Discussions

EJB design: Why Rational Rose?

1. Why Rational Rose? (3 messages)

Recently I have been told that Rational Rose is no longer good for drawing class diagram. Is it true?
    Rambabu Nagoor

Threaded Messages (3)

2. Why Rational Rose?[ Go to top ]

Try Poseidon UML. It's much less expensive and easier to use than Rational. Personally I try to avoid IBM/Rational offerings and instead give my business to the little guys.
  3. Why Rational Rose?[ Go to top ]

rose is very good
  4. Why Rational Rose?[ Go to top ]

Requirement Management tools will increase requirements definition phase by:

providing more administrative functions for BA's

overcomplicating the simple analyst activities (Adam & eve stages of scratching around drawing models)

creates more documents

decreases productivity with unnecessary system burdens

employing a very user unfriendly interface for end users

irritating to use, very idiosyncratic

Other points:
    Respected industry professionals steer clear of these tools (such as Craig Larman)

Software development is not predictive manufacturing but new product development, therefore re-use at best is negligible

Low tech tools such as paper and pens are faster, easy to use and can be performed anywhere

BA's typically talk, workshop and write up requirements, therefore MS Word is perfect for this

Customers buy working software, not glossy specs or models

Facilitates documentation development, not software development!

Software development is about great people working close, not great tools working for "me".

In the wash up it won't improve software end products for customers. People and OO training do!

Creates:
    beaurocratic steps just to set up and maintain documents

has many unnecessary "add ins" such as advanced traceability and version control.

most source code it generates is unusable

Cons:
    Doesn't control scope, just creates more hurdles to document and maintain scope

Are over-priced drawing tools with sub standard workflow

Is incredibly expensive per staff head

Conflicts with many departments use of a document repository