Tomcat VS Weblogic

Discussions

Performance and scalability: Tomcat VS Weblogic

1. Tomcat VS Weblogic (6 messages)

Hi All,

Currently I am using Apache 2.044, Mod_jk2 and Tomcat4.1.24. Some time getting SocketException: Connection reset by peer: and getting Error Code 500 (Internal Server Exception). If I restart the Tomcat it works fine for some time.

Is migrating to WebLogic 8.1 will help?

Your responses will be greatly apreciated.

Regards,
    Rama

Threaded Messages (6)

2. Tomcat VS Weblogic[ Go to top ]

Probably going to Weblogic will help.

I am a big fan of Tomcat, but it has issues, especially under load.

Before you make the switch, though, dig through your server logs and try to figure out what is really happenning. The problem could be because of an application bug, like a memory leak. In that case, switching to Weblogic won't fix the problem.
  3. Tomcat VS Weblogic[ Go to top ]

Thank you very much for the reply.

Is there is good tool to test/find memory leak.

Thanks for your help.
    Rama
  4. Tomcat VS Weblogic[ Go to top ]

Is there is good tool to test/find memory leak.Thanks for your help.Rama
    The simplest thing to do is to monitor memory usage using your OS. If the memory keeps going up, you have a leak somewhere.

To actually identify the leak, you probably need some profiling tool. I don't know of any open source tools in this area, so you may need to go with a commercial product.
  5. Tomcat VS Weblogic[ Go to top ]

You can check the log file of tomcat to see what happened.
  6. Tomcat VS Weblogic[ Go to top ]

Thank you very much for reply.

I have checked the tomcat log file. All it has is java.net.SocketException and every one says that, it is common with Tomcat when ever user clicks on stop or reload button.

Application works fine for month with out restarting tomcat. Some times I don't understand issues "while communicating to Apache" or "not responding to all user requsts".

Thanks and Regards,
    Rama
  7. Tomcat VS Weblogic[ Go to top ]

Ive also seen that this happens when your application has images that it is trying to load. Though this error doesnt seem to effect application functionality.

Pratima