Sun Java Studio Creator Early Access Released

Discussions

News: Sun Java Studio Creator Early Access Released

1. Sun has announced the early access release of the Java Studio Creator development environment (formerly code-named Project Rave). Check it out to see if Sun have released the tool for visual web development.
    It's finally here, what you've all been waiting for, a 100% Java(TM) standard visual development tool from Sun Microsystems, the creator of Java technology -
    Sun Java Studio Creator. Now you can quickly and easily develop Web applications using Java technology without getting bogged down in plumbing and infrastructure. Who knew creating Java applications could be this simple?

After much public anticipation, the first public release of this product is available for download. Download the Early Access release of Java Studio Creator today and find out what all the buzz is about!

Some of the features included in Java Studio Creator Early Access are:

* Simple drag-and-drop user interface design ensures fast refinement from
    prototype to finished application, while maintaining a consistent look and feel.
    * Drag-and-drop access to databases and web services enhances productivity even
    more.
    * SQL Query Editor provides maximum control and ease of database access with
    mnimal hand coding.
    * Synchronized 2-way application editors ensure consistency.
    Go to the Sun Java Studio Creator Early Access home page.

View: Release Notes, Introduction.

Thoughts from around the net

Matt Raible: My Review of Java Studio Creator (a.k.a. Rave)

Matt Croydon: Java Studio Creator: First Thoughts

Bill Dudney: Rave/JSCreator hits EA - Review/Notes

Threaded Messages (17)

2. Congratulations!! We finaly got it. It's been almost three years ago I heard about this (JSF+ server side GUI components) promise in 2001 JavaOne. I really like the concept of managed bean that is some thing like code behind approach in ASP.NET, we badly needed it in JSP world and I am gald that SUN realized it, and it's never too late. As far as the architectural approach to develop web applications Sun Java Studio look up to the par, and it's good to see that this tool support JSF... I think I am back again in Java camp..-)
  3. Too little... too late[ Go to top ]

Actually, it is too late. .NET has gain a heck of a lot of market share, and what make the coolness of .NET tick is the combo of ASP.NET, VStudio.NET, ADO.NET, IE integration, and WS integration.

SUN is 3 freak'in years behind the curve, and that's just on the web portion. The rest of it is suffering too. EJBs suck to build, web services are a pain (although AXIS helps), and the JDK is missing tons of stuff. Funny thing is that they could have just incorporated other tools into the JDK. So I put the blame squarely on SUN for not using JUnit, log4J, Flash map & trees, string manipulation support, and file system manipulation support. I mean there's not even a file/dir copy in the JDK. Lame-o!

Someone needs to light a bigger fire under McNearly's ass, or this well be the end of Java. I've seen this happen many, many times before.
  4. Too little... too late[ Go to top ]

Well, I think it is not too late yet. But the biggest pain (at least for us) is the lack of components. Why they could not add something similar to Struts menu, Coldtags etc. right from the beginning? Or recruit the partners to do so? Also I did not find in EA support for JSF components development. I think that is the main problem with Creator. Components suite (as well as army of MS partners) pushed VB (and now .NET) up. Why Sun's people do not understand this obvious fact?
  5. RE: Too little... too late[ Go to top ]

I don't see the evidence for the 'heck of a lot of market share' comment in the wild at the moment. That is just FUD. The fact that you can knock out a 'quick and dirty' app in .NET VS I will give it credit for. That's why Sun has realised that. There are a lot of programmers as the lower end of the ability scale that needs to be address in the Java IDE space. When you are coding an app of any sort of scale the fact you can get a web service integrated in 5minute instead of 20 minutes makes no difference. It the frameworks and blue prints that allow you so build a very stable, scalable app that make Java so Mature! I don’t think anyone can say .NET is Mature.

Well done Sun.
  6. RE: Too little... too late[ Go to top ]

I agree with this. Java is way ahead of .NET in server side. The rich open-source support is not there in .NET. The multi-vendor multi-platform support is also a big plus.
  7. RE: Too little... too late[ Go to top ]

I agree with this. Java is way ahead of .NET in server side. The rich open-source support is not there in .NET. The multi-vendor multi-platform support is also a big plus.
    This is a blessing AND a curse. A lot of the open-source projects are just duplicates. You have a zillion web frameworks, a google persistence framworks, and so on and so forth. This encourages people to use them just because they're there! Most of them add unwarranted complexity, and very little value in many situations.

You might argue that this provides more options to Java developers to choose from. But who has the time to learn the ins and outs of all these frameworks to be able to make a sound judgment? You end up with a lot of trials and errors that plague Java projects with a high failure rate.

The fact that the Java platform is more "mature" than DotNET doesn't necessarily mean it's better. It could well mean that DotNET can learn from the mistakes of the Java platform and avoid them.
  8. RE: Too little... too late[ Go to top ]

This is a blessing AND a curse. A lot of the open-source projects are just duplicates. You have a zillion web frameworks, a google persistence framworks, and so on and so forth. This encourages people to use them just because they're there! Most of them add unwarranted complexity, and very little value in many situations.You might argue that this provides more options to Java developers to choose from.
    You could compare all these competing solutions to nature - there is a lot of redundancy in the nature, and at a given time some life forms succeed, and some fail. In fact, a wast majority of the fraworks you see are not good enough, and they quickly die. Even the successful ones are eroded by time and overtaken by better solutions once we understand the problems better. I think this kind of evolutionary development is great. There will never be just one solution and that might give you an edge in your particular task. You can comfort yourself with the fact that the good solutions or parts of them continue to live long into the future and can be more solid than anything else.
  9. Nature?[ Go to top ]

Entering slippery grounds here. It has not been established that nature evolved using the evolutionary model. So I wouldn't put any bets on evolutionary frameworks being a good thing.

-Creationist
  10. RE: Too little... too late[ Go to top ]

<!--But who has the time to learn the ins and outs of all these frameworks to be able to make a sound judgment? -->

Peter I coudn't agree with you. I remeber one of the interview of MR. Gosling where he mentioned that the true power of Java is not only right once and run any where but more than that it is learn once and apply every where. I think Java developers are too much into the fad of writing new framework, and we can not stop them becuase it is their right. But if I were a good architect I personally wouldn't want to use any thing out side the standard Java API until and unless I really don't have any choice...and that is not the case 99% of the time...
  11. This tool looks pretty amazing, but it does NOT support connecting to Oracle / Sybase / DB2 or (place your db here).......

This is a big drop, I was half way through the tutorial when I relized this. The tool became useless to me when I realized it only works when connecting to to Pointbase.

Sun please patch/fix this. I saw a posting on their forums about trying the "DataDirect" JDBC drivers, but this does not seem to work either.

Has anyone gotten this tool to work w/ a db other than Pointbase?
  12. This tool looks pretty amazing, but it does NOT support connecting to Oracle / Sybase / DB2 or (place your db here).......This is a big drop, I was half way through the tutorial when I relized this. The tool became useless to me when I realized it only works when connecting to to Pointbase. Sun please patch/fix this. I saw a posting on their forums about trying the "DataDirect" JDBC drivers, but this does not seem to work either. Has anyone gotten this tool to work w/ a db other than Pointbase?
    My co-workers got it to successfully connect to a DB2 AS400 database. You need to make sure you have JDBC 3.0 drivers for your database. Otherwise, JSC cannot read the metadata and get the information it needs. Dan Roberts, the guy who did the demo I watched, said that Sun actually was using a 3rd party to create JDBC 3.0 drivers for a whole slew of databases - for the 1.0 release.

Another thing he mentioned was that MySQL wasn't too interested in providing 3.0 drivers. I wonder if they'll change their tune?
  13. Worked W/ Oracle[ Go to top ]

We just downloaded the Oracle JDBC Driver from Oracle's website, and Oracle worked for us. It only took a couple of minutes.
  14. Worked W/ Oracle[ Go to top ]

I also got oracle set up and able to view the tables, but when trying to either view data or drag and drop the data on a UI component then bind the data. Neither of these work for me. Has anyone else got this working with oracle? And even if I can't drag and drop it, does anyone know how to manually bind the data?

Thanks.
  15. Too little... too late[ Go to top ]

So I put the blame squarely on SUN for not using JUnit, log4J, Flash map & trees,
    I thank Sun for having a common sense and NOT putting any of that crap in JDK.
  16. While everybody talk here about strategic vision etc. I’d pay attention on the IDE itself, honestly it is not even close to the Idea or even Eclipse, it just looks ugly, some kind of degenerated visual studio with bad fonts etc. if SUN finally comes out with the long anticipated tool at least it should look good, so people like it.
  17. amazing tool.[ Go to top ]

Thanks to rave developing team.

But it has at least 2 main shortages.
    Firstly it’s a little ugly. Netbeans (latest versions) is so much better in interface. And i hope rave team will correct this by the stable release.

Secondly it suffers lake of component. I hope we (community) will fix this problem.
  18. Also some things in IDE are foolish. For example when I try to change the background color in my data Table it only opens an empty page for inserting RGB (and if I don’t know I had to open photoshop for finding RGB! ). And the same for mouse actions, cell padding and any thing else (except database). If they take a look at dreamweaver it will help them and us greatly.

I think they need to change most of property editors to some thing more useful.