JVM in WebSphere 5.1

Performance and scalability: JVM in WebSphere 5.1

1. JVM in WebSphere 5.1 (5 messages)

Hello Group,

I am using WebSphere 5.1 for Solaris with Java Version 1.4.1. I am confused about the JVM used for this Appserver. How do i find whether the JVM is Sun Provided or IBM Provided?.

In the Server Startup Log i see, "SUN Hot Spot Version". Does looking JVM.cfg would help?..

Please help.

Threaded Messages (5)

2. WebSphere uses Sun JVM[ Go to top ]

Hi Jamil!

I used to work at Sun and I actually was part of the team that was pushing for the 1.4 JVM support in WebSphere 5.1.

But anyway, by default WebSphere uses the Sun JVM.

3. WebSphere uses Sun JVM[ Go to top ]

Joe - Thanks for the info, Just want to make sure

I checked the Java_Home used by Websphere Appserver Startup script and it has /apps/WebSphere51/AppServer/java/jre.

when i give Java -version from the bin folder, i get the following

--java version "1.4.1_05"
    --Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.1_05-b01)
    --Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.1_05-b01, mixed mode)

I believe this confirms this Appserver is using Sun Hot SPot VM instead of IBM's VM.

Thanks in Advance.
  4. Hi,
    as far as I know all Version of IBM WebSphere use a Sun JDK on Solaris because IBM doesn't provide a JDK for Solaris.

5. JVM in WebSphere 5.1[ Go to top ]

Hold on. I keep going back and forth with my architects about this. But when I do a java -version I get:

Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (IBM build 1.4.1_05-b01)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.1_05-b01, mixed mode)

So while it may be Sun's java code it is a IBM build and supposedly with an IBM wrinkle or two, like RMIC.
  6. Portal Search and Solaris[ Go to top ]

Hi Jamil,
    Are you using Portal Search Engine in your Solaris environment? We are experiencing a lot of problems with performance when categorising and/or summarising. Any comment?