Discussions

Industry news: Java 1.4.1 and Tomcat 4.1.17 Issues

1. Java 1.4.1 and Tomcat 4.1.17 Issues (3 messages)

After moving to 1.4.1 and tomcat 4.1.17 I have been experiencing Memory issues as well as HotSpot crashes. Sine the upgrade I did was both java and tomcat I'm not sure which one is the bigger problem. I have read about memory issues with each one, and now I see that java version 1.4.1 has reached end of life cycle. I know some of the issues could be application specific (apps deployed to tomcat) but I have found too many messege boards stating problems. Has anyone here had similar issues?

Threaded Messages (3)

2. After moving to 1.4.1 and tomcat 4.1.17 I have been experiencing Memory issues as well as HotSpot crashes.
    Check the error log. What do you see in the error log?
  3. Error Messages[ Go to top ]

The Hotspot error was as shown

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
    #
    # HotSpot Virtual Machine Error, Internal Error
    # Please report this error at
    # http://java.sun.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi
    #
    # Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (1.4.1_01-b01 mixed mode)
    #
    # Error ID: 4349254E560E435050012C 01
    #
    # Problematic Thread: prio=5 tid=0xc17c0 nid=0x8 runnable
    #

I have also noticed in the localhost logs OutOfMemoryExceptions occuring in tomcat usually when it is going to call the servlet or servlet filter. And once these start occuring the server will need to be rebooting or eventually tomcat will crash or become unresponsive.

StandardWrapperValve[jsp]: Servlet.service() for servlet jsp threw exception
    javax.servlet.ServletException
            at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:249)
            at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:853)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:247)

or

StandardWrapperValve[action]: Servlet.service() for servlet action threw exception
    javax.servlet.ServletException: Servlet execution threw an exception
            at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:269)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:193)
            at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:260)
  4. I had the same issue too. Upgrading the jvm to 1.4.2 should take care of the problem. At least, It did in my case.