Discussions

Performance and scalability: JVM in WebSphere 5.1

1. JVM in WebSphere 5.1 (5 messages)

Hello Group,

I am using WebSphere 5.1 for Solaris with Java Version 1.4.1. I am confused about the JVM used for this Appserver. How do i find whether the JVM is Sun Provided or IBM Provided?.

In the Server Startup Log i see, "SUN Hot Spot Version". Does looking JVM.cfg would help?..

Please help.

Thanks,
    -Jamil.

Threaded Messages (5)

2. WebSphere uses Sun JVM[ Go to top ]

Hi Jamil!

I used to work at Sun and I actually was part of the team that was pushing for the 1.4 JVM support in WebSphere 5.1.

But anyway, by default WebSphere uses the Sun JVM.

--Joe
  3. WebSphere uses Sun JVM[ Go to top ]

Joe - Thanks for the info, Just want to make sure

I checked the Java_Home used by Websphere Appserver Startup script and it has /apps/WebSphere51/AppServer/java/jre.

when i give Java -version from the bin folder, i get the following

--java version "1.4.1_05"
    --Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.1_05-b01)
    --Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.1_05-b01, mixed mode)

I believe this confirms this Appserver is using Sun Hot SPot VM instead of IBM's VM.

Thanks in Advance.
  4. Hi,
    as far as I know all Version of IBM WebSphere use a Sun JDK on Solaris because IBM doesn't provide a JDK for Solaris.

Carsten
  5. JVM in WebSphere 5.1[ Go to top ]

Hold on. I keep going back and forth with my architects about this. But when I do a java -version I get:

Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (IBM build 1.4.1_05-b01)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.1_05-b01, mixed mode)

So while it may be Sun's java code it is a IBM build and supposedly with an IBM wrinkle or two, like RMIC.
  6. Portal Search and Solaris[ Go to top ]

Hi Jamil,
    Are you using Portal Search Engine in your Solaris environment? We are experiencing a lot of problems with performance when categorising and/or summarising. Any comment?
    cheers
    Gregg