Discussions

EJB programming & troubleshooting: how to deploy ejbs in websphere5.0

1. how to deploy ejbs in websphere5.0 (7 messages)

I deployed ejbs succesfully in weblogic7.0, I want to know
    how to deploy the ejbs in to websphere5.0 .I heared more feartures are there in websphere5.0 rather than weblogic7.0.
    if any one know the advanced features of websphere and how to deploy the sessionbean or an entitybean in websphere5.0

Threaded Messages (7)

2. There is nothing WebSphere does that WebLogic can´t do better, faster and requiring less resources. As far as I know, there are no "advanced features" exclusive to WebSphere worth mention. Working with EJBs in WebSphere is the worst nightmare you can ever imagine, specially without IBM's IDE (WSAD).

I have used WebLogic before, and now I am doomed to work with WebSphere. Their ejbdeploy tool takes AGES to process even the simplest EJBs, the documentation is terrible, and the list goes on and on and on. The ejbdeploy frequent error messages remember Microsoft style: "an error ocurred somewhere" - nothing compared to the always helpful WebLogic EJBC error messages.

Don't say I haven't warned you.
  3. You guys should start using JBoss because it's great, easy to use and reliable. But I guess you cannot choose.
  4. Anyway, if you enjoy suffering, here goes some help:

1. WebSphere deployment descriptors can't be edited by hand, don't even waste your time trying to do it. You will have to use the AAT (assembly tool) to open your standard EAR and make all the bindings;

2. WebSphere CMP mappings have been made by someone that indeed hates mankind. If you project has CMP EJBs, maybe you could try to convert them using JBuilder (the only IDE I know that allows you to change platforms at any time, converting even CMP mappings). It is just impossible to make (or even to adjust) these descriptors by hand - WebSphere is the ONLY application server that has descriptors messed that way.

3. You can invoke ejbdeploy from inside AAT, and then you can deploy the final EAR to WebSphere with the admin console.

4. Pray. Practice some Yoga each time you restart a server or deploy an EJB (there will be plenty of time).

I am here to help in the specifics, ok? Good luck. You will need it.
  5. how to deploy ejbs in websphere5.0[ Go to top ]

1. WebSphere deployment descriptors can't be edited by hand, don't even waste your time trying to do it. You will have to use the AAT (assembly tool) to open your standard EAR and make all the bindings;

In fact WebSphere DDs _CAN_ be edited by hand, which we did in a project with about 30 EJBs (although just Session Beans).

Regards,
        Dirk
  6. how to deploy ejbs in websphere5.0[ Go to top ]

Allright, you certainly did it **AFTER** using AAT to generate those "IDs" and cross-references. After that, minor adjustments can be done by hand maybe in simple descriptors like those of session beans.

Editing CMP descriptors is quite another story. Definitely not worth the effort.
  7. These are just straight out lies, you do not need the AAT (which has been replaced with a simple Eclipse base). You can deploy an ejb jar without any deployment code and WAS will generate what's needed then. The tools are extremely easy to use. There are tons of articles on WebSphere Developer Domain. These comments are based on preference and lies. WAS has ANT tasks that can help automate many things as well.
  8. These are just straight out lies, you do not need the AAT (which has been

> replaced with a simple Eclipse base). You can deploy an ejb jar without any
    > deployment code and WAS will generate what's needed then. The tools are

Is it a joke? **Who's talking about the deployment code**? Of course WebSphere runs ejbdeploy if you don't do it yourself. I am talking about generating the acceptable descriptors BEFORE running ejbdeploy (wherever it runs). Specially the CMP mappings. Don't you agree that WebSphere descriptors are incredibly messed up?

> The tools are extremely easy to use.

What tools? Those that are bought later, like WSAD?

> There are tons of articles on WebSphere Developer Domain. These comments are

Yes, there surely are. Too bad they are so hard to find, and after they are found you can have a good time trying to figure out what WebSphere version they are talking about, or if the information they present is still valid. WDD is no match to BEA dev2dev.

> based on preference and lies. WAS has ANT tasks that can help automate many
    > things as well.

Who cares about the ANT tasks that automate the ejbdeploy launch if the problem is to get the descriptors right BEFORE that?

And the AAT is still needed if access to the console admin is restricted - the bindings then need to be resolved BEFORE, not during deployment.