JCP Watch: Tiger Community Review, New life for JCache?

Discussions

News: JCP Watch: Tiger Community Review, New life for JCache?

1. The J2SE 1.5 (Tiger) release is drawing closer. JSR 176: J2SE 1.5 (Tiger) Release Contents has just gone into community review. This teases those who aren't part of the JCP, as it shows progress is (hopefully) happening, but we can't see what :).

Visit the JSR 176: J2SE 1.5 (Tiger) Release Contents home page.

JSR 107: JCache seems to have been fairly stagnant for awhile. TSS' good friend Cameron Purdy has been made specification lead, and we hope that he will spur it on, and bring about a final JSR.

And, the JSR 107: JCache - Java Temporary Caching API home page.

Does this mean that we can bug Cameron in the TSS community to get features that we want? :)

Threaded Messages (12)

2. OSCache[ Go to top ]

Will OSCache support JSR 107?
  3. OSCache[ Go to top ]

Will OSCache support JSR 107?

From what I've seen of OSCache, it would not be hard for it to support the APIs that the expert group is discussing, and from what I've heard, it sounds like they do plan to support the APIs as soon as they become public, but obviously I can't speak for the OSCache developers.

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.
    Coherence: Clustered JCache for Grid Computing!
  4. OSCache[ Go to top ]

IS OSCache publicly free?
  5. OSCache[ Go to top ]

Yes, OSCache can be downloaded from the Open Symphony web site (opensymphony.com).

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.
    Coherence: Clustered JCache for Grid Computing!
  6. Congratulations[ Go to top ]

Congratulations, Cameron on your appointment as specification lead. It will be great to have someone so knowledgeable in this area from the developer community involved in an API spec. :D
  7. Congratulations[ Go to top ]

the real benefit is that a knowledgeable product owner is the spec lead...hence, he will be motivated to get the spec out asap, both for his company's benefit and for the community at large.
  8. Tangosol marketing said they are JCache compliant: http://www.tangosol.com/press-20030204.jsp

I wonder on what they base their claim because the spec doesn't exist and it seems will never come out. It's good example of a JCP that is used to kill a momentum/to limit the standardization/openness of a technology in favor of companies.
  9. Standard on clustered caches[ Go to top ]

Does JCache cover local caches only does it intend to spec out how distributed, clustered caches should work?
  10. Standard on clustered caches[ Go to top ]

Does JCache cover local caches only does it intend to spec out how distributed, clustered caches should work?

It is mainly concerned with local caches. Obviously some vendors will support distributed (partitioned) and/or replicated caches as well.
    Bela
  11. Tiger, java.util.logging[ Go to top ]

Will the Tiger release contain any java.util.logging enhancements?
  12. Tiger, java.util.logging[ Go to top ]

As far as I remember they should. I don't know is Calvin Remembers it or not:-)
  13. What logging enhancements?[ Go to top ]

>As far as I remember they should.
    >I don't know is Calvin Remembers it or not:-)

What logging enhancements are being discussed?