Heterogeneous J2EE Container Tier

Discussions

General J2EE: Heterogeneous J2EE Container Tier

1. Heterogeneous J2EE Container Tier (3 messages)

Hi Guys

I'm looking into potential problems of creating a tiered architecture using WebSphere Portal at the front and a mix of WebSphere, BEA, Oracle and Novell J2EE containers below. I've been told that propagation of transactions may be problematic but am looking for pointers regarding other challenges.

Suggestions?
  2. Hi,
    First of all you should check how TSS handles this problem :
    http://www.theserverside.com/articles/article.tss?l=tsscluster.
    You may find other refferences on the web.
    Now my 2 cents on this matter:
    I suppose that the websphere portal is used for the web user interface and the other servers are used for bussiness services. So, if you have more servers running the same bussiness you would like to have some load balancing and maybe some fault tollerance. Every type of server has different cluster abilities and policies. But these apply to the same type of servers, and in the heterogenous environment you are planning things get complicated.
    Another point you should consider would be to check where the client related state is mainatined. Espacially when you look for fault tollerance when the client state needs tobe replicated between servers. Synchronizing statefull session beans is costly and very dificult(if not impossible) between different application server vendors. There are alos workarounds where the state is saved in the DB. So, I sugest you keep all your client state on the session of the web portal, and make your bussiness services stateless.
    Best regards, Mircea
  3. Hi,
    First of all you should check how TSS handles this problem :
    http://www.theserverside.com/articles/article.tss?l=tsscluster.
    You may find other refferences on the web.
    Now my 2 cents on this matter:
    I suppose that the websphere portal is used for the web user interface and the other servers are used for bussiness services. So, if you have more servers running the same bussiness you would like to have some load balancing and maybe some fault tollerance. Every type of server has different cluster abilities and policies. But these apply to the same type of servers, and in the heterogenous environment you are planning things get complicated.
    Another point you should consider would be to check where the client related state is mainatined. Especially when you look for fault tollerance when the client state needs tobe replicated between servers. Synchronizing statefull session beans is costly and very dificult(if not impossible) between different application server vendors. There are alos workarounds where the state is saved in the DB. So, I sugest you keep all your client state on the session of the web portal, and make your bussiness services stateless.
    Best regards, Mircea
  4. sorry for posting twice[ Go to top ]

how silly of me ...