Discussions

News: JBoss drops their shadow JavaOne conference

1. JBoss drops their shadow JavaOne conference (7 messages)

JBoss, Inc has announced that there will be no JBossThree happening next to JavaOne this year. Instead, JBoss will have a booth at JavaOne itself, and will be holding cocktail party one night and "we'll even invite Sun people to it".

JBoss warms to Sun, drops shadow conference

JBoss drops joint show with Sun

and in related news... JBoss Joins Enterprise JavaBeans Expert Group of the Java Community Process

Threaded Messages (7)

2. JBoss keeping up with the Sun's?[ Go to top ]

<rant>

I'm watching with interest to see if JBoss is going to blow through their measly 10 mil by acting like a big player.

10 mil won't last very long if they start spending like a Sun.

I'm sure the $ won't change them...they'll stay true to their roots..

Just like Bob Dylan...ok, bad example.

Just like Michael Jacks...um...

Just like Madonna...er..

JBoss has joined the country club of J2EE vendors. Welcome to America!

Open source is just another $ making strategy. It is not communism. It is how the average developer can fight back against monopolies. It is a great way to remove barriers to entry.

*insert cheesy proud to be an american music here*

</rant>

Bear Down on Freedom.

John C. Dale
    MS MIS, December 2005
    The University of Arizona
    jcd at downinthedesert dot com
  3. JBoss keeping up with the Sun's?[ Go to top ]

<rant>I'm watching with interest to see if JBoss is going to blow through their measly 10 mil by acting like a big player.10 mil won't last very long if they start spending like a Sun.I'm sure the $ won't change them...they'll stay true to their roots.....</rant>
    <humorAttempt>So if something better comes along will you jump to it? (Geronimoooooooo)</humorAttempt>
  4. JBoss keeping up with the Sun's?[ Go to top ]

<
    What’s the problem?
    I don’t get it... The guys worked hard to make a great Application Server that’s its free and we use it, save plenty of money with it. What’s the problem with them wanting to earn money with documentation, training and support? Someone expected that they would do that for free?
    I hope that JBoss Inc turn a very successful company! It’s great to know that there’s a strong company behind a product. Why do you think WebSphere and WebLogic are on the top of the list??

Pedro Costa
  5. JBoss keeping up with the Sun's?[ Go to top ]

Actually, John, this is probably a lot less expensive. My guess is that this is a cost-cutting move. ;-)

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.
    Coherence: Clustered JCache for Grid Computing!
  6. JBoss keeping up the the Sun's?[ Go to top ]

This is a good move for JBoss, but it also helps JavaOne, which has lacked in appeal and population the last 3-4 years. Have a major open source player like JBoss as an exhibitor will bring in more people I believe.

The JBoss model of charging for documentation and support, which is what Red Hat and Novell have done, will be seen in a few years as the de facto model of open source. I expect to see the same process happen with projects such as Spring, Geronimo, and Subversion in the near term.

With the giant love fest happening with Sun and Microsoft, and now JBoss and Sun, who are we going to make the bad guy now? :-)

Matt Filios
    President, SourceBeat Publishing
  7. JBoss keeping up with the Sun's?[ Go to top ]

This is great news for JavaOne especially with them giving technical sessions. Sadly for me it is too little too late. After going to every single JavaOne for the last five years I decided after the disaster of the "SunOne" conference last year to call it quits.

I am instead off to Vegas at the beginning of May to check out the symposium. :-)

David
  8. Props to Marc[ Go to top ]

JBossOne and Two deserve compliments. One was a meaty tutorial and Two was an excellent AOP discussion. Where else would a vendor's CEO publicly provoke technical arguments amongst his developers. It was a great show and I'll miss it this year.

Gary