Discussions

News: Lomboz: J2EE Eclipse plugin open sourced

1. Lomboz, the popular Eclipse plug-in for J2EE / Web Services development, has been open-sourced under the LGPL license. Eteration, the company behind the product, has joined the ObjectWeb consortium. Lomboz 3.0 is tracking Eclipse, and supports J2EE 1.4 specifications, and works with all J2EE compliant application servers.

The full announcement is here: Lomboz open sourced

Visit the new Lomboz at: http://lomboz.objectweb.org

Threaded Messages (25)

2. COOOOL![ Go to top ]

This is very cool!
  3. It is amazing how many software companies about to die think let me open source my code and now I will survive. You need community first in my opinion, did linux, apache, jboss, or mysql have a closed project before a successful open source one? Am I missing anything? Perhaps eclipse has gone the opposite way, but IBM is not a compay about die. Eclipse has more money put into it than most software companies ever make.
  4. Actually it does not support J2EE 1.4, but 1.3.
  5. I want to know
    1.Does it provide CMR mapping tool with it
    anyone knows comment it
  6. Iam using this Plugin from couple of months.It is really nice. Gone are the days to pay thousands of bucks for an IDE wih J2EE support.Many thanks to the development team for such a nice product.

Thanks
    Srini Marreddy
  7. Is there somebody who was using XDoclet to do EJB support and then switched from XDoclet to any kind of Plugin/IDE/etc. ?

Could they explain pros and cons?
  8. Is there somebody who was using XDoclet to do EJB support and then switched from XDoclet to any kind of Plugin/IDE/etc. ?

>

The JBossIDE provides support for XDoclet

http://www.jboss.org/developers/projects/jboss/jbosside
  9. The JBossIDE provides support for XDoclet

I use XDoclet all the time and do not feel like I need a support from IDE or some plugin.
    Apparently there are people who think differently. So my question is really about reasons why somebody might want to use GUI instead of XDoclet. Therefore I would like to hear from people who moved away from XDoclet to some kind of GUI tool.
  10. I use XDoclet all the time and do not feel like I need a support from IDE or some plugin.
    Apparently there are people who think differently. So my question is really about reasons why somebody might want to use GUI instead of XDoclet. Therefore I would like to hear from people who moved away from XDoclet to some kind of GUI tool.

JBoss IDE gives a nice completion for XDoclet tags as well as some templates. I never used templates, but completion is quite handy.
  11. I am moved from XDoclets to Intellij Idea EJB support today. It takes 2 hours (24 entity beans + 5 session beans). I did it because we started new features that we can't combine with XDoclets.
  12. Nowaday, I'm confused: should I use Lomboz plugin with Eclipse or MyEclipse?

I'm using MyEclipse, JBoss to develop J2EE app, but I couldn't find any Jboss plugin components with MyEclipse. I got very antiquated document(jbossj2ee.pdf) from JBoss site, there are some deployment script files specific for the Jboss, should I write these Jboss-specific script files? That's unreasonable for so good IDE platform---MyEclipse!

I also got the document: "Tutorial-1.3.0.pdf" on Jboss site, but where does it come from in Eclipse:
    "
    Create a new J2EE 1.3 Project. Select File > New >
    Project... and choose JBoss-IDE > J2EE 1.3
    Project.
    "
    ------------- How come?

So I searched somethings with Lomboz plugin with Eclipse, like: "Tutorial for building J2EE Applications using JBOSS and ECLIPSE" on http://www.tusc.com.au/tutorial/html/chap1.html, it seems more automatic than the last one, but MyEclipse is more productive.

What's my better solution to select developing envirenment?

any suggestion, reply to: gzhuye at hotmail dot com.

Thanks alots.
  13. I have been using Lomboz plugin for last few months to run JBoss application server from Eclipse IDE and debug EJB objects in a J2EE project. I really like the tool. It's relatively very easy to install and configure to work within Eclipse. I heard that there is a plugin for JBuilder to launch JBoss server using IDE but you need to have JBuilder Enterprise Edition to use it and the enterprise edition costs money.

Here's the link to install and configure Lomboz plugin:
    http://www.tusc.com.au/tutorial/html/chap1.html
  14. It seems that IBM will also open source part of their J2EE plugins available at WSAD to the eclipse project.
  15. It seems that IBM will also open source part of their

> J2EE plugins available at WSAD to the eclipse project.

http://www.eclipse.org/webtools/
  16. overkill for tomcat?[ Go to top ]

Would Lomboz be overkill for administering Tomcat? I use the sysdeo plugin in eclipse and it works great for what I need.
  17. overkill for tomcat?[ Go to top ]

Would Lomboz be overkill for administering Tomcat? I use the sysdeo plugin in eclipse and it works great for what I need.

As far as I can tell, Lomboz forces you to "deploy" to the server each time you want to run your app (ie Copy the files from your project to the Tomcat directory), so I use Lomboz for launching my server. However, Lomboz does compile your jsp when you save it, and tells you if there are any compile errors just like a java class in Eclipse - Very useful. Much better than the save-hitrefresh-wait-viewstacktrace-findline-change-save cycle, I think. Plus it does the syntax coloring, although it's a little buggy sometimes.
  18. overkill for tomcat?[ Go to top ]

... Lomboz does compile your jsp when you save it, and tells you if there are any compile errors just like a java class in Eclipse - Very useful. Much better than the save-hitrefresh-wait-viewstacktrace-findline-change-save cycle, I think. Plus it does the syntax coloring, although it's a little buggy sometimes.

I 100% agree, the jsp-editor is very useful. Currently I use Lomboz 'cause I like the jsp-editor, but imho the handling web modules and ejb modules makes small applications more complex than necessary. this jobs can be done by x-doclet very well (i used this within JBoss IDE).

Does anyone know any other jsp-editor with such features for eclipse ?

regards,
    andy
  19. overkill for tomcat?[ Go to top ]

Does anyone know any other jsp-editor with such features for eclipse ?

Although I don't use a pretty editor when devloping JSPs in Eclipse, I've found it easy to pre-compile the JSPs as part of the build. Check out Ant's <jspc/> task.
  20. MyEclipse will compile your jsps before deployment.
  21. overkill for tomcat?[ Go to top ]

http://www.strecl.com/register.do
    Works for coloring. I've been using WSAD mostly lately so I don't remember all it does. Mostly coloring and doesn't force you into a particular project config.
  22. This could put tremendous pressure on Genuitec, who sells the MyEclipse Enterprise Workbench at $29.95/year on a subscription basis (a good bargain but not as good as free though). However, I am wondering with the open source model, can we expect new product features to be added to Lomboz as frequently as before?
  23. I would hope not. For the last 12 months (at least), development in Lomboz has seemed absolutely glacial (especially compared to MyEclipse). This isn't a value judgement on the project itself, just that the rate of development isn't as speedy as I would hope for.
  24. Eric,

The Lomoboz project has become a part of the ObjectWeb group. I'm not totally sure, but my sense is that that will keep features moving in.

Eclipse, Lomboz, and XMLBuddy are some of the primary tools that we have chosen at the Open Source Lab. There are some things that need work, but overall really good stuff.

Jason McKerr
    The Open Source Lab
    "Open Minds. Open Doors. Open Source."
  25. I tried it to configure it with websphere 5. I got the problems every where !
    Even I was not able to stop and start the server. While creating the some J2ee apps it was again creating some config files which were not required at all.
    Deploying(copying) the files at some different location.I would request the developers of 'lomboz' if it does not support the servers dont mention these servers in the confiuration list. I wanted to get away WSAD for the development in favor of eclipse but after wasting my time for the devlopment/configuraion. The only option we had for Websphere was WSAD .
    ---
    Dinesh Singh
  26. IBM has publicly announced (on the eclipse.org newsgroups at least) that they are prepared to donated a signifigant amount of code to eclipse.org webtools project. The prject it stalled as there is no one to officially take charge of it yet. The proposed IBM contributions are at : http://www.u.arizona.edu/~rsk/ibm/
    What's interesting is that ObjectWeb is touted as the leading candidate to lead the webtools project, so the opensourcing of Lomboz is most probably directly related.
    That said, they'll have a hard time being as robust & flexible as myeclipseide (which I've been very happy with).