New to J2EE - What's the best way to learn....fast.

Discussions

General J2EE: New to J2EE - What's the best way to learn....fast.

1. New to J2EE - What's the best way to learn....fast. (3 messages)

Hi,

I've got a quick question for the general J2EE community. I'm a Jr. college student who will be working as an intern for a software development firm over the summer. They want me to try to learn as much about J2EE from now untill mid may as I can. Here's a little of my background..

I'm a computer science student with 3 years C/C++ programming experience. I've also been programming w/ J2SE and ASP for the past 8 months or so.

From the reviews i've read, Exper One-on-One seems like a good bet but I'm worried it might be a little over my head. I'd REALLY appreciate a response on this on. Thanks alot.

- John

Threaded Messages (3)

2. Pick up some books, download some open source servers, and start writing some code.

Find out from your potential employer which parts of J2EE they intend for you to work with. Servlet/JSP and EJB are the two likely candidates.

For servlets/JSP I suggest "Core Servlets and JSP" and its sequel "More Servlets and JSP", by Marty Hall and some other guy.

For EJB, I suggest the O'Reilley "Enterprise Java Bean" book.

For other subjects, check out the reviews on amazon.com, which will give you a general idea of which books are good or not.

For a server to use, use Tomcat for servlet/JSP. For EJB, I suggest you get a trial version of the J2EE server you will be using at work (EJB are finicky about servers, while servlet/JSP are not).

Also, find out if you employer intends to use any frameworks (e.g. Struts) or particular development tools (e.g. Eclipse) and study those as well.
  3. Thanks...[ Go to top ]

Thanks for the reply, I plan on checking out those books later today. I was told that I will have to go through a technical evaluation in order to secure the internship position... Anyone have to go through something like this before? It seems like they could make it really easy, or just throw something very difficult at me...
  4. Thanks...[ Go to top ]

You might be able to short-circuit the evaluation by getting the right Java certs: Web Component Developer for Servlet/JSP, Business Component Developer for EJB. The WCD cert is pretty easy, something you ought to be able to tackle after a few weeks study (though the test costs $150). I don't how hard BCD is.

Unfortunately, both of these require the Java Programmer certification. If you don't already have this, it is a pretty hard certification and another $150.

As for the eval, it could be anything, but you ought to be prepared to write some code. It would be very helpful if you knew what J2EE server they were using, so you could get a bit of practice on it first. Most servers have a trial version.