[Question]How to understand Profiler?

Discussions

Performance and scalability: [Question]How to understand Profiler?

1. [Question]How to understand Profiler? (3 messages)

hey, you guys,

I am reading some specifications about Optimizeit,but i met a stone.

There is a tool named Profiler in Optimizeit, and it contains Memory Profiler, CPU Profiler etc. I don't know what's the exactly meaning of Profiler, and i hadn't find the explaination in Optimizeit's user menual.

Who can give me an answer?

thanks in advance.
  2. [Question]How to understand Profiler?[ Go to top ]

Profiler is basically an Agent which Keep perceving an environment(may be the JVM) and analyse the each class's different activites like Memory Allocation, Number of method call, Object life etc. So with this details the Developer can come to conclusion abt how an Class performing.
    Websphere Studio for Application Developer provides Profile which helps the Developer to identify the Memory Leak, Non performing methods etc.

Please write if you want more details
  3. [Question]How to understand Profiler?[ Go to top ]

Profiler is basically an Agent which Keep perceving an environment(may be the JVM) and analyse the each class's different activites like Memory Allocation, Number of method call, Object life etc. So with this details the Developer can come to conclusion abt how an Class performing.

> Websphere Studio for Application Developer provides Profile which helps the Developer to identify the Memory Leak, Non performing methods etc.
    >
    > Please write if you want more details

Thanks a lot, hmm..I think I'v got what u mean.

what's the detail u mean?
  4. [Question]How to understand Profiler?[ Go to top ]

Well, basically as soon as you want to perform structured (not trial and error) memory and performance improvements you'll need a profiler.

If you for example have a method that takes 5 seconds to perform. With tools like OptimizeIT (or JProbe, JProfiler, ...) you can track down how much time is spent in which method. This is even tracked down to methods of the standard library for example and you might recognize, that e.g. database communication takes 4.5 of the 5 seconds. So you will spent your time at optimizing the database, and not optimizing the 0.5 seconds the rest of the code needs.

A memory profiler helps you to detect memory leaks, as you can see exactly, what object references you may have that prevent the garbage collector from deleting the object.

As all of the vendors offer trial versions you might want to give it a try?

Kind regards,

Andreas
    http://www.triona.de/