Discussions

News: IBM delivers SOA enablers

1. IBM delivers SOA enablers (2 messages)

IBM on Wednesday rolled out a series of software and services intended to help corporate users more efficiently create and deploy SOAs (service-oriented architectures) on their existing infrastructures.

Excerpt
    "All the services are based around the notion of ensuring that users are fully cognizant of what they are embarking upon with Web services and making sure they get the greatest ROI on those SOAs and Web services they decide to use," said Bob Sutor, Director of Websphere Foundation Software.

Through the use of SOAs, it is IBM's goal to help corporate users break business processes down into building blocks, similar to the software interfaces in a SOA that allow an IT infrastructure to be componentized. These business processes can then be matched with IT processes which allow customers to better adapt to changing business conditions, a company spokesman said.
    Read IBM delivers SOA enablers

In related news...

BEA Says It Leads in Service-Oriented Architecture

There has been some interesting discussions in blog-land regarding SOA and WS.

Just in case you missed them:

Where is SOA appropriate?

Steve disagrees about SOA within an app

More comments on SOA

Threaded Messages (2)

2. Enterprise scale[ Go to top ]

I'm unsure about real enterprise scale. Specially I'm missing technical transaction synchronisation (2PC, ACID ....) on service level, process synchronisation, messaging (transactional/certified) and support for long running business transactions.
    Maybe I overlooked something but I guess that IBM (or anybody else) shouldn't deliver complete solution for enterprise in this area.
  3. Enterprise scale[ Go to top ]

I'm unsure about real enterprise scale. Specially I'm missing technical transaction synchronisation (2PC, ACID ....) on service level, process synchronisation, messaging (transactional/certified) and support for long running business transactions.Maybe I overlooked something but I guess that IBM (or anybody else) shouldn't deliver complete solution for enterprise in this area.
    The enterprise scale is a core characteristic of WBI Server Foundation. It includes process state management, transactional messaging, and support for short-lived transactional processes (with full 2PC) or long running processes where a compensation model is used to provide a logical "rollback" of committed transactions.