Apache Creates Top Level Logging Services Project

Discussions

News: Apache Creates Top Level Logging Services Project

1. Apache Creates Top Level Logging Services Project (16 messages)

The Apache board has passed through a proposal to create a new project called "Apache Logging Services". The Logging Services project is intended to provide cross-language logging services for purposes of application debugging and auditing. There is hope that the bridging API will be a lot simpler and smaller than that of commons-logging.

The discussions leading to the submission of this resolution can be found at:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=107115526200001&r=1&w=2

We should also mention that thanks to the relentless efforts of many developers and in particular those of Scott Deboy, we currently have inter-operability between the following projects:

* Log4Cxx (c++)
      * Log4CPlus
      * Log4j
      * Log4Net
      * Log4Perl
      * Log4PHP
      * JDK1.4's util.logging framework

View the Apache Board Resolution
  2. Why yet another logging API?[ Go to top ]

"A lot simpler and smaller" than commons-logging - considering 22 KB for commons-logging-api.jar and its absolutely minimal Log API? Cross-language logging services - do they mean logging into the same log sinks (if yes, why does this require a new API)?

I don't seem to get the point here: Why does the Java world need yet another logging abstraction API, after java.util.logging and in particular Apache's own commons-logging?

Juergen
  3. !another logging API[ Go to top ]

It's not an API they are proposing; it's a service which will be compatible with the APIs listed in the resolution.
  4. Apache Logging, SMTPHandler[ Go to top ]

I am thinking about moving the SMTPHandler project into the Apache
    Logging project.

http://smtphander.sourceforge.net/
  5. Apache Logging, SMTPHandler[ Go to top ]

Oops. The correct link is http://smtphandler.sourceforge.net
  6. Maybe it is just me but why is logging so interesting it warrants all this effort? I seem to do just well without all this. This makes me yawn.
  7. RE:Yawning at logging[ Go to top ]

Logging is very interesting and important to the sysadmins who actually manage applications ;-)

-Brian
  8. This is awesome! I was starting to think that Hani would run out of targets ;-)

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.
    Coherence: Clustered JCache for Grid Computing!
  9. XpoLog and The new Logging API[ Go to top ]

XpoLog will be integrated with the new Logging API as it is
    Integrated to log4j.

Haim
    www.xpolog.com
  10. This is awesome! I was starting to think that Hani would run out of targets ;-)

He's busy selling motorcycles on eBay.
  11. I hope that Hani get his auctions done and return to his job. This is a perfect target.

IMHO I think that Ceki is still so freaked out that sun has not taken log4j as the implementation for the JDK1.4 logging API that he is now searching for another way to make his stand as the "logging" man.
    Since he cannot be the Java logging guru why not aim at a bigger goal?
  12. I hope that Hani get his auctions done and return to his job. This is a perfect target.

>
    > IMHO I think that Ceki is still so freaked out that sun has not taken log4j as the implementation for the JDK1.4 logging API that he is now searching for another way to make his stand as the "logging" man.
    > Since he cannot be the Java logging guru why not aim at a bigger goal?

I think that's far-fetched. I think of Ceki as the logging guru (and even more so when we get TRACE in log4j! Hear that, Ceki? TRACE!).

Do people really use the JDK1.4 logging? Given the health and existance of log4j, the jdk logging struck me as a mistake and a non-starter.
  13. Do you mean "trace" like "show me the value of x":

trace(x);

Output:

x=3

That's pretty easy to do in Java, especially since JDK 1.4.

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.
    Coherence: Clustered JCache for Grid Computing!
  14. Do you mean "trace" like "show me the value of x":

>
    > trace(x);
    >
    > Output:
    >
    > x=3
    >
    > That's pretty easy to do in Java, especially since JDK 1.4.

yeah but, uh, log4j is like, umm, superior framework and stuff.. you just don't get it!
  15. Do you mean "trace" like "show me the value of x":

>
    > trace(x);
    >
    > Output:
    >
    > x=3
    >
    > That's pretty easy to do in Java, especially since JDK 1.4.
    >

No. I was referring to adding trace as a level to log4j. Long battle on the user list. Me bringing it up in public is a bit of a good-natured joke between me and Ceki.
  16. Actually, it's quite easy to extend log4j's Level Class to implement your own Levels (in this case TRACE Level). All you have to do figure out where should TRACE exists? below DEBUG or above.

regds,
    Srini
  17. This is great![ Go to top ]

We have both C++ and Java applications in the same project. We created our own socketed based logging service. It is great to see that Apache started cross-language logging services project!