Sun getting the word out via Blogs

Discussions

News: Sun getting the word out via Blogs

1. Sun getting the word out via Blogs (8 messages)

There has always been talk about how Sun markets itself. A new blog aggregator Planet Sun has been created to aggregate Sun employee blog entries. Should Sun use blogs as a way to spread the word?

Microsoft had a summit for their MVPs this week. Sun should do the same. Bring together your prophets, show them a vision, and have them spread the word.

Read more in Blogging and Sun: The RSS Tide Is Rising...

Threaded Messages (8)

2. Sun getting the word out via Blogs[ Go to top ]

marketing side of blogs cannot be ignored. I have been reading the blogs of some of the Sun guys at artima.com/weblogs. even though it is nice to have it all in one place, planetsun.org doesn't seem to be spreading any 'message' or Sun's vision and the content is not very interesting to me. blogging is a powerful marketing material when its content is attractive, educating, interactive and amusing.
  3. Should Sun use blogs as a way to spread the word?

Well, if Sun wants to increase the reach of Java the best way is to set it free (that is, open source it). Anyway, if anyone is interested in Free Java there's already a Planet Classpath that collect Free Java Hacker blogs.
  4. > Should Sun use blogs as a way to spread the word? Well, if Sun wants to increase the reach of Java the best way is to set it free (that is, open source it).
    Sun should NOT let Java free because every project needs a coordinator that has an ultimate power to decide what to include and what not. Why Sun can not be that coordinator?
    If not Sun then who? Please do not say ‘community’ – I yet to see a successful project without a leader.

PS: Not that I am completely happy with Java, but I firmly believe that making it opensource will do more harm than good.
  5. SUN: making BLOGs into BOGs[ Go to top ]

The last things SUN needs to do is market their crapware in blogs. The whole reason I read blogs is to get away from that stuff. I get feed enough from the SUN marketing machine through TSS, JavaLobby, and JDJ. What they need to do is get their freak'in developers to address some real-world needs like finishing the JDK and closing the gap to .NET.

On opening java, I agree with Fate/Hani - who freak'in cares? I means nothing to me in the end as it would any developer. What I need is a file class feature set that can copy files from dir to dir and to network resources.

You want to increase the reach of java, make features that developers need, don't try to get around it with open source java and marketing. Geeze... is this *NOT* obvious to anyone?
  6. SUN: making BLOGs into BOGs[ Go to top ]

The last things SUN needs to do is market their crapware in blogs. [...] What I need is a file class feature set that can copy files from dir to dir and to network resources.
    crapware? you call the hard work of others crapware because you are not capable of solving trivial programming problems like file copying? oh my...
  7. Crapware abounds...[ Go to top ]

No, I call the hard work of SUN crapware because they didn't include file management in the JDK, alone with fucking long list of other things. It's not they couldn't have or shouldn't have. It's that they DID NOT put that stuff in there, and that is what matters. Microsoft did... all other development platforms have it. So yes, it's crapware to the extreme, and although there's a lot lacking from the JDK, that's one what EVERY platform has that should have been there, no debate.

Ok Einstein, tell me Jakarta has the commons if SUN didn't screw up the JDK? Everything in the commons should have been in the JDK. SUN needs to get their heads out of their ass and actually see what the community would like to have. Hell, I?m pretty simple. I?d trade all of the generics support in 1.5 to get the remaining ?basics? in the JDK.

As for me you lame ass slacker, I never said I couldn't handle it. As a matter of fact, I've taken it upon myself to fill the gaps SUN has left, and my library will be out in the public domain within a month or so, including a full file and directory management toolset.

I hope I can make it to SUN ONE this year. I?m going to have a T-Shirt made that says SUN SUCKS!
  8. Crapware abounds...[ Go to top ]

silly troll quoting hani in one post and proudly proclaiming you will release yet another opensource util library in another
  9. Blogs are nice - but what about MVPs?[ Go to top ]

Blogging is a good thing happening inside SUN - but What about a more agressive approach like MS MVP program ( http://www.mvps.org/about/mvp.html )?