Humor: 2004 - A Workspace Odyssey

Discussions

News: Humor: 2004 - A Workspace Odyssey

1. Humor: 2004 - A Workspace Odyssey (21 messages)

If you need a bit of humor to break up the day check out:

"A dialogue between myself and a copy of WSAD 5.0. The dialogue is transcribed accurately, though I have changed our names for our protection. I am represented as 'Dave,' and WSAD is referred to as 'HAL.'"

Excerpt
    Dave: Hello, HAL.

HAL: Hello, Dave. I have enjoyed helping you create this collection of entity beans. It was most stimulating.

Dave: Thank you HAL, I enjoyed it, too. In spite of your making me do most of the work, the result seems to be worth it.

HAL: If I may say so, Dave…

Dave: Yes, HAL, what is it?

HAL: Well, Dave, I could see you were about to deploy to the test server, but I noticed that you hadn’t yet generated mappings for the database of your choice. I could generate those mappings for you, using the top-down method, if you like.

Dave: Thank you, HAL. Yes, please generate top-down EJB->RDB mappings for these CMP entity beans, using Cloudscape.

HAL: Certainly Dave.

A progress dialog appears, seems to complete, and disappears.
    To read the full piece, visit: 2004: A Workspace Odyssey

Threaded Messages (21)

2. Humor: 2004 - A Workspace Odyssey[ Go to top ]

I had the same experience only with Webservices. Thank goodness I'm not doing EJBs (for more than one reason).
  3. I really have problem to see why nobody loves ejb...

I'm using XDoclet and JOnAS and i get my work done well and fast !
    And the performance are really acceptable (i haven't checked how it would be with hibernate or JDBC...). If it's about winning some ms, i prefer to buy more memory for the server. One day of my work is more expensive than 512 MB :D

AS long as the performance are good, as the client is happy and my work is easy, me i'm ok :)
  4. Am i the only one who loves EJB ?[ Go to top ]

I really have problem to see why nobody loves ejb...

AS long as the performance are good, as the client is happy and my work is easy, me i'm ok :)
    If you love busy work and dislike automated testing and object-oriented design, yeah I could see where you might like EJB. You really should try Hibernate. ;)
  5. Am i the only one who loves EJB ?[ Go to top ]

I really have problem to see why nobody loves ejb...AS long as the performance are good, as the client is happy and my work is easy, me i'm ok :)
    If you love busy work and dislike automated testing and object-oriented design, yeah I could see where you might like EJB. You really should try Hibernate. ;)
    Maybe you can enlight us a bit... How EJBs make it hard to do OO design and automated testing. I've been doing this kind of stuff for many years without any problems.
  6. Thoughts on WSAD and EJBs[ Go to top ]

I like Session Beans but I've grown to hate Entity beans and now I no longer use them. I've just been putting SQL inside an XML doc that I parse with Digester upon startup and feed it to my Session Beans which get DataSources directly. Somtimes I'll use Apache Commons DBUtils to give it that Entity bean feel but without the EJBQL limitations that would always wallop me. It might not be the best method, but it runs nice and fast and takes me alot less time than when I used to struggle with my Entity Beans.

As for WSAD, I'm using 5.1 and I must say that this version they finally got it. Previous versions had way too many bugs. 4.0 was atrocious. I used to waste whole days fixing generation errors in my J2EE projects. Using tag libraries was probably the worst. At one point, I asked management if we could send IBM a bill for all my time that had been wasted using their tool. But, 5.1 was a big improvement. One thing I'd like to see is better support for exporting plain old java apps as executable jars.
  7. Thoughts on WSAD and EJBs[ Go to top ]

I like Session Beans but I've grown to hate Entity beans and now I no longer use them. I've just been putting SQL inside an XML doc that I parse with Digester upon startup and feed it to my Session Beans which get DataSources directly.
    Seems like, You've reinvented iBatis SQLMaps :)). Hope, not poorly - like
    in Henry Spencer's most famous phrase: "Those who don't know UNIX are condemned to reinvent it, poorly" ;).

regards,
    Artur
  8. Thoughts on WSAD and EJBs[ Go to top ]

You're right. I am going to expend some time researching better ways. I plan on investigating the other technologies floating around like JDO and I'll look at these SQLMaps. I just wasted so much time with EJBs I didn't have any time left for research on other technologies. Unfortunately, I am a one man game in my IT department and time is hard to find.
  9. Thoughts on WSAD and EJBs[ Go to top ]

Unfortunately, I am a one man game in my IT department and time is hard to find.

Unfortunately sometimes "too many cooks spoil the pot".
  10. WSAD 5.1[ Go to top ]

As for WSAD, I'm using 5.1 and I must say that this version they finally got it

Agreed. Cannot say that this version really is "lightweight" but 4.0 was much too wasteful on resources and had hoards of bugs. Well, maybe my experience is not that bad because I mainly avoid wizards and use the eclipse part of it plus the - very easy - test server integrations.

But there definitely still is work to be done on the JSP-Editor, which is quite painful to work with. Again, as I seldomly do that, I really enjoy working with WSAD.
  11. ???[ Go to top ]

Busy work ? With XDoclet, it's as simple as writing a simple java class !
    Automated testing ? all my facade ejbs are tested with JUnitEE !
    OO Design ? How come u can't make OO with EJB ?

The 3 points u made doesn't convince me at all :)
    Have you ever seen an ejb made with XDOclet ?
  12. ???[ Go to top ]

<stephane>OO Design ? How come u can't make OO with EJB ?</stephane>
    The point is that you must entend a base class, it's not very convenient that you have to bind YOUR domain model onto 1 technology.
  13. ???[ Go to top ]

<stephane>OO Design ? How come u can't make OO with EJB ?</stephane>The point is that you must entend a base class, it's not very convenient that you have to bind YOUR domain model onto 1 technology.
    At some point, all applications gets tied to a framework. If it's not by extending some class, it's by specifying attributes not related to your domain (you do have something like an "id" field to hold an artificial primary key in your domain objects?).

Solution for this issue exists, this tying can be more or less eliminated by using MDA and/or AOP.
  14. ???[ Go to top ]

The point is that you must entend a base class, it's not very convenient that you have to bind YOUR domain model onto 1 technology.
    Well, i specify thanks to xdoclet, what i want... for example, i define what is a client ( name, adress... ) and the container is in changr of persistance.
    I don't really care if the implementation uses JDO, Hibernate or basic SQL.

I just want to simply tell how things should be and the container manage the other things.
  15. wsad = hostile environment[ Go to top ]

I'm currently using wsad 5.1 at a customer site and I can safely say that it's the most user hostile IDE I have ever seen.
    So many things are based on wizards doing some black magic, it's fine when it works but when it doesn't (quite often), you really have to struggle to find where and what was generated. Setting an ejb module requires way too many steps and the configuration sequence is not made explicit by the tool (you have to switch between many different views, calling different menus...)
    I may be wrong but it seems a normal human can not really write the websphere specific xml files (where you have jndi names, tunings, persistence mapping and so on) : they are incredibly un-readable, using schema, xmi, block references through autogenerated id...
    I have used in past missions several ejb servers : weblogic, jboss and borland enterp. server and I was quite productive using xdoclet or doing things by hand. Server specific xml files were easy to understand and to correct, no need to do black magic with wizards to generate them.
    Using J2EE is really not that hard when you're using the right tools but my personal feeling is that wsad makes thing harder instead of easier.
    I now understand that so many projects starting with websphere/wsad fail short : it's definitely not the kind of environment you should use for your first J2EE project, it would discourage the team by its over complicated way of doing things.
  16. wsad = hostile environment[ Go to top ]

I'm currently using wsad 5.1 at a customer site and I can safely say that it's the most user hostile IDE I have ever seen.So many things are based on wizards doing some black magic, it's fine when it works but when it doesn't (quite often), you really have to struggle to find where and what was generated.
    Think WSAD is bad? Try using the competitors tool (actually Java's competitor) and try to figure out what goes where. What a tangle web they weave. Sure, some are doing it.
  17. LOL.

I would love to see a Series on Websphere the Appserver...

Dave: Lets start our newly deployed "Enterprise Application", HAL.

HAL: That is an error, Dave. You must save your configuration before you do that.

Dave: Well, seeing as we dont know if it has even deployed properly, I am not sure I want to save it yet, but fair enough. Save configuration HAL.

HAL: Do you want to save your configuration Dave?

Dave: Err.... didnt I just say that?

HAL : Yes or No Dave?

Dave : Yes.

HAL: Done. <pause>. Hello Dave, and welcome to Websphere Application Server. What would you like to do today?

Dave: Errr, start the Enterprise Application we were just looking at..?

HAL: Do you want to see what Enterprise Applications we have deployed?

Dave: I need a coffee..... (searches for overhead beam to tie rope to...)

-Nick
  18. App Dev V4[ Go to top ]

LOL

Wonder what your log would look like if you where using App Developer V4.

HAL : Would you like me to save your class dave ?

DAVE : Yes Hal please do

HAL : {pause}

DAVE : Hal you seem to be compiling the whole project ?

HAL : Yes dave I need to do that to compile your class

{a couple of hours later }

HAL : The compile is done Dave. I trust you enjoyed the wait

DAVE : No I didn't Hal, because now my EJB project and Web project have errors that make no sense

HAL : I'm sorry Dave, we may need to rebuild those projects too.

DAVE : OK please rebuild them

{pause, a couple of hours later}

DAVE : Hal my web project still has errors that make no sense

HAL : I'm sorry Dave, you may need to rebuild that one again.

DAVE : OK please rebuild it

{pause, a couple of hours later}

HAL : I'm pleased to report that the projects have been rebuild Dave and there are no errors.

HAL : What are you doing Dave

HAL : Dave I don't think you should uninstall me

HAL : Dave mission control informs me that I have a new version

HAL : Dave I don't think you should uninstall me ............
  19. App Dev V4[ Go to top ]

I think I am fortune enough to have powerful P4 computer to run WSAD v4.0.3 AND v5.1.1 . And I love WSAD very much.

It's very true that WSAD v4 is slow. As I remember, it took me around half any hour to generate EJB deployment code and build an EAR. (I felt it's a couple of hours) It's basically unusable, but there are some tricks to make use of its useful features. For example, disable validation, use Eclipse/Ultraedit at the same time, just use its Testing environment (never in debug mode) etc. In overall, it's acceptable to me, except the price tag.

Then, my team skipped v5.0, which, AFAIK, isn't too good in performance.

For WSAD v5.1.1, I think it's the best IDE I ever use. It got all features of Eclipse 2.1 which is a top class IDE. And also with many IBM's enhancement for J2EE development. We use CMP for DB2 and it's just fine. The performance is acceptable even if I am debugging EJB in local testing environment. As same as 4.0.3, some tunings are need to done, including disable validation. And some skills are need to avoid getting things mess up.

There are certain some weaknesses of this tool and WebSphere. For example, if there is something wrong in the EJB deployment descriptors (the J2EE and IBM extension), the error message we see in WSAD is unhelpful.

IMHO, if you have at least a team member who is an expert in WSAD, there won't be big trouble. Basically, it's true for any tools and technologies.
  20. App Dev V4[ Go to top ]

For WSAD v5.1.1, I think it's the best IDE I ever use. It got all features of Eclipse 2.1 which is a top class IDE.
    <cough>IntelliJ</cough>
  21. You have to be kidding[ Go to top ]

I've posted on here for recommendations to put up some articles, and been turned down. Now this turd humor is being posted?

Screw TSS
  22. The monolith[ Go to top ]

My god.......it's full of stars.....