Discussions

News: Firebird 1.5 RDBMS and JDBC drivers released

1. Firebird 1.5 RDBMS and JDBC drivers released (25 messages)

Version 1.5 of the Firebird database, and the accompanying XA-compliant JDBC drivers, have been released. I have found this database to a great db solution for distribution with Java applications. It is tiny and fast, it lacks the license encumbrances of MySQL, and it lacks the Win32 deployment difficulties of PostgreSQL.

View the Firebird Home Page.

TSS Disclosure: TSS runs on PostgreSQL. We have been very pleased with it, and the latest 7.4 version is improved in many ways, including simpler Win32 support!

Threaded Messages (25)

2. Firebird is a great product. Simple, fast and easy to use and easy to install. Just try it, you won't go back anywhere ;-) It runs on Linux, Windows, etc...

I really wonder why MySQL is so famous because Firebird (InterBase), IMO is a better product (support of transaction is there for a long, long time ago, scalable, can handle a very big database, etc.).

Cheers,
    Lofi.
    http://www.openuss.org
  3. Perhaps I'm not looking in the right place, but I'm having a difficult time finding out just features this database brings to the table. Obviously it has normal database-ish things.. sql queries for example. I noticed it has stored procedures, which is always nice.

What does it offer as far as clustering, fail-over, fault-tolerance, and backup/recovery?

Its a bit confusing to track through the documents on the web site since its a mix of interbase docs from Borland, firebird, and all sorts of other things.

Also, is anybody using it on any transactionally heavy sites or applications?

thanks
  4. What does it offer as far as clustering, fail-over, fault-tolerance, and backup/recovery?

>

I'm affraid if your looking for *ALL* of those features, you must look on another place (perhaps Oracle?). About backup/recovery it comes with some utilities to help you repair a corrupted file, but anyway, it doesn't happen too often. The user group is also very helpful. Great support.

> Also, is anybody using it on any transactionally heavy sites or applications?

Yes I do, for some large financial applications, although in my experience Firebird can't handle large tables (millions of records) with good performance, over a HP/9000 HP/UX, Linux and Windows boxes.

Interbase/Firebird is a nice product, what I most like it it's simplicity. Simple to use, simple to learn. It doesn't come with a bunch of bell's and whistles, just what you need from a good RDBMS.

Cheers
  5. Also, is anybody using it on any transactionally heavy sites or

> >applications?
    >
    > Yes I do, for some large financial applications, although in my
    > experience Firebird can't handle large tables (millions of records)
    > with good performance

It can, but performance will be determined by the way the SQL is written and optimised, and correct indexing etc. We have tables with many millions of records per table and it takes the same time to 'fetch' a record as it does from a table with only a few.

Phil
  6. Feature overview[ Go to top ]

Perhaps I'm not looking in the right place, but I'm having a difficult time

> finding out just features this database brings to the table.

True, it was difficult until today. Take a look at
    http://www.firebirdsql.org/ff/foundation/FBFactsheet.html for a quick overview.

> What does it offer as far as clustering, fail-over, fault-tolerance, and
    > backup/recovery?

This kind of question is great to ask at firebird-support at yahoogroups dot com. All I know is that corruptions are rare (it happens, but I've never experienced it).

Set
  7. What does it offer as far as clustering, fail-over, fault-tolerance, and backup/recovery?

Some people have reported successful use of Firebird with C-JDBC (http://c-jdbc.objectweb.org). This way, they have all the abovementioned features. I don't know exactly about this latest version, but in the previous version Firebird didn't provide any of these features.

Emmanuel
  8. A while back I build some stuff using hypersonic and really like it. I've since moved to MySql and would like to know how Firebird rates against Hypersonic.

Thanks,
    Rob
  9. Firebird is the best kept secret in the Database world (both open-source and free).... Highly recommended.
  10. Firebird is the best kept secret in the Database world (both open-source and free).... Highly recommended.

Hmmm firebird and interbase are great but not for java developemnt. Does anyone have running Websphere datasource accessing Firebird or Interbase?
  11. Hmmm firebird and interbase are great but not for java development.

Have to disagree with you there. Firebird works great with Hibernate and JBossCMP, and it's got a nice set of JDBC drivers.

Does anyone have running Websphere datasource accessing Firebird or Interbase?

Can't say I have, but Firebird is great for small to medium sized solutions. If you are shelling out huge amounts of cash for Websphere licenses in a corporate environment, you'd probably be more comfortable with Oracle 10g anyway.
  12. datasource websphere[ Go to top ]

Does anyone have running Websphere datasource accessing Firebird or Interbase?

>

*kick* sorry if this is an old message, but I was wondering if some1 got it working ? Firebird sql as a Websphere Datasource ? I keep getting an error that it needs a DataStoreHelper of some kind ...

any help ?
  13. When defining the actual JDBC Connection, one of the entry fields allows you to enter a "Datastore Helper Classname". Enter "com.ibm.websphere.rsadapter.GenericDataStoreHelper" and then click "Apply". You then need to add a custom Property with the name of "url", type of "java.lang.String", and the value of your MySQL ConnetctionString
    (ex "jdbc:mysql://localhost/mydb?user=root&password=password&autoReconnect=true").

Note that I had to supply username and password in the connection URL to get the driver to authenticate. You should be able to specify them independently as customer properties, but it didn't work on the first try and I did have a lot of time to work with it.

I got this to work in Websphere Studio Application Developer and haven't tried it on full blown WebSphere, but it should work fine. I only tried this from a servlet. Using MySQL for EJBs/CMP EJBs will probably fail due to lack of transactional support from MySQL (at least fomr the version I'm using which is 3.23).

Hope this helpa!!
    Scott
  14. Hmmm firebird and interbase are great but not for java developemnt.

Beg to differ. We use Firebird with Jboss and it works like a dream.

Phil
  15. Which JDO products provide native support for Firebird, beyond just treating it as vanilla JDBC?
  16. Hi,

A) what do you mean "native" support for JDO ?

B) If you want to use Firebird with JDO you may try:

1) Libelis LiDO
    http://www.libelis.com
    (http://www.libelis.com/inner-index.jsp?next=Faq.jsp&NID=54)

2) TJDO
    http://tjdo.sourceforge.net/

3) JDO Genie
    http://www.jdogenie.com
    http://downloads.hemtech.co.za/jdo/manual/database_specific_information.html

C) Personally, I prefer Hibernate to JDO ^_^
  17. TSS Disclosure: TSS runs on PostgreSQL. We have been very pleased with it, and the latest 7.4 version is improved in many ways, including simpler Win32 support!

Dion, can you please share your experiences? The last version of PostgreSQL I worked with was 7.3.2. I had to run it under Cygwin (which I don't like to do), and getting it to install as a service was a bit of a nightmare. What has changed?
  18. from http://techdocs.postgresql.org/guides/Windows

The upcoming release of PostgreSQL, version 7.4, doesn't yet natively support windows. We had made it a goal for this release, but unfortunately we didn't get it all ready in time for the cut-off point of 7.4.

The next version of PostgreSQL after that, to be called either version 7.5 or version 8.0 will definitely support windows natively.
  19. PostgreSQL on Windows issues[ Go to top ]

Corby -

We aren't running 7.4 yet (on production or anywhere else). It is a shame that Windows support doesn't seem to actually be there (based on the other post).

For development, some people use the cygwin approach (which isn't great as you mention) and others use the windows binary that a company through out there. I would never use that thing in production, and it is compiled with debug mode turned on... etc etc... but for dev it seems OK.

I definitely think that PostgreSQL *needs* to seemlessly install on Windows. Hopefully the next release will do a good job there, as I would bet that a lot of people have passed on by postgresql based on this alone!

Dion
  20. I agree as well. For embedding purposes, FireBird is a dream. I use it together with some Python applications (and Jython as well), and it works like a charm.

pieter
  21. Hello,

with regard to embedding Firebird: can you easily (standard setup procedure - in an installer or something similar) install a Firebird on a Windows system that already has another one installed ?

I mean if you embed a Firebird in your program you have to take into account that the destination system may already have installed a Firebird instance. Have you tried this ?

Thank you.
    Vlad Grama.
  22. That's not how you do it[ Go to top ]

Vlad Grama asks:
    > with regard to embedding Firebird: can you easily (standard setup procedure - in an installer or something similar) install a Firebird on a Windows system that already has another one installed ?
    >
    > I mean if you embed a Firebird in your program you have to take into account that the destination system may already have installed a Firebird instance. Have you tried this ?

That's not how it works; you "embed" CALLS to the DB server. Or, I guess you could say that you "embed" a server installation in the install... Then you just don't install it again if it's already there; you just "install" your specific "database" (DATA file) onto the "database" (data management server).

You see, it's a full-fledged RDBMS, like PostGreSQL or Oracle; and you don't "embed" THOSE in your application .Exe, do you?

Too bad if the term "embedded" misled you; AFAICS it's used more to show:

A) how lightweight and low-resource-demanding it is, and

B) that you can "sneak" this onto the client system where it runs in the background, often without the user ever realising he has a full RDBMS server running on his box.

Stupid terminology, I've always thought; YMMV.

HTH!
  23. OTOH, I could be wrong[ Go to top ]

That should teach meto read the referenced link FIRST, and only THEn spout my drivel... Never saw that bit about "Embedded Version" before; maybe it's new? :-)

OTGH, maybe the "in a single DLL" bit implies that it could work with one database per application that calls the DLL... aren't DLLs mapped into the parent process space, as far as `concerns the actual data they work on?

Anyway, sorry, Vlad -- I obviously didn't know what I was talking about, above. :-(
  24. In my experience, you can just unzip firebird, run and use it in your java (or other) program. In java you can use a type 4 (pure java using socket transport) or type 2 (java + win .dll/ linux .so, using direct access to db file) driver. The only problem I see can be your firebird server uses an already used tcp-port (to listen for calls from "socket" drivers). I don't know if you can say firebird to enable only local access.
    By the way, months ago there was the plan to let firebird run a db from CD (read-only db), usefull to run embedded apps from cd.

Daniele

> Hello,
    >
    > with regard to embedding Firebird: can you easily (standard setup procedure - in an installer or something similar) install a Firebird on a Windows system that already has another one installed ?
    >
    > I mean if you embed a Firebird in your program you have to take into account that the destination system may already have installed a Firebird instance. Have you tried this ?
    >
    > Thank you.
    > Vlad Grama.
  25. Cannot connect[ Go to top ]

I don't know how to connect successfully to Firebird database.
  26. Congratulations Guys!

Downloaded it yesterday and gave it a run. The database is easy to use and compact. However, organizing the documentation will need some work.