Discussions

News: JBoss Announces Nukes on JBoss final release candidate

1. JBoss has announced the final release candidate of Nukes on JBoss, the result of a port of PHPs PostNuke.

Quoted from JBoss

"Nukes on JBoss is a full fledged Content Management System (CMS) with advanced user/group management, security rules and pluggable components. Components can be deployed at runtime while the application is running. It is all written in JBoss and most importantly nukes powers this website you are looking at it.

There are 2 sides to nukes:

The core CMS engine, with component management, security, user management developed by JBoss Group (Julien Viet).
    Infinite number of modules composing portals that plugin to the engine, developed by JBoss Group and contributors.
    "

Press Release:
    JBoss Group Delivers Open Source Content Management with Nukes on JBoss Offering

Nukes on JBoss Project Home

I wonder if there are any plans to have Nukes run on J2EE standards, and hence run in any application server.

Threaded Messages (24)

2. Correction:[ Go to top ]

It is all written in JBoss and most importantly nukes powers this website you are looking at it.

Correction:

The site which runs on Nukes is www.jboss.org and not TSS.
  3. Re: Correction[ Go to top ]

The site which runs on Nukes is www.jboss.org and not TSS.

is TSS still running webwork?
  4. Correction:[ Go to top ]

It is all written in JBoss and most importantly nukes powers this website you are looking at it.

>
    > Correction:
    >
    > The site which runs on Nukes is www.jboss.org and not TSS.

C'mon....the statement is quoted from jboss.org!!!
  5. FLash Remoting[ Go to top ]

Hi all,

Is Flash Remoting real world tech to be used in J2ee enterprize web apps as far as security is concerned ?

Faisal
  6. Where did that come from ?[ Go to top ]

How did the question about Flash Remoting pop up ?

It's an interest of mine ... right now I have the usual concerns about proprietary stuff, but it seems to be useful for simple data display. What's your view ?
  7. Where did that come from ?[ Go to top ]

To quote from the bottom of the Nukes page:

Remote Flash invocations, enabling interactions between Flash and Nukes components. You can easily design a module for both html and flash and have the power of Flash components. Help us develop the best community based website where we can all interact and IM and post through dynamic pages.
  8. openAMF[ Go to top ]

check open source AMF at
    openamf.org
    Fa
  9. Where did that come from ?[ Go to top ]

>
    > It's an interest of mine ... right now I have the usual
    > concerns about proprietary stuff, but it seems to be
    > useful for simple data display. What's your view ?

Open source Flash Remoting for Java: http://www.openamf.org/
  10. OpenAMF.org[ Go to top ]

> >
    > > It's an interest of mine ... right now I have the usual
    > > concerns about proprietary stuff, but it seems to be
    > > useful for simple data display. What's your view ?
    >
    > Open source Flash Remoting for Java: http://www.openamf.org/

I'm sorry, I'm actually a big fan of richer clients than HTML, but that site (openamf.org) is a horrific commercial _against_ using Flash.

I am running a browser at 1280x1024 resolution. The openamf.org site puts up a Flash based box which consumes only about a sixth of the screen. I can not resize the box, and I can not change the tiny text, which is basically unreadable.

I use Mozilla. Generally any HTML web site I go to fills most of the screen in decent fashion, and Mozilla can resize any fonts (which I have mapped to Ctrl-ScrollWheel) as needed, if they are too small. On the other hand, there are any number of Flash based sites out there which have plenty of eye candy, but are completely unusable...

Regards,
    Colin
  11. I wonder if there are any plans to have Nukes run on J2EE standards.

As far as I know, it runs on Servlets, JMX, and CMP. Which J2EE standards were you referring to?
  12. JSP and JSF[ Go to top ]

Probably the previous comment was referring to the componenets for UI development, namely Java Server Pages and Java Server Faces.

Personally, I would love it if there was a standard where a JSF (Or Struts Tile, for that matter) was configurable as a JMX bean.
  13. Hi Corby,

Perhaps this is what led to the comment: "It is all written in JBoss".

Later,
    Rob Misek
    Tangosol Coherence: Cluster your Work. Work your Cluster.
    Coherence Forums.
  14. 20 times faster ![ Go to top ]

PHP is far faster than J2ee, with/without ejb. If jboss site is running on jboss nuke, I certainly doubt it. jboss.org is slow ...very slow!
    Faisal
  15. PHP 20 times faster?[ Go to top ]

PHP is far faster than J2ee, with/without ejb. If jboss site is running on jboss nuke, I certainly doubt it. jboss.org is slow ...very slow!

> Faisal

While I spend 80 percent of my time with java I have to say that I admire the php-community because of not spending 80 percent on frameworks but on what 80 percent of internet-users need. Which is quite diversed and hard.

The more I have to congratulate JBoss to try to learn. Also the more I am surprised to here that php shold be faster.

Is it realy true that php is faster?
  16. PHP 20 times faster?[ Go to top ]

I would assume the "Improved performance up to 20 times faster than on PHP/PostNukes" is due to the widespread use of caching, as far as I know, PHPNukes does not do any caching (please correct me if I'm wrong).
  17. PHP 20 times faster?[ Go to top ]

It's not a problem of language, it's a problem of design.

The postnuke architecture as it is cannot scale, the same statement applies for phpbb forums.

These applications are really great on the design stand point, which is why we adapt them, but they are not usable at the enterprise level.

Nukes is based on EJBs, as such you can configure your data layer and adapt it to your needs.
  18. 20 times faster ![ Go to top ]

Who said anything about J2EE being faster than PHP? It is possible to code poorly perfroming applications in any language! If JBoss Nukes is 20 times faster, then I suspect the judicious use of caches is the reason (JBoss has some pertty cool entity caching).

Sometimes you need to stop looking for the killer language or platform and look to yourself for better application performance through sound engineering...
  19. IT IS FAST![ Go to top ]

I must admit that jbossnuke is impressively fast- faster than any ejb of non-ejb web appication I' ve ever seen. Faster than even Ibatis'! A very good job!
    Now I can see why Jboss Team "love ejb" as Mark said.
    Faisal
  20. IT IS FAST![ Go to top ]

We all love EJBs !!!
  21. IT IS FAST![ Go to top ]

Julien, I appreciate your work on Nukes. I played with them half year ago. Using that O'Reilly article I was able to fairly quickly create my own customized module. I was impressed, how quickly was the site configured and ready.
    However, I have started to have really terrible times with i18n, cause my site had to be in czech. After some time I found some class responsible for the setting of character encoding(it was hardcoded).Also the hardcoded html using tables for formating looked very ugly.
    I understand, why you threw away all existing modules and started from scratch in this final.
    Now I'm using snipsnap instead.
    However, I'm going to return to Nukes once these modules are rewritten and the most importantly some documentation exists. Good luck to you!
  22. talking about server load on php sites[ Go to top ]

This is one site that I see a lot users online and contributing a lot more than any other php-nuke site. Note that php-nuke and post-nuke are different. They have tons of modules/blocks available that make it very easy to plug into the portal.

Check it out:
    http://www.smirkingchimp.com

Check out the stats for the php-nuke site:
    http://www.phpnuke.org
  23. Congratulations.
    Steve
  24. "It's all written in JBoss"??

Good thing we're teaching JBoss in all the CS classes these days.
  25. indeed. it's a good language this JBOSS, I hear.

Also to reply to a prev post in this same note, java/j2ee is slow and PHP sux at scalability. C is primitive and C++ sux cause of multiple inheritance and lack of checked exceptions. We are just some perfect programmers and there ain't a single language to satisfy our perfect needs. What a twisted world we're livin' in...