Discussions

EJB programming & troubleshooting: I don't mean to bring up the old subject....

1. I don't mean to bring up the old subject.... (2 messages)

Hi,

I don't intend to bring up the old "file io in ejb" subject but I read thru the archives and don't see any solid solution? We have a stateless SB that reads records from the DB, stores them into files then FTPes these files to a third party system. At a later point third party system FTPs files back to our system, another stateless EJB reads in the files and store the contents into the DB.

I know the EJB spec forbids file io but should I be concern here and follow the spec religiously? Do I have other alternatives accessing the file system? or Should I just rely on common sense and break the rules? :-)

Thanks for any input.

Regards,
    Tony.
  2. Some options:

1) Break the rules and see if it works anyway. Odds are good that it will.

2) Perform the FTP operations outside your EJB server, and push the data into and out of your EJB server by invoking EJBs. Messaging (MDBs) would probably be the best solution for this.
  3. <
    1) Break the rules and see if it works anyway. Odds are good that it will.

2) Perform the FTP operations outside your EJB server, and push the data into and out of your EJB server by invoking EJBs. Messaging (MDBs) would probably be the best solution for this. >>

Thanks Paul,

We are going with option (1). FTP is done outside of the EJB server by the sys admin. Can't do messaging cause the third party system does not support it.

Thanks,
    Tony.