Discussions

News: BEA to announce new open source strategy at eWorld

1. BEA is going to announce some interesting plans at BEA eWorld in a couple of weeks. Although they haven't made the announcement, it seems from comments that they will be opening up BEA Workshop. Who knows how much of it will be open sourced... but it will be interesting to find out!

Quotes from CEO Alfred Chuang
    "I think the opportunity and also the challenge at hand is how do we continue to proliferate Workshop in an exponential way," Chuang said. "We are thinking about several things to do. I think we're looking at continuing to share our technology so other people can implement [Java] using our technology to adapt their tools to their back-end systems. We are looking at how we [can] reach a larger group of constituencies that tend to program to this stuff."

"We are looking at a variety of different things that we can contribute [to the development community]," Chuang said. "Some of them will be specs, and some of them will be code that will give access for people to know all the underpinnings of Workshop so they will feel very comfortable to build on it or below it. You'll see in the next few months that anybody can do anything to Workshop fundamentally from a systems software perspective, not only the end-user perspective."
    Read more at BEA Eyes the Open Road
  2. weblogic gives some ant tools for managing "stuff" but they're only supported by their version of ant. how about giving these tools to the apache folks and supporting them?

how about providing support for xdoclet and cactus (insert your highly used source project here) with your lastest and _greatest_ server version.
  3. weblogic gives some ant tools for managing "stuff" but they're only supported by their version of ant. how about giving these tools to the apache folks and supporting them?how about providing support for xdoclet and cactus (insert your highly used source project here) with your lastest and _greatest_ server version.
    By the way, using the WLS Ant tasks don't require using their embedded Ant distribution (although the documentation may lead you in this direction). You just have to have the proper "taskdef" lines in your build script. The slightly tricky part is figuring out what class the task represents.
  4. Some of them do[ Go to top ]

WLAppc does not depend on the Weblogic supplied version of Andt, and WLDeploy does not either, but for some reason WLConfig does, and I could not really get WLServer to do something useful either, although it did something. Maybe you know something I don't. :)
  5. Read their Ant startup script and you'll see how you can break dependency on their supplied version of Ant. For example, one thing is that they assume the Ant libs are in $ANT_DIR/lib/ant as opposed to just $ANT_DIR/lib like the normal Ant distribution. Modifying these settings can solve most of the problems.
  6. I am refering to the posts about ant tasks in wls8.1. I am currently handling migration from wls6.1 to wls8.1 sp2 and have something to share about the ant tasks.

1. Wls8.1 internally uses ant 1.5.3. You can find the version from
       weblogic81\server\lib\ant\ant.jar.
    2. If you are using jdk 1.4.2 sp4 with Wls8.1, you can use only version 1.5.3
       for ant. Nothing higher or lower.
    3. Wlappc is another issue. It worked for compiling ejbs. For jsps, it was
       creating recursive directories without any meaning. This in turn creates a
       new problem for windows. Windows doesn't recognize the long path of the
       recursive directories and hence can't delete the weird chain of directories.
       Bea support suggested me to use the weblogic.ejbc and weblogic.jspc and not
       to use the new wlappc.

Cheers,

Abbas
  7. I don't think Workshop as an environment is something people are itching to get their hands on. But... if you break up Workshop into its component parts and opensource the helpful stuff that uses meta-tagging and proprietary code generators such as Pageflow and controls, I think you have some cool stuff. I would like their JSP editor to be open as well along with the netui tags. I am less inclined to use them if they stay proprietary.

The first thing I would do is integrate it all into Eclipse to get the better editor and more plugins (larger plug-in developer-base). This is not a dis on BEA. They have written some cool plugins for Workshop. But to be VB-like there must be only one IDE. I think it is in BEA's best interest to stay open (use Eclipse) as long as they can integrate their roundtrip capabilities and other diddies into Eclipse. I don't know the politics but it appears IBM has ceded control.

Think plugins not power strip.
  8. BEA, STAX[ Go to top ]

Is BEA still planning to contribute their STAX source code to Codehaus?

http://dev2dev.bea.com/technologies/stax/index.jsp

http://stax.codehaus.org/
  9. Hi All,

The STAX RI is now opensourced at codehaus. The infrastructure is in place but the code is not available through cvs yet (just p4). I have put up a simple todo page and backpointers to the bea dev2dev pages. You can also follow whats going on at:

stax_builders at yahoogroups dot com

Thanks,

Chris

(STAX Spec Lead)
  10. Gorgeous L&F[ Go to top ]

Wonder if they'll open source the wonderful Swing Look and Feel of WL Workshop. I think it is the best looking Swing application out there.
  11. One thing that allways struck me as a shame is the fact that weblogic workshops apps basically only run on bea appservers. According to this person that is about to change since they want release their framework, wich sits on top of the weblogic server, as open source. This would then mean you can run application code generated trough weblogic workshop on any appserver you want !

Good news if they do this, since there are some nice features in the combination weblogic workshop and this framework. Maybe infused by the upcoming release of sun's creator but hey that still has a long long way to go in comparison with weblogic workshop in my book !

Greetz
    Leo
  12. According to this person that is about to change since they want release their framework, wich sits on top of the weblogic server, as open source. This would then mean you can run application code generated trough weblogic workshop on any appserver you want!
    They did exactly that. I saw the demo running on Tomcat. Currently it runs on that only, but the runtime's source is going to be published under Apache licence, so you can port it to whatever you want. See Project Beehive homepage