Discussions

News: ObjectWeb licenses J2EE 1.4 Specification and CTS

1. ObjectWeb licenses J2EE 1.4 Specification and CTS (2 messages)

The ObjectWeb Consortium is taking advantage of open source license terms for the J2EE 1.4 platform specification that Sun is making available for non-profit and open source projects by licensing the J2EE platform specification and CTS.

"ObjectWeb Consortium Licenses J2EE 1.4 Specification and CTS The ObjectWeb Consortium is taking advantage of open source license terms for the J2EE 1.4 platform specification that Sun is making available for non-profit and open source projects by licensing the J2EE platform specification and CTS. This will bring the benefits of Java technology compatibility to the organization's open source community for development and deployment through its JOnAS Application Server.

The ObjectWeb consortium is pleased to take advantage of Sun's open-source friendly licensing terms through the Compatibility Scholarship Program," said Christophe Ney, president of the ObjectWeb consortium Executive Committee. "The grant of Sun's support extended to us at no charge will be of great help to certify the full compatibility of the JOnAS application server with the J2EE Specifications. This is very important to our community of enterprise developers and users. It will consolidate the position of JOnAS as a keystone of our open-source ecosystem."

Good news for Open Source J2EE!

Press release:
    ObjectWeb Consortium Licenses J2EE Technology Compatibility Test Suite

JOnAS home page
  2. Excellent news indeed[ Go to top ]

This is last piece of puzzle we need to recommend JOnAS to an average (client) company. I believe that J2EE compability tests are just making it so much more credible in the eyes of non-technical people.
    Congratulations for objectweb people for hard work and for this very good achievement.
  3. Congratulations to ObjectWeb, although it's hard to predict what impact this will have (I may be wrong, but Jonas doesn't seem to have appreciable market share in the projects that we have been involved with.) Also, does anyone have an idea when Jonas will be certified?

On a related note, it is odd that a "JBoss consortium" could not have accomplished the same for JBoss. And when will it be certified?

And I assume Geronimo will go the same route as ObjectWeb (sponsored J2EE license) .. but I won't ask yet about a schedule for its certification ;-)

At any rate, it looks like there will be a bumper crop of certified open source J2EE implementations, maybe by 2005.

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.
    Coherence: Clustered JCache for Grid Computing!