanks,
    Arvind Jain
    JRockit Product Manager
  11. Does Weblogic 7 is certified to use JRockit 1.4.2 ??
  12. JRockit 1.4.2 - weblogic 8.1[ Go to top ]

Is wls8.1SP2 going to support 1.4.2? When is SP2 being released?
  13. JRockit 1.4.2 - weblogic 8.1[ Go to top ]

Is wls8.1SP2 going to support 1.4.2? When is SP2 being released?

WLS 8.1 SP2, which is scheduled for release later this month, will continue to support the 1.4.1 JDK. However, the next service pack release, 8.1 SP3 will support the 1.4.2 JDK on all platforms (including JRockit 1.4.2 on Intel platforms).

Arvind Jain
    JRockit Product Manager
  14. Never tried jRockit or another JVM only SUN, wich one is better IBM, jRockit, SUN, ... ?

Thanks
  15. best JVM?[ Go to top ]

Rafael: Never tried jRockit or another JVM only SUN, wich one is better IBM, jRockit, SUN, ... ?

Every application is different, so there is no single "best JVM." These JVMs only compete on the x86 platform anyway, and they perform differently on Windows and Linux. The IBM JVM has been much faster at math (all number processing it seems) compared to the Sun JVM. The jRockit JVM has been much better at handling large numbers of threads and sockets. The Sun JVM has been the fastest at general business logic running in server mode, but there used to be stability issues with the hotspot server mode that prevented its use for many server applications.

To be honest, with the above exception noted, we've seen the most stability and least weird behavior with the Sun JVMs. I haven't had a chance to look at the latest BEA release, though, and it's probably the one that's been improving the fastest.

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.
    Coherence: Clustered JCache for Grid Computing!
  16. Compatibility problem with JOnAS 3.3.1[ Go to top ]

Error happend when using the GENIC of JOnAS 3.3.1 with JRocket
  17. JRockit for amd64 ?[ Go to top ]

I wonder if BEA has any plan to provide a JRockit for amd64 anytime soon ?