J2SE 1.5 Early Access Available Now

Discussions

News: J2SE 1.5 Early Access Available Now

1. J2SE 1.5 Early Access Available Now (43 messages)

Javalobby has been working closely with Sun to help make the upcoming J2SE 1.5 code available earlier in the development cycle, and we are please to tell our friends at TSS that a Tiger "alpha" release is now available.

Read the JL forum message: J2SE 1.5 Early Access For Javalobby Members Happy Holidays!

This is a good step forward for Sun to be working more openly with the Java developer community. If we wish for them to continue in this way, then it is important for people to respect the simple conditions under which this release has been provided. I need to call attention to a few key points:

2. This is a preliminary release, so it WILL have bugs and problems.
  3. You cannot and must not discuss this release publicly, even at Javalobby or TheServerSide!
  4. Your insights and feedback to Sun are crucial to making this effort AND J2SE 1.5 a success!

5. Thanks in advance for respecting the conditions of this early release, and I have all confidence that the great Javalobby membership will make it worthwhile for everyone! Please feel free to share this url (registration required) with your friends. They are welcome to participate in the early access process, but they simply need to be Javalobby members in order to do so.

Threaded Messages (43)

• J2SE 1.5 Early Access Available Now[ Go to top ]

Kudos to Sun for putting this out early, and to JavaLobby for any involvement they have had in pushing that forward.

I noticed that the simple conditions you listed (neither here nor on the JL page) for playing with Alpha don't include registering as a member of Javalobby, so for those who just want to get the alpha and provide Sun feedback, here is a direct link:

http://java.sun.com/developer/earlyAccess/j2sdk150_alpha/
  • Please don't post direct link[ Go to top ]

"They are welcome to participate in the early access process, but they simply need to be Javalobby members in order to do so."

It's really simple - we have worked very hard to get Sun to open up this much. The access link was not supposed to be published publicly, but using a simple link was the only way the alpha could be made available before the Sun holiday week.

I hope everyone will respect the effort that has gone into making this program possible, and PLEASE do not post the direct link anywhere! It will jeopardize the entire process.

Just tell your friends to visit: http://www.javalobby.org/thread.jspa?forumID=61&threadID=10482

Happy Holidays,
    Rick Ross

Using the direct links is useful when you don't want to register on yet another site with blinking banners. The JDK is Sun's, so why not download it there directly without having to be part of some unwanted PR thing that most of us are probably not interested in.

S.
  • I agree 100%[ Go to top ]

Using the direct links is useful when you don't want to register on yet another site with blinking banners. The JDK is Sun's, so why not download it there directly without having to be part of some unwanted PR thing that most of us are probably not interested in.

>
    >  S.

I see no reason why I should be part of Javalobby before I can download this thing. If Rick Ross is a true lobbyer for Java why should it matter whether people download directly or through Javalobby? I don't get it.

Francis
  • "so why not download it there directly"

If you can't bring yourself to respect a simple process and a request from the people that organized a program which benefits you and the community, then I suppose your statement and outlook are right on.

If you care for such efforts to be successful in the future, however, then you might we wiser to consider the simple requests of the people that make them possible. It's really not asking so much, just a little thoughtfulness.

Rick
  • If you care for such efforts to be successful in the future, however, then you might we wiser to consider the simple requests of the people that make them possible. It's really not asking so much, just a little thoughtfulness.

>
    > Rick

Why do you think such efforts could be successful only when we download through Javalobby? I really don't get this.
  • Francis, the program[ Go to top ]

I won't argue this with you, Francis. If there is some reason you cannot or will not respect a simple request to cooperate with the program that Javalobby and Sun have arranged, then do as you wish. I am neither your master nor your watchman. I'm only requesting that you respect the conditions under which this offer has been made possible. Failing to do so will make it less likely that we can get Sun to cooperate like this in the future.

It's a simple request, Francis. Respect it or don't, but don't rationalize to yourself that the response you're projecting will not hinder the progress that Javalobby has made with Sun to make this possible for you. Disregarding our minimal request is placing future cooperation along these lines in jeopardy.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year,
    Rick
  • Francis Amanfo is DUMB.[ Go to top ]

Francis Amanfo, are you stupid? You are talking to Rick Ross here. When he requests something, then there's some value to his request.

Moron Francis Amanfo, get this right, are you a non-American?

Moron Francis Amanfo, you will never understand the efforts an American puts in her/his work and make your (all foreigners') life easier. In return, Americans get to see parasites growing in every part of this world. These parasites suck Americans' blood and counter-argue with them.

Francis Amanfo (and whoever that's like him) Follow Rick Ross' directions and NOTHING else on this thread.

Also, site controllers, REMOVE THE DIRECT LINK (posted above) from this page. You're running a resourceful site here. Don't just enjoy Christmas, work a little. Do it!

Hey Rick, how come I can't allowed to go through your sily Lavalobby member login to get to that secret JavaLobby page with the link to Sun web site? That's after over 7 years of watching your banners... most of the time the same ones. :-/
  • Early access release[ Go to top ]

Seems everyone hear is laboring under the false assumption that JavaLobby was the only means of getting a hold of the early access release.

Originally, Sun started the CAP program to give a small number of developers a chance to alpha/beta testing 1.5 (mostly people who were already heavily using the 1.4 adding generics prototypes). (I'm a CAP member).

Someone posted directions on joining the CAP program at JavaLobby. Sun received an overwhelming number of responses from the JavaLobby members and had to start turning people away - they just weren't prepared for that many participants. (Not surprising since most beta programs limit their number of participants).

Although Sun couldn't handle just opening up the beta to everyone, they decided to be gracious and also make it available to JavaLobby members. At least that way, more people can get access to the beta.

So, quit your whining and complaining. :P

God bless,
    -Toby Reyelts
  • Early access release[ Go to top ]

I'm neither a member of JavaLobby nor of the CAP program. Still I can download it from the Sun link.

Regards, Stefan
  • Is Sun going far enough?[ Go to top ]

Kudos to JavaLobby for getting this out there.

With respect to Sun, Nick Lothian has some comments on this, and how it still isn't enough...

Read Nick's JDK1.5 Alpha Rant
  • Sun isn't going far enough yet, Dion...[ Go to top ]

But if we can demonstrate that the community is prepared to work successfully with them, then we may be able to get them to go further. I'm pleased that the people we worked with inside Sun were able to get this program engaged, and I hope you'll believe me when I say it was anything but simple!

Big corporations have a lot of similarity to very rich adolescents. They tend to have a very underdeveloped ability to accept criticism even if it is constructive. They become defensive at the drop of a hat. They can be enormously self-centered.

The way to get Sun to go further is to show them benefits and positive results from the initial steps they are taking. We need to be gentle, avoid hostiloity, be compassionate to their struggles and state of being, and consistently try to show them a good direction that leads to mutual success for them and for the community.

Would I like this to be completely wide open? Heck yes! Would I like there to be a read-only CVS for anyone and everyone to access to get the latest builds and fixes? Of course?

Do I see these as reasonable probabilities in the near future? No - unfortunately I think that would be hoping for too much. Instead, I think the successes we can achieve will be more limited, but they will still be progress towards a goal of general openness within Sun and a meaningful partnership with the Java developer community.

Best,
    Rick
  • Yeah Right...[ Go to top ]

Yeah yeah yeah...sounds like you only wanted to get more 'users' to JavaLobby and therefore boosting JavaLobby's status.

Who gives the heck about JavaLobby? If J2SDK1.5 is not available for early access directly on SUN's wbesite, give it another month or so and it will be there.

Who cares?!?
  • Direct Link[ Go to top ]

• Francesco Bellomi is DUMB.[ Go to top ]

Francesco Bellomi, are you stupid? You are talking to Rick Ross here. When he requests something, then there's some value to his request.

Moron Francesco Bellomi, get this right, are you a non-American?

Moron Francesco Bellomi, you will never understand the efforts an American puts in her/his work and make your (all foreigners') life easier. In return, Americans get to see parasites growing in every part of this world. These parasites suck Americans' blood and counter-argue with them.

Francis Amanfo, Michael Morett and Francesco Bellomi (and whoever that's like them) Follow Rick Ross' directions and NOTHING else on this thread.

Also, site controllers, REMOVE THE DIRECT LINK (posted above) from this page. You're running a resourceful site here. Don't just enjoy Christmas, work a little. Do it!
  • Direct Link[ Go to top ]

• Conditions for review[ Go to top ]

You "cannot" discuss this publicly?

Any you "must" obtain it through Javalobby?

This seems rather immature and short sighted. Eventually, comments will make their way around the net, anonymously or otherwise, and there isn't a thing Sun can do about it. Instead of embracing the community that lives by their product, they set themselves up for conflict. Of course, they could always remove the link and early access to 1.5, but they better have a hell of a QA department.

I'm sure this will be a hot thread.

i don't get the conditions either. especially the part about discussing it publicly (here, javalobby, or anywhere). aren't we discussing the release publicaly here by allowing posts to this topic?

Exactly. The Javalobby entrance is less of an issue with me than the censorship. I personally find value in hearing what other people are discovering. It aids the learning process. It also might save me time in finding out if something doesn't work because it's a bug vs. me not implementing it correctly.

\Michael Morett\
    Exactly. The Javalobby entrance is less of an issue with me than the censorship. I personally find value in hearing what other people are discovering. It aids the learning process. It also might save me time in finding out if something doesn't work because it's a bug vs. me not implementing it correctly.
    \Michael Morett\

Oh, brother - censorship? Give me a break. It's an early alpha release, which I'm very pleased to see. And doubtless a hoarde of lawyers spent countless hours putting the license together - this is what happens at big companies.
    Overall, Sun did a good thing in putting this out, regardless of the terms. So skip the drama, please, and either try it out or don't.

-Mike
  • Michael Morett is DUMB.[ Go to top ]

Michael Morett, are you stupid? You are talking to Rick Ross here. When he requests something, then there's some value to his request.

Moron Michael Morett, get this right, are you a non-American?

Moron Michael Morett, you will never understand the efforts an American puts in her/his work and make your (all foreigners') life easier. In return, Americans get to see parasites growing in every part of this world. These parasites suck Americans' blood and counter-argue with them.

Francis Amanfo and Michael Morett (and whoever that's like them) Follow Rick Ross' directions and NOTHING else on this thread.

I am not sure where this information comes from. You do not need to be a JavaLobby member in order to download the alpha release, although you do have to register with the Sun download service. It is available here:

There is nothing in the license agreement that prohibits public discussion of the alpha release as far as I can tell, except the standard language about comments you submit to Sun concerning this release.

I myself am mostly interested in whether anything regarding JSR-175 made it in, but I am sure many others will comment on things like generics (bleh), autoboxing, and the like.

Cheers,

Kinsley
  • Kinsley, I'm sure you have no malicious intent in disregarding this, but even the most cursory reading of the license makes clear:

7.0 CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION
    7.1 For purposes of this Agreement, "Confidential Information" means: (i) business and technical information and any source code or binary code, which Sun discloses to Licensee related to Licensed Software; (ii) Licensee's feedback based on Licensed Software; and (iii) the terms, conditions, and existence of this Agreement. Licensee may not disclose or use Confidential Information, except for the purposes specified in this Agreement. Licensee will protect the Confidential Information with the same degree of care, but not less than a reasonable degree of care, as Licensee uses to protect its own Confidential Information. Licensee's obligations regarding Confidential Information will expire no less than five (5) years from the date of receipt of the Confidential Information, except for Sun source code which will be protected in perpetuity. Licensee agrees that Licensed Software contains Sun trade secrets.

7.2 Notwithstanding any provisions contained in this Agreement concerning nondisclosure and non-use of the Confidential Information, the nondisclosure obligations of Section 7.1 will not apply to any portion of Confidential Information that Licensee can demonstrate in writing is: (i) now, or hereafter through no act or failure to act on the part of Licensee becomes, generally known to the general public; (ii) known to Licensee at the time of receiving the Confidential Information without an obligation of confidentiality; (iii) hereafter rightfully furnished to Licensee by a third party without restriction on disclosure; or (iv) independently developed by Licensee without any use of the Confidential Information.

7.3 Licensee must restrict access to Confidential Information to its employees or contractors with a need for this access to perform their employment or contractual obligations and who have agreed in writing to be bound by a confidentiality obligation, which incorporates the protections and restrictions substantially as set forth in this Agreement.
  • Well, in that at least you are correct :)

The definition of "Confidential Information" is referenced in section 5, Licensee Duties, and refers to Sun's treatment of information supplied as feedback to Sun.

Speaking personally for myself, I am excited at the opportunity to have access to even an early implementation of some of the (IMHO)long overdue enhancements to the core language. If the Javalobby organization (to which I neither belong nor frequent) or yourself had some input in accelerating the release, then I certainly am grateful for the efforts.

However, I have no intention of carrying on a silly conversation with you on a public message board over license terms in a prerelease software agreement--ones which our legal department has already reviewed. And I did not appreciate the inference that you must be a JavaLobby member to obtain the software, which you obviously do not. Good luck to you and your organization, but please, enough with the hype.

Now, back to the metadata...

Cheers,

Kinsley
  • Well, in that at least you are correct :)

>
    > The definition of "Confidential Information" is referenced in section 5, Licensee Duties, and refers to Sun's treatment of information supplied as feedback to Sun.
    >
    >
    Bloody reply key...

I certainly have no malicious intent towards anyone, nor do I presume do you, but all this talk about censorship and NDAs is ridiculous. Meaning, I am assured that there is nothing there that prohibits public discussion of the software (such as this one! :). Indeed, a quick google shows the discussion is already appearing on lists and such. So, please, enough with the hand waving.

Cheers,

Kinsley
  • Kinsley, I'm sure you have no malicious intent in disregarding this, but even the most cursory reading of the license makes clear:

>
    > 7.0 CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION
    > 7.1 For purposes of this Agreement, "Confidential Information" means: [...] (iii) the terms, conditions, and existence of this Agreement. Licensee may not disclose or use Confidential Information, except for the purposes specified in this Agreement. [...]

Oops! Even for you, who obviously is trying honestly to see the license followed, the conditions of the license don't seem to be that clear. Or why do I have the impression, that this posting of the license terms was in direct violation of those terms, which explicitly forbid to tell even about their existence?

Peace

Valentin Richter

Raytion GmbH
    Düsseldorf

The license states that it's a "1.4.2 pre-release" :)

• Does it work?[ Go to top ]

It seems, it does not work. I've tried simple spike like this:

package test;

import java.util.*;
    import java.lang.*;

public class Test {
       public static void main( String[] args ) {
            Vector<String> vs = null;
       }
    }

but javac cannot compile it. Autoboxing and annotations does not work too. Tiger without generics, autoboxing and annotations? Is it fake or what?

regards,
    Artur
  • Does it work?[ Go to top ]

Maybe you should try javac -source 1.5 ...
  • GOT IT Working with JSPs ![ Go to top ]

Man do I love Java, and man do I love Java 1.5 !!!!

But Since xmas i'm trying do test foreach loops etc. in JSPs
    "of course" using tomcat ( being a developer deploying on netware... )

But where do you set jasper/javac compiler options in tomcat ???

I was trying hard, reading web.xml docs, reading ant docs
    [ only up to 1.4 possible! :( ], trying chats, no success, argh !

I was very frustrated, i couldn't sleep...
    I needed to get this going to fully appreciate the new features of 1.5
    - as they are just too perfect for jsp development!
    ( I have a jsp that ist using HashMaps and ints heavily...
      This file will shrink probably by 30% !!! )

So i remembered using resin (www.caucho.com) sometime ago
    and being very happy with it once :-)

So i downloaded resin 5 minutes ago, unpacked and changed the resin.conf
    using the very good documentation:

<javac compiler="internal" args="-source 1.5"/>

et voila it worked instantly !
    Good work resin team !

So I just wanted to share this success to anyone wanting be using the new 1.5 features with JSPs ! They can do so with Resin.

Example 1.5 JSP: ( yippie!!!! :)

<html>

<%

enum Coin { asd, dsa }

//for( String s : request.getParameterNames() )
    for( String s : new String[] {"asdasdf", "sdtret", "cvdgz324"} )
      out.write( s + "<br>" );

%>

asdasd <%=""+(5+5)+Coin.asd %>

( Sorry for my over-enthusiasm and my bad english ! :-)

Have Fun !
  • IDE[ Go to top ]

Anybody have any idea how to get Ant or Eclipse to handle J2SE 1.5?

Javalobby has been working closely with Sun to help make the upcoming J2SE 1.5 code available earlier in the development cycle, and we are please to tell our friends at TSS that a Tiger "alpha" release is now available.

>
    > Read the JL forum message: J2SE 1.5 Early Access For Javalobby Members Happy Holidays!
    >
    > This is a good step forward for Sun to be working more openly with the Java developer community. If we wish for them to continue in this way, then it is important for people to respect the simple conditions under which this release has been provided. I need to call attention to a few key points:
    >
    >
  • This is a preliminary release, so it WILL have bugs and problems.
  • You cannot and must not discuss this release publicly, even at Javalobby or TheServerSide!
  • Your insights and feedback to Sun are crucial to making this effort AND J2SE 1.5 a success!

• >
    > Thanks in advance for respecting the conditions of this early release, and I have all confidence that the great Javalobby membership will make it worthwhile for everyone! Please feel free to share this url (registration required) with your friends. They are welcome to participate in the early access process, but they simply need to be Javalobby members in order to do so.

"Cannot and must not"? Give me a break.

Gal

• Huh?[ Go to top ]

<quote>You cannot and must not discuss this release publicly, even at Javalobby or TheServerSide!</quote>

What has this world come to? I am suppose to download 1.5, test it for them, then secretly supply them with all the bugs so that they can fix them.

I think someone has been smoking way too much crack.
  • Beta testing[ Go to top ]

What has this world come to? I am suppose to download 1.5, test it for them, then secretly supply them with all the bugs so that they can fix them.

You got it. Most companies have closed beta tests. We're lucky in that Sun generally has open beta tests. Sun has even gone one step further and opened up alpha testing of the JDK with the CAP program.

Again, I say, quit your whining and complaining. :)

God bless,
    -Toby Reyelts
  • Beta testing[ Go to top ]

"We're lucky?"

I think Sun would want to open this process up to as many people as possible. There is no upside to us. We're doing them a favor.

Sifting thru bug reports coming in from a wider audience is more work for them, so a smaller sample size of beta testers could be helpful from one perspective. On the other hand, open discussions about the alpha would lead to fewer "false" bug reports or even worse, duplicates. Does Sun really want to have to deal with hundreds of identical bug reports because they prefered we worked in isolation?

Done "whining and complaining".
  • Open Java[ Go to top ]

IMHO Sun have too much control over Java. How is Sun any better then Microsoft with what they are doing? In fact, with some of the .NET stuff being ECMA standards it is more open then Java. see mono. And how much longer do we have to wait for Java 1.5 .

When are we going to have library sharing? Apple have given Sun there implementation of this. see Apple's Java.

How much longer is Java going to remain backwards compatible? Why do we still have AWT package (the AWT classes used by Swing should be moved into the Swing namespace)? And Vector/Hashtable?

When will we have better native look and feels? see JGoodies L&F

When will we have greater flexibility in the deployment of the JRE? So end users don't have to download 15Mb.

Anyway, enough ranting from me.
  • Open Java[ Go to top ]

IMHO Sun have too much control over Java. How is Sun any better then Microsoft with what they are doing?

Why Sun must be better than Microsoft ? Both are very good companies and both are trieing to sell technologies for us. We are selling applications and we are not better tham Microsoft too, are we ?
  • Internet and the law[ Go to top ]

I wonder how a jury would interpert the law when something posted on the web is not to be discussed or linked?

Also what is the motivation for developers to educate Sun, for example on what is wrong w/ JSF, why not keep it a secret from them.

.V

Wow, what a Christmas to remember, what excellent timing from Sun! The kids with the presents, some Champagne, the kids wanting each others' presents, food, wine, more wine, more food, kids now hitting each other with the new presents, more wine please!!! Put the kids to bed, find a bottle of port, sit back and relax with Java 1.5, bliss.

So far eveything seems to work well, I've got Tomcat 5 working fine, I had a few problems compiling code that used Apache's Enum class but fully qualifying each instance did the trick since 1.5's is now in java.lang.

I know we can't say much here so I'll wait until the forum turns up but it seems to work well with few, if any bugs yet. It also seems to use a lot less CPU than 1.4.2 which is interesting. Metal LaF looks nice too (at last).

Excellent job Sun, thanks for releasing it before Christmas, I look forward to giving it major testing.

The rest of you, stop moaning, download this and start doing some testing. If you don't it will end up like a M$ product and get tested by the end users, it's down to use to make this work.

-John-