Discussions

News: Sys-Con Announces its Readers' Choice Awards

1. Sys-Con Announces its Readers' Choice Awards (37 messages)

Sys-Con has announced its Readers' Choice Awards. The results are interesting, and to be honest I wouldn't have guessed some of them!

Some Results

Best Java Application Server
    Winner: BEA WebLogic Server, BEA Systems
    First Runner-up: JBoss 3.x Application Server, JBoss Group
    Second Runner-up: IBM WebSphere Application Server v5.0, IBM
    Third Runner-up: Fiorano ESB, Fiorano Software

Best Java Messaging Tool

Winner: Fiorano MQ, Fiorano Software (www.fiorano.com)
    First Runner-up: IBM WebSphere MQ 5.3, IBM
    Second Runner-up: SwiftMQ 4.0, IIT Software
    Third Runner-up: Oracle9i Application Server, Oracle

Best Java Persistence Architecture

Winner: Oracle TopLink, Oracle
    First Runner-up: Kodo JDO, SolarMetric
    Second Runner-up: Describe, Embarcadero Technologies
    Third Runner-up: The Open For Business Project, The Open For Business Project

Best Java Virtual Machine

Winner: BEA WebLogic JRockit, BEA Systems
    First Runner-up: IBM Developer Kit, Java 2 Technology Edition, version 1.4.0, IBM
    Second Runner-up: Oracle JVM, Oracle
    Third Runner-up: Excelsior JET, Excelsior

Best Java Web Services Toolkit

Winner: BEA WebLogic Workshop, BEA Systems
    First Runner-up: IBM WebSphere SDK for Web Services, IBM
    Second Runner-up: Oracle9i JDeveloper, Oracle
    Third Runner-up: Advantage Plex, Computer Associates

Best J2EE Application Development Framework

Winner: BEA WebLogic Workshop, BEA Systems
    First Runner-up: IBM WebSphere Studio (Application Developer v5.0), IBM
    Second Runner-up: Oracle9i JDeveloper - BC4J, Oracle
    Third Runner-up: Advantage Gen and Advantage Joe, Computer Associates

Best Java IDE Environment

Winner: JBuilder, Borland
    First Runner-up: Eclipse, Eclipse.org
    Second Runner-up: IBM WebSphere Studio v5.0, IBM
    Third Runner-up: IntelliJ IDEA, JetBrains

Read the full Readers' Choice Awards Results

Threaded Messages (37)

2. Parallel world[ Go to top ]

The results do not really reflect what I see happening around me ...
    I must be an alien :-)

Cheers,
    Seb.
  3. Parallel world[ Go to top ]

I agree. Very strange results...
  4. Parallel world[ Go to top ]

The results do not really reflect what I see happening around me ..

Nope, it is the perfect reflection of what is happening. Vendors started campaigning again…

I am dreaming of time when integrators and IT departments will drive course of industry….
  5. TSS Readers' Choice Awards[ Go to top ]

Is it possible to host in TSS it's own "Readers choice" to reflect *real* preferences of java developers ?
  6. JBuilder 7, 8, 9 or X, would be my latest choice.
  7. JBuilder[ Go to top ]

JBuilder 7, 8, 9 or X, would be my latest choice.

Yes, I have to agree with that! I am forced to work with JBuilder X in my current project, and it _REALLY_ sucks. Only some of JBuilder's "features":

- Code insight, refactoring, etc. requires .class files, which is extremely annoying when you rebuild your project and thereby encounter a compile error. In this case you cannot sensibly proceed working with JBuilder until you fixed all compile errors. Further, you have no code insight for new classes, that have not been compiled yet.
    - When configuring an EJB module, the class includes and excludes dont't work correctly. For example including a package xyz/*.* also results in a JAR file also containing classes from other package outside that package. Including a package xyz/** results in a JAR file containing none classes of packages below the xyz package.
    - The deployment descriptor editor arbitrarily deletes configurations when reopening the editor (or it does not save them correctly).
    - There is a serious bug when using WebLogic Server and web modules containing JSPs, resulting in an error when building the web module.
    - Often, you get _VERY_ meaningfull error messages when building modules, e.g. 'NullPointerException'.
    - Building a project takes it times. One of our project takes at least 30 minutes!!!
    - JBuilder seems to touch files contained in a project, that have not been changed at all.

Regrads,
        Dirk
  8. JBuilder[ Go to top ]

- Building a project takes it times. One of our project takes at least 30 minutes!!!

At my current project we started with Jbuilder 8, upgraded to 9 (holping that it would be better), then we finally decided to move to eclipse 2.1. We returned all the Jbuilder licenses and we are really happy with that. Developing EJBs in Jbuilder really sux, and compiling a project takes 30 minutes or more!!! :-O. With ant it takes only 10 minutes to get the latest version from CVS, compile, and deploy.
  9. JBuilder X sucks[ Go to top ]

I used to be a big fan of JBuilder. Not anymore. JBuilder X behaves strangely in more occasions than previous versions (if they were not strange enough.)

I recommended JBuilder to my client. Now everybody is suffering and I look bad.

I wish Borland could stop adding those version numbers, listen to their customers and fix those bugs before releasing next version.

Brett
  10. JBuilder[ Go to top ]

- Code insight, refactoring, etc. requires .class files, which is extremely annoying when you rebuild your project and thereby encounter a compile error. In this case you cannot sensibly proceed working with JBuilder until you fixed all compile errors. Further, you have no code insight for new classes, that have not been compiled yet.

>

Just curious how you are supposed to get refactoring without parsing the file or I am missing something?

Oleg
  11. JBuilder[ Go to top ]

Hi Oleg,

the point is that JBuilder requires the _compiled_ classes. Refactoring can also be done using the class' _source_ code (e.g. IntelliJ IDEA does that).

Regrads,
        Dirk
  12. JBuilder[ Go to top ]

Hi Dirk,

I was referring to the part of your message that mentioned compile errors and not .class files, and was thinking of compile errors as parsing errors and not errors like reference could not be resolved, but reading your message again I realized that you had in mind all compile errors and not just parsing errors.

Oleg
  13. Download Update 003[ Go to top ]

All of the following items you describe are already fixed.
    Update JBuilderX and please read the accompaning TI.

When configuring an EJB module, the class includes and excludes dont't work correctly. For example including a package xyz/*.* also results in a JAR file also containing classes from other package outside that package. Including a package xyz/** results in a JAR file containing none classes of packages below the xyz package.
    - The deployment descriptor editor arbitrarily deletes configurations when reopening the editor (or it does not save them correctly).
    - There is a serious bug when using WebLogic Server and web modules containing JSPs, resulting in an error when building the web module.
    - Often, you get _VERY_ meaningfull error messages when building modules, e.g. 'NullPointerException'.
    - JBuilder seems to touch files contained in a project, that have not been changed at all.
  14. advertiser rankings[ Go to top ]

This list is obviously purely a ranking of what vendors are driving sys-con advertising revenues - not what the vast readership is really using.

Now that Toplink is purely an Oracle proprietary product, and the Oracle J2EE is down the list a ways, is it really believable that it's the most preferred persistence solution any more? Everyone I come across stays away from it viewing it now as an Oracle lock-in kind of product. There are simply just fine alternatives for Java persistence relative to letting Oracle get their tenacles laced any further than their database product.

FioranoMQ - now I could tell you some things about their JMS vs. Tibco JMS and SonicMQ - as I just came off of several weeks of extensive vender evaluations. But I won't go into that. Let me just say I don't find this particular ranking very credible either.

Tibco JMS is solid and the one we're going with - they have some features supported that we just had to have. But in a lot of ways SonicMQ has the coolest implementation going... If you need to manage a domain of JMS servers, Sonic gives some great features for doing this out of the box. Their servers are based on JMX architecture. And they scale well if you run their JDK 1.4 dependent versions. Tibco has an expensive extra add-on product for managing a domain of JMS servers and they haven't embraced Java standards such as JMX yet. But they are superb in hetrogeneous client support.
  15. advertiser rankings[ Go to top ]

This list is obviously purely a ranking of what vendors are driving sys-con advertising revenues - not what the vast readership is really using.

What?!?!?! It isn't a scientific study? ;-)

Yeah, FioranoMQ and TopLink ... LOL :))

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.
    Coherence: Clustered JCache for Grid Computing!
  16. advertiser rankings[ Go to top ]

Why would anyone find it strange that high marks in four categories are Fiorano, Fiorano, Fiorano, Fiorano? Doesn't _everyone_ run an all-Fiorano shop?

And jeeze, not a day goes by that I don't see a raucous thread on TSS about Borland JDataStore and CA Ingres....

8-)

-Mike
  17. advertiser rankings[ Go to top ]

I had never heard of Fiorano before. My goodness, I must have lived in a cave...
    It is also interesting to note that the logo of such an apparent major player basically rips off Ferrari...

http://www.fiorano.com/images/fiorano.gif

http://www.maserati-sudan.ch/Ferrari/Logo.jpg
  18. advertiser rankings[ Go to top ]

It is also interesting to note that the logo of such an apparent major player basically rips off Ferrari...

It is the same company...
  19. advertiser rankings[ Go to top ]

Yes it is.
    Fiorano is the software arm of Ferrari.
    Ferrari once developed an in-house messaging system for making their radiator temperature control system asynchronous with there central control system of their car. They later thought of making some money out of it by selling it to others.

LOL
  20. advertiser rankings[ Go to top ]

So Jboss is the second biggest advertiser of application server technology in JDJ then?
  21. We just finished a 3 month evaluation of Toplink and the unanimous opinion of our team is to switch to to another O/R tool or just use JDBC. Now we're planning on trying Kodo. Most developers said they had to fight with Toplink every step of the way in order to get it to do the things they needed and to do them correctly. They also sited the the documentation as vastly incomplete and in many cases outright incorrect.
  22. Application Development Framework[ Go to top ]

I use IBM WebSphere Studio. Can someone tell me which manual tells about the WebSphere J2EE Application Development Framework? I looked.

My colleague say Fiorano is better as a J2EE Application Development Framework.
  23. Application Development Framework[ Go to top ]

I use IBM WebSphere Studio. Can someone tell me which manual tells about the WebSphere J2EE Application Development Framework? I looked.

>
    AFAIK, there is no "WebSphere J2EE Application Development Framework". but you can find websphere docs at redbooks
  24. Can someone tell me which manual tells about the WebSphere J2EE Application Development Framework? I looked.

>>
    >AFAIK, there is no "WebSphere J2EE Application Development Framework". but you can find websphere docs at redbooks

Oh! No such framework. Yet it wins award?
    Ok... not really surprized.
  25. my vote:[ Go to top ]

Best IDE: Eclipse
    Best Component: DisplayTag
    Best DAO: iBatis
    Best FrameWork: Struts
    Best DB: PostgreSQL.org
    Best OS: Fedora/OS X
    Best Book: Struts best practices / SQL for Smarties
    Best Seminar: basicPortal.com
    Best UI: Flex
    Best future tech: C#

.V
  26. my vote:[ Go to top ]

Best IDE: Eclipse : runner up: IDEA
    Best component: displayTag : runner up: StrutsEL
    Best Web framework: Struts : runner up: WebWork
    Best DB: Sybase : runner up: PostgreSQL
    Best Development OS: WinXP runner up: OS/X
    Best book: Struts in Action runner up: Junit in Action
    Best persistence: Hibernate : runner up: JDO
    Best future tech: Java 1.5 :-)
  27. Syscon Awards - basically rubbish[ Go to top ]

What I've seen happen is when the voting starts emails are sent within the vendor organisation encouraging everyone to vote for their own product (I've worked at a vendor). That's why Oracle does so well, cause they have 50Billion droids working for them. I think I also recieved a mail from jboss to this effect too. : )

It's a shame that a mag of such content-quality can damage it's reputation in such a way.
  28. IDE category results r rubbish..[ Go to top ]

Its very strange that IntelliJ IDEA has got third runnerup.. basically some of these awards r rubbish especially IDE category...

i can not compare IDEA with anyother IDE.. its lonely at the top.. :)
  29. What I've seen happen is when the voting starts emails are sent within the vendor organisation encouraging everyone to vote for their own product (I've worked at a vendor). That's why Oracle does so well, cause they have 50Billion droids working for them.

As A) an Oracle employee (one of 40 000 not 50 Billion)
    b) A long time fan of TopLink (going back to it being a Smalltalk solution)
    C) definitely Not a droid
    d) someone who despairs of the rubbish code developers write whilst CV padding

Id say take your foolish opinion and put in a dark personal place

cheers

Phil..
  30. How about a TSS readers' choice? The catch is that you have to be a currently registered member of TSS, as of a date before the awards are announced. That would prevent a lot of the fake votes from the vendor employees.

Really, these current results are the silliest I've seen yet.
  31. \Drew McAuliffe\
    The catch is that you have to be a currently registered member of TSS, as of a date before the awards are announced. That would prevent a lot of the fake votes from the vendor employees.
    \Drew McAuliffe\

Yes, that would likely lessen the number of fake votes from unbounded down to the mere two or three hundred or so pre-existing ones!

-Mike
  32. Best Java Book[ Go to top ]

My favorite category, of course :))

Best Java Book

Winner: Thinking in Java, Prentice Hall PTR (www.phptr.com)
    First Runner-up: Java Development with Ant, Manning Publications (www.manning.com)
    Second Runner-up: Core J2EE Patterns: Best Practices and Design Strategies, Prentice Hall PTR (www.phptr.com)
    Third Runner-up: About Face 2.0: The Essentials of Interaction Design, Wiley (www.wiley.com)
  33. Best Java Magazine[ Go to top ]

Obviously the market decides who lives and who dies, but I always felt that JDJ aimed at the lowest common denominator.

Best Java Magazine to date
    1) Java Report (come back we miss you)
    2) ...
    3) ....
    4) ...
  34. hahaha[ Go to top ]

Bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit. (You get the picture). I mean.. come ON! This isn't even publishable material. This is utter SHITE! I don't know a SINGLE person who uses jboss because it's good, I don't know anyone who uses jrocket, Fiorano ESB.. HUH?.. Oh yeah?
    This silliness has to end! There are rules against publishing ads covered up as "real content". I know JDJ is a shite magazine.
  35. SYS-CON[ Go to top ]

TSS shouldnt promote such silly surveys. Sys-Con does a good job in spamming people but thats it. But i like the idea of a TSS readers choice award.
  36. Disqualification List[ Go to top ]

Sebastien Petrucci, I feel your pain, and Sato, I agree that IDEA is tops.

Here's my 2 cents: JBuilder sucks monkey nuts. It's hard to use for actual coding, slow, lacks examples, and does NOT create JBoss jbosscmp-jdbc.xml m:n relationships correctly.

This is such a stinking lod of crap, I don't even pay any attention to these anymore.

Anyone that works for the same company they're casting votes for should be excluded automatically. End of story. This isn't even a good review of market penetration because Oracle, Borland, and IBM have all their employees and friends go to vote. Ugh.

Also, if the product only supports your own tools such as Top Link, JDeveloper, and WSAD, you should again be disqualified. Why would I want WSAD if it creates EJBs ONLY for weblogic and websphere? Lame.
  37. JDJ awards[ Go to top ]

Personally, I think the biggest thing that devalues these awards is how certain products get nominated for some categories. Other than the obvious relationships between some products and the categories, it seems like the rest are just totally useless. And this isn't just with the JDJ awards, XML-Journal is just as bad.

It seems that either certain products are just nominated into multiple categories to increase its chances of winning or placing in the top 3, or they find some obscure feature which "somehow" justifies it's inclusion in a category.
  38. WebObjects nominated?[ Go to top ]

Hey, WebObjects 5.2 is "Best Java Class Library" !

Funny results. I wonder how they collected votes. If it was a simple web form no surprise the awards came so eccentric.