Book Review of WebLogic: The Definitive Guide

Discussions

News: Book Review of WebLogic: The Definitive Guide

1. Book Review of WebLogic: The Definitive Guide (9 messages)

Vinny Carpenter reviews O'Reilly's 'WebLogic: The Definitive Guide'. He reviews the various topics covered, including JNDI, JDBC and databases, the Java Transaction API (JTA), and the Java Messaging Service (JMS). He also gives a synopsis of the sections on WLS packaging and deployment, installing and creating WebLogic domains, performance, security and more.

Read WebLogic: The Definitive Guide Book Review

Threaded Messages (9)

2. Disappointing review[ Go to top ]

This is a rather cursory and disappointing review.

The reviewer even admits to "glossing over" the SSL chapter: it's not of interest to him because he uses hardware SSL. Yes, but what about everyone else reading the review?

From the review, the book sounds like it's a J2EE introduction book, with only one or two extra parts on Weblogic specifics.

There is no mention of which version of Weblogic is addressed by the book. As there have been some radical changes in Weblogic between versions 6 and 8, and with version 9 on the horizon, I would think that this is very important.
  3. version?[ Go to top ]

As there have been some radical changes in Weblogic between versions 6 and 8, and with version 9 on the horizon, I would think that this is very important.
    100% Agree. You only can try ti guess.. Based on stress on CMP QL and no words MBEANS + stress on "Ant tasks (servicegen) that take any J2EE components and turn them into Web services" it easily mighr be finished at WLS 6.1 times and printed same time with 7.0 betta :)
  4. Glossy review[ Go to top ]

A really bad review. It just outlines the chapters. Especially, I do not see where this really is any better than the online documentation that is quite good in its own right.
  5. Bad review of a review[ Go to top ]

A really bad review. It just outlines the chapters. Especially, I do not see where this really is any better than the online documentation that is quite good in its own right.
    This was a bad review of the review, I think it was too short.

Sorry, just couldn't resist :-)

Regards,
    Mattias
  6. Bad review of a review[ Go to top ]

was a bad review of the review, I think it was too short.Sorry, just couldn't resist :-)Regards,Mattias
    No, I think if a review starts by telling me chapter a does this, then chapter b does this etc. without pointing out any particular value to me, than the review of the review was rather to long. But anything shorter would be a serious insult for me making to waste my time :-)
  7. Bad review of a review[ Go to top ]

Ho, ho!

But there were several instances where the review author said (paraphrasing here): "Yeah, it reminded me about that project we did. Cool".
    Well, what happened on the project?
    Which good experiences did the book tell you about?
    I've just learned absolutely nothing!

Compare: I went on holiday. We did loads of things that were cool.

With: On our holiday, I thoroughly enjoyed abseiling down cliffs, narrowly avoiding the stop at the bottom. But what was really cool was the parascending from the back of the boat, but I got my feet wet, which I didn't enjoy.

I hope you'll agree the second is a bit more informative?! ;)
  8. i can say that i have the 8.1 server unleashed book. it's huge and thick. it goes into stuff like what is xml, the xml definition and such, but glosses completely over a lot of weblogic specific stuff.

it's nothing more than a desk ornament for me, a wasted 50$ or so. i bought it because it was thick and i though it would cover _everything_ related to weblogic. i've got other books to cover ejb2.0, xml, web services specification, etc, etc. lovely weblogic. heck, in my experience, a week at weblogic trainning covers more about the specs they implement than using their server.
  9. However, the book does Rock[ Go to top ]

I bought the book a few weeks ago and I've found it a very good read. I've been using WLS for a few years now and where the docs are sprawling and vague, this book is very concise. It may be a bit too concise if you're just starting out, but I would recommend it for first-time users anyway… you're going to need it eventually.

I've read the clustering and domain management sections closely and found them very informative, even after official BEA training on the subject.

For the record, the book covers WLS versions 7.* and 8.* with very little mention on earlier versions.
  10. Hi everyone. As the author of the review, I just want to thank everyone for the comments on the review. Great feedback and really helpful. All valid points and I hope to rewrite and enhance the review on my blog. I really loved the book and don’t want this review to take away from that. I’ve been working with WebLogic since 1999 and I still learn something new from this book everyday.

I always find large books suspicious, as a lot of them will include 400 pages of JavaDoc or other API reprint to make the book appear larger. This book comes in at 848 pages and I wanted to demonstrate each chapter had a ton of value and the book had content in all of its pages. Any rate, it’s a great book and I cannot rave about it enough.

Cheers

--Vinny Carpenter
    http://www.j2eegeek.com/blog/