Discussions

News: Flux 6.0 job scheduler adds Business Process Management

1. The Flux 6.0 job scheduler has been released. Flux 6.0 adds Workflow and Business Process Management, Security, and Exception Handling. In addition, Flux provides job scheduling and file delivery to Java, J2EE, XML, and Web Services developers. Flux can also be used standalone by non-programmers.

There are a number of new features in Flux 6.0, but the biggest ones are:

-> Workflow and Business Process Management
    -> Exception Handling
    -> Security

-> Business process management (BPM) is all about "people workflows" as opposed to running software tasks in your jobs. You can use BPM to coordinate the actions of people.

For example, if a person wants to take out a bank loan, she first fills out the bank loan application, at which time the application is sent to the Credit Check Department and the Employment Verification Department, both at the same time. After both departments finish, the business process flows to a person who performs the Final Approval step.

Flux 6.0's BPM functioanlity supports sending reminders to people, using email, instant messaging, or whatever you may choose. Reminders inform people of the duties that they need to perform.

You can mix traditional batch/non-interactive jobs with the new BPM functionality in your flow charts (workflows) to create jobs that contain both batch and human-oriented elements.

The Flux standalone GUI has also been expanded to include a Business Process Dashboard, which users can log into to view their assigned business process tasks.

-> Exception handling means that Flux can monitor your database for business exceptions (for instance, accounts receivable exceeds $1M, etc).

When Flux detects that a business exception has occured, you can notify personnel, run jobs to take corrective action, etc.

-> Security means that you can now create a Flux job scheduler engine that enforces security. Security is optional, but if you enable it, you can prevent certain users from performing certain Flux operations. The Flux 6.0 GUI supports the security changes as well.

###

All these functions require no programming. You can access them through the Flux user interfaces. However, the Flux API has been expanded to provide programmatic access to all these features.

You can download Flux 6.0 here.
  2. Congratulations, David .. great to see how Flux is progressing.

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.
    Coherence: Clustered JCache for Grid Computing!
  3. Yes,

Looks like you're offering very good features David!

best wishes,
    james
  4. Thanks for the kind words, Cameron and James. I follow your work too, and you both are doing a great job.

All the best,
    David
  5. David,

Allow me to add my congratulations as well. I'm impressed with the direction you're taking Flux in. Especially since I'm no longer working for a competing interest. ;)

Dale

--------------------------------------------------------------
    Dale V. Georg
    Blue Titan Software
    Distributed Web Services Infrastructure