Discussions

News: NetBeans 3.6 Updated and Available

1. NetBeans 3.6 Updated and Available (21 messages)

I'm pleased to announce that the NetBeans 3.6 beta release is now available for download and testing.

Some of the new features in NetBeans 3.6 beta include:
     • A new windowing system, providing native look and feel
     • Enhanced navigation and workflow
     • 2-tier J2EE 1.4 support (servlet 2.4 and JSP 2.0)
     • Improved JSP debugging with JSR-45 Support
     • Tomcat 5 Integration
     • Code editor enhancements such as Smart Brackets and Code Folding
     • Integrated testing support through JUnit
     • Improved online help with JavaHelp 2.0 integration
     • and more ...

Read more about the NetBeans 3.6 beta release at:
    http://www.netbeans.org/community/planning/36/

Find out What's new in NetBeans 3.6:
    http://www.netbeans.org/community/planning/36/Whats_New.html

Download and try the 3.6 beta release available at:
    http://www.netbeans.org/downloads/ide/next.html

Read a review at Review: NetBeans 3.6 New Windowing System

Finally, you can help to improve the 3.6 release by testing and providing much needed feedback at nbusers at netbeans dot org

Thanks,
     -Steve

Steve Wilson
     Engineering Director
     Developer Platforms
     Sun Microsystems

Threaded Messages (21)

2. Biggest problem with NB for me was lack of ability to work on multiple independent (almost) projects simultaneously. Is it possible with NB?
  3. Well you have to use netbeans project support. Switching from project to project isn`t very time consuming.
  4. Project switching IS very time consuming!
    So I use IDEA normally(95%) and sometimes use Swing UI builder from NB.

Lack of good support for refactoring is another key factor for not using NB. Was that improved?
  5. I agree - project switching needs to be handled much better in NB and SunONE, or rather, I'd like to see no switching at all -- ie, you can work on ANY project mounted in your workspace. And as you mention, refactoring in a project (which is coming in NB 4.0?) is useful, but I'd also like to see refactoring BETWEEN projects. IE, I want to move code between projects and have each of them respond appropriately to the changes. There's a lot of things I like about NB/SunONE, but they still have a ways to go before I don't "notice" it getting in my way. Each release does seem a fair amount better, though, so they'll get there eventually. Can't wait for Gosling's stuff to get done and folded in...
  6. NetBeans 4.0[ Go to top ]

NetBeans 4 (due this summer) will include a major overhaul of the project system that will allow for multiple projects. Expect to see early builds of this on the site in the next couple months.

Thanks,

-steve
  7. thanks.[ Go to top ]

thanks for this version.
    i tried it and it so much better than previous version but i cannot still use it for real applications (i use jbuilderx). better design and good speed. just these version get much more cpu (i am working on a pentium 4 1700).
    i think version 4 will be usable for real projects.
    and want to see what will be the results when netbeans developing team use enhanced code from rave project?

Thanks again for this much better version.
  8. looks badly on W2K[ Go to top ]

Some of the new features in NetBeans 3.6 beta include:

>  • A new windowing system, providing native look and feel

New UI looks really _ugly_ on win2k, and is far away from native look and feel.

One thing you can do is switch back to metal.

gregory
  9. looks OK on my W2K[ Go to top ]

I'm curious that you think it looks ugly on W2K. I think it looks really good. Metal is beginning to look a bit tired to me.

Ian.
  10. looks OK on my W2K[ Go to top ]

I'm curious that you think it looks ugly on W2K. I think it looks really good. Metal is beginning to look a bit tired to me.

>
    > Ian.

I agree. I much prefer the new native look and feel to the Metal look and feel (on W2K and XP) and think it renders well. Metal is beginning to look old and very heavy. The new layout is also much cleaner - a great usability improvement. The legacy Metal icons just need replacing now.

Duncan.
  11. looks OK on my W2K[ Go to top ]

No it doesn't look OK. Just stop netbeans, open control panel and do change colors, fonts etc. or just select any theme without blue window title bar.
    Then start netbeans (with windows LAF). You will see.
    Blueish gradients on subpanels, dark blue o selection bar on property pages, strange white semi buttons with ... on right side of any property, window buttons from open drop down combo box.
    Also look at tabs with editors and 3 small buttons - they are inconsisted with tabs - they should be as flat as tabs, probably with some hover efects.

In fact windows native like gui i far far away in look from other windows based program.
    All GUI is inconsitent and still need _heavy_ work to be acceptable. That's why i wrote that old metal netbeans LAF i better.

When you select skinned WinXP and silver theme - gui looks better.

gregory
  12. looks badly on W2K[ Go to top ]

IMHO the biggest problem for SUN is Look and Feel, all the time they want to invent something better then MS, APPLE, etc. and based on the past experience it didn’t really work out for them, nevertheless they continue to push their L&F all the time and everywhere.
    Either make it better then other vendors provide or accept their L&F. in my opinion the NB has the worst UI not just L&F that I ever seen.

Why someone should have uniform but bad UI on every platform except of having different but good.
  13. Native vs. Cross-platform L&F[ Go to top ]

While I do feel there is a place for cross-platform look and feel, it isn't where we've decided to go with NetBeans. We spent a lot of time talking to developers and they want their IDE to blend into the native platform. That's exactly why we've spent so much effort to adopt the native platform L&F on Windows and Mac for this release. If you haven't looked at NetBeans lately please do take a peek at some of the screenshots linked above. I think you'll be pleasently surprised!

-Steve

Steve Wilson
    Engineering Director
    NetBeans Technology
    Sun Microsystems
  14. NetBeans 3.6 Updated and Available[ Go to top ]

Hope they fixed all the bugs! And Mysterious NullPointerExceptions when you try to de everyday stuff! If your IDE is buggy whats the point (i.e. they are supposed to make us more productive).

Cheers

Smythe
  15. Hope they fixed all the bugs! And Mysterious NullPointerExceptions when you try to de everyday stuff! If your IDE is buggy whats the point (i.e. they are supposed to make us more productive).

>
    > Cheers
    >
    > Smythe

In case you didn't notice this is a beta release, thus it is completely ok to run into bugs. Now if you were talking about a previous production release, then it is a different story... ;)

Regards,
    Henrique Steckelberg
  16. <rant>
    Yeah I know its a beta release. So it is bound to have bugs. I was refferring to 3.5.1. Its very unstable and throws the occasional NullPointerException ?!.
    <rant/>

;-)

Cheers

Smythe...
  17. Are there any plans to improve the current (almost unusable) auto-complete engine the NetBeans does have currently?

It's not scope sensitive. You'll see all the classes that NetBeans is aware of them. It doesn't matter if they're really imported or not. Does anybody know if there are any plans to improve it? It really sucks... Ugh...
  18. NetBeans 3.6 Updated and Available[ Go to top ]

I installed NetBeans 3.6 Beta in my home's PC, it worked well but in my office's PC, throught some Next steps ;-), it can only Back or Cancel when show "Import Information". Holy shit!
  19. Sorry, "Important Information"
  20. NetBeans 3.6 Updated and Available[ Go to top ]

This is awesome. On windows XP it works like a charm while Eclipse freezes for several seconds too often on XP. Well done.
  21. NetBeans 3.6 Updated and Available[ Go to top ]

UI is a huge improvement, very responsive on XP. been using this for a few days with no real problems yet. the change in the editor tab layout makes much better use of the screen real estate

big thumbs up to the netbeans team
  22. Thank You[ Go to top ]

Thanks everyone for posting your feedback. Ir's very much appreciated, and I ensure the NB team is reading every bit. We'll do our best to incorporate all your suggestions into the forthcoming 3.6 and 4.0. Releases.

Thanks again,

-Steve

Steve Wilson
    Engineering Director
    Developer Platforms
    Sun Microsystems