Discussions

EJB design: EJB and/vs CORBA

1. EJB and/vs CORBA (1 messages)

After reading the EJB FAQ (http://java.sun.com/products/ejb/faq.html), I have a few questions.

1) CORBA provides a great Standards-based infrastructure on which to build EJB servers.
    Why is CORBA a great standards based infrastructure?

2) EJB technology makes it easier to build application on top of a CORBA infrastructure.
    How does EJB technology make it easier to build applications?

3) Additionally, the recently released CORBA components specification refers to EJB as the architecture when building CORBA components in Java.
    Where can I find this CORBA components specification? OMG's site is a bit chaotic.

Basically, do CORBA and EJB provide the same benefits, or are there things that EJB can do that CORBA can't? Please advise, and or point me the in right direction with respect to solid documentation. Thank you for your time.

Threaded Messages (1)

2. EJB and/vs CORBA[ Go to top ]

1) Partially political. The CORBA vendors were needed to buy-in to EJB. CORBA also is a solid architecture and most EJB servers were based on CORBA (meaning CORBA is running behind EJB servers). This means the application servers are not build on a completely new code base, and one could argue are more reliable.

2) EJB is easier than CORBA because you get implicit middleware, such as implicit transactions, security, persistence, object lifecycle, state management, load balancing, transparent failover, and caching. With CORBA, you would often times write to APIs to gain these services. Not necessary with EJB due to deployment descriptors.

3) It's on the OMG site somewhere. Keep looking... :)