Discussions

News: Middlegen 2.0 VO released

1. Middlegen 2.0 VO released (11 messages)

Middlegen 2.0 VO has been released. It is a free general-purpose database-driven code generation engine based on JDBC, Velocity, Ant and XDoclet. If you already have a database, you can use Middlegen to generate code for a number of target platforms, including EJB and Hibernate ORM.

The Middlegen design includes a plug-in architecture which facilitates particular aspects of a target system. Existing plugins include, simple java classes, EJB, JDO and now excellent support for Hibernate. The release also includes, servlet and struts plugins. In addition, Middlegen can be used for documentation duties by using the HTML plugin.

Middlegen has an optional graphical user interface for advanced tuning of relationships and type-mappings. The release includes an ANT task to automate the process. A sample application is included.

Home page

Download

This has to be a favorite project due to one of the links on the leftbar on the home page :)

Threaded Messages (11)

2. What's new ?[ Go to top ]

I'm highly instersted in this project.
    Unfortunately could not find any information about this release on Middlegen home page. Especially about new hibernate plugin, and possibly about GUI changes. Current Middlegen GUI is useless. If you have more than 3 tables, forget about GUI man :))
  3. What's new ?[ Go to top ]

The primary web page contain general information on using Middlegen. I have a page on the Hibernate Wiki that details the Hibernate plugin as this is the target community. The URL link is this.
    You can resize the GUI to graphically show many more tables than 3. Having said that I agree this is an area that does require improvement.
  4. Middlegen GUI improvement[ Go to top ]

Thank you David for response. I downloaded new version of Middlegen with new Hibernate plugin and going to use it.

Middlegen GUI would greatly benefit from one simple feature: Find table by name.
    If there are many tables (>50) it's hard to find table you are looking for.
    Simple find would make it a lot easier to work with GUI.
  5. Middlegen GUI improvement[ Go to top ]

Thanks for the feedback. I have added it to my list of TODOs.
    Your request is more than reasonable - It should not be a problem.
  6. Struts Plugin status ?[ Go to top ]

Middlegen seems to be pretty good for fast development of prety-simple add-delete-list object application.
    The previous release lacks of a good UI generator.
    Has this version improved the Struts plugin?
    Homepage did not change about this particular issue.
    N.
  7. Struts Plugin status ?[ Go to top ]

The Struts plugin hasn't been given any more work. Hopefully we'll have some more activity on it the next couple of months.
  8. JAG[ Go to top ]

Take a look at JAG, (Jag.sourceforge.net) it does not support hibernate yet, but generates feature rich J2EE apps with STRUTS, from either a database or UML.

Regards,

Jean-Luc van Hulst
    Finalist IT Group
  9. Struts Plugin status ?[ Go to top ]

There has been recently renewed interest in this area and as such further enhancements are in the pipeline.
  10. Middlegen 2.0 VO released[ Go to top ]

We are using Middlegen to generate Hibernate Mapping files from the database schema (around 100 tables) and we are very pleased with how well it does the job. Just point Middlegen to your schema to generate Hibernate Mapping files and then run the Hibernate hbm2java tool to generate Java source code and you will have the complete Object model from your data model with out writing a single line of Java or XML!
  11. Middlegen 2.0 VO released[ Go to top ]

How do you handle changes in database? Do you have to recreate all the objects again or just one table object
  12. Changes in database.[ Go to top ]

The regeneration process regenerates all tables that are configured to be regenerated. The default is to process all tables though the Ant script has a nested table tag that can be used to restrict the set of tables that are processed.