Sun makes room for JXTA

Discussions

News: Sun makes room for JXTA

1. Sun makes room for JXTA (5 messages)

Sun Microsystems is planning to incorporate software developed through its peer-to-peer computing initiative, Project Jxta, into its commercial software products. The open source project has been going for 3 years now, and Sun is planning to "slip Jxta tools into its own server and desktop product lines".

We keep hearing various opinions about JXTA and P2P that vary from:

"P2P should be used at the core of EVERYTHING. No more 'servers'".

"P2P was a fad".

As usual, the reality is normally in between the extremes. Are any interesting enterprise projects using JXTA that you know of?

Read Sun makes room for Jxta

Threaded Messages (5)

2. I am not sure anyone use sun software!!!![ Go to top ]

The real question should be "Are any enterprise projects using SUN software (in general) that you know of?"

I really feel bad for the state of their software business (app servers, netbean/Fotre tools, Portal/Integration servers,etc)

My conclusion about SUN is a company with very good technical team and very poor management team to make money.
  3. The real question should be "Are any enterprise projects using SUN software (in general) that you know of?"

>
    > I really feel bad for the state of their software business (app servers, netbean/Fotre tools, Portal/Integration servers,etc)
    >
    > My conclusion about SUN is a company with very good technical team and very poor management team to make money.

As companies other than Sun made good money on J2EE and Sun couldn't, others might figure out a way to make money on JXTA and Jini. Probably Sun don't want to be late this time. don't you be late too.

-talip
  4. Sun makes room for JXTA[ Go to top ]

The newer JXTA architecture looks very interesting if you are deploying systems all around an environment. I've had to deal with server-to-server communications in ad-hoc network environments, and considered JXTA for messaging. (I've also considered using Jabber servers to provide hubs, since the presence detection would be a benefit..)

Has anybody worked with the newer versions of JXTA for their apps?
  5. JXTA in use[ Go to top ]

The newer JXTA architecture looks very interesting if you are deploying systems all around an environment. I've had to deal with server-to-server communications in ad-hoc network environments, and considered JXTA for messaging. (I've also considered using Jabber servers to provide hubs, since the presence detection would be a benefit..)

>
    > Has anybody worked with the newer versions of JXTA for their apps?

I use JXTA as a framework for my master thesis, I must say that latest version (JXTA J2SE2.2) is finally something suited for "real world". Concepts, which were introduced by previous versions, were nice, but not running (bugs, bugs, bugs). However, every framework is "morphing through time"...
  6. P2P Journal[ Go to top ]

I would like to make an announcement about P2P Journal (http://p2pjournal.com) an online technology journal dedicated to the Peer-to-Peer and parallel computing topics. In fact, in March issue of P2PJ (to be released on 3/10), there will be an article talking about my experience of using Project JXTA's programmer's guide and example files.

So, read about JXTA as well as feel free to contribute an article to P2PJ.

Ray Gao
    Editor-in-Chief, P2P Journal