Pat Helland tech talk on Distributed Computing Architectures

Discussions

News: Pat Helland tech talk on Distributed Computing Architectures

1. Pat Helland of Microsoft is talking on our sister site. The interview is all about the history of distributed computing, and how we have lead up to Service-Oriented Architecture, or HST has he calls it :) The talk is full of interesting metaphors and analogies to discuss distributed object models, EDI, and how we do business.

"Find out what the organic development of cities, history, and software development have in common as Pat talks about high-level software design."

Are we getting closer with SOA (or HST)?

View Pat Helland on Distributed Computing Architectures

Threaded Messages (14)

2. Pat Helland of Microsoft is talking on our sister site.

That kind of messages are more appropriate on "our sister site" IMHO.
    If someone from MS talks about some .NET site then probably not all people find it so much exciting.

Maris Orbidans
  3. The topic is interesting[ Go to top ]

Maris -

I understand what you are saying. This is the ONLY topic from TSS.NET that I have linked to from TSS.com.

It makes no sense to link to a talk on a .NET topic (WebForms, ADO.NET, C#).

HOWEVER, if you checkout the talk itself, you will see that it is an interesting chat with someone on distributed computing. If this was on any other site I would have linked to it... so why wouldn't I here? I am not about cutting off your nose to spite your face. If there is content that enterprise java developers may find interesting I am going to link to it.

Dion
  4. The topic is interesting[ Go to top ]

Hi: Dion, with all due respect I never have found this talk very interesting nor does very informative. He talks at very abstract level and it is hard to get any thing out of it..
  5. The topic is interesting[ Go to top ]

HOWEVER, if you checkout the talk itself...

I'd like to, but the transcript is almost entirely truncated in Mozilla 1.5. I couldn't find a site feedback hyperlink, so please also note that _deletebookmarks.java usually complains: "Class _user._components.Enumeration not found." And the "bookmarked threads" table on userthreads.jsp would much benefit from alternating row stripes, like the "participating threads" table has on the same page. Am I the only one not surfing RSS?
  6. Not about .NET[ Go to top ]

I watched the whole interview and I don't think Pat mentioned .NET once.

Everything in the talk is about general distributed computing and SOA concepts, not specific platforms. It's just as relevant to enterprise Java developers as .NET developers.
  7. Rubbish[ Go to top ]

Information is information is information, get over it. If he's get interesting stuff about distributed computing then I'd like to see it.

Actually, I'd like a merged view of both portals with 'common' stuff available on both. Can they share a DB guys?

Billy
  8. share a db?[ Go to top ]

Billy: Actually, I'd like a merged view of both portals with 'common' stuff available on both. Can they share a DB guys?

They tried that, but the two fought so much that they had to be separated ;-)

(Just kidding. The truth is much scarier.)

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.
    Coherence: Clustered JCache for Grid Computing!
  9. Good link[ Go to top ]

I am glad to see this link here in theserverside. I have spent a couple of hours recently exchanging ideas with him. During the conversation, he talked little about microsoft tehnologies. He had some good thoughts on messaging, bpm and database. I gained a lot, more than any time I talked to Sun's engineer / archiect. BTW, I have not used .Net in major projects and have used J2EE since 1999.
  10. Good link[ Go to top ]

<!--I gained a lot, more than any time I talked to Sun's engineer / archiect.
    -->

You sound pretty childish.

So in two hours you learned all the intricacies of distributive computing... Did he tell you the first rule of distributive computing?? I bet not, ok have this advice free from an amateur "Don't distribute your application if you don't have too". Since I am a beginner, I gave you the first lesson, can you share the entire advance lessons you learned from him in last two hours:-)
  11. Common Distributed Computing Info[ Go to top ]

Absolutely yes. Factor out the commonality of information between J2EE and .Net. After all, they are both just solutions to a common problem: distributed computing.

Sidebar: regarding statements such as "the first rule", in our business always beware of categorical imperatives!
  12. Common Distributed Computing Info[ Go to top ]

Sidebar: regarding statements such as "the first rule", in our business always beware of categorical imperatives!

I disagree. Eg, KISS always wins. Ignore it at your perile.
  13. Sidebar: regarding statements such as "the first rule", in our business always beware of categorical imperatives!

>
    > I disagree. Eg, KISS always wins. Ignore it at your perile.

If KISS always won, we would still be coding in BASIC... ;) (Just kidding, I know it's not that simple!)
  14. The concepts KISS and Categorical Imperative have nothing to do with one another! Its like comparing apples and oranges.

But regarding KISS, beware of endorsing it blindly a la categorical imperative! Foresight is definitely a value not to be categorically dismissed. Check out Barry Boehm's book "Balancing Agility and Discipline: A Guide for the Perplexed" for an attempt to strike a balance between the two.

I would modify the KISS principle more along the lines of Ockam's razor: the principle that where a choice has to be made between a number of possible hypotheses, the one with the fewest assumptions is the correct one. But beware, the chosen solution must have the *same* explanatory coverage as other competing hypothesis.

-- Andre :)
  15. What do they call you in your team?[ Go to top ]

I don't understand why you are so interested at attacking others. Being a beginner, you really should be humble. Having an atitude like extremist from middle east does not help.

What you said about first rule was pretty much useless/nonsense. It is true, but useless.