Discussions

News: Eclipse 3.0 M9 (a.k.a RC 0) Released

1. Eclipse 3.0 M9 (a.k.a RC 0) Released (26 messages)

The Eclipse foundation has released M9, or RC0. According to the plan, the 3.0 release is now in "end game" mode. The new features in this release are many, including uber-CVS abilities, semantic highlighting, code folding, and early access support for JDK 1.5 features.

Read the Eclipse 3.0 M9 Release notes

View the Eclipse 3.0 Endgame Plan

Threaded Messages (26)

2. Thanks a lot ....[ Go to top ]

You guys and Apache group are best.
  3. Checkstyle plugin[ Go to top ]

It's not an Apache project...

By the way, the checkstyle plugin won't work out-of-the-box. You'll have to copy the plugins/org.apache.xerces_4.0.13 folder from M7/M8 to M9, since it has been removed in this release.
  4. Folding, ABOUT TIME.[ Go to top ]

I am glad to finally see folding. Good job:)
  5. Precautions[ Go to top ]

If you're not doing that already, be sure to back up your .metadata folder in your workspace directory and export your preferences to a file and then import them after running M9.

Currently it appears that CDT and AJDT will not work with M9. Does anyone known if Omondo UML Enterprise Edition is supported by M9?
  6. There are two checkstyle plugins... which one are you referring to (or will both of them not work)

I digress here, but do you have a preference between the two plugins in terms of features?
  7. Checkstyle plugin[ Go to top ]

It's not an Apache project...By the way, the checkstyle plugin won't work out-of-the-box. You'll have to copy the plugins/org.apache.xerces_4.0.13 folder from M7/M8 to M9, since it has been removed in this release.
    I know that. I said you guys ( meaning eclipse) and apache guys are the best.
    Dont think too much. just let it go ...
  8. Checkstyle plugin[ Go to top ]

Are you serious? Eclipse is used in a production environment world-wide, and continues to get better with every release. New releases don't break your existing builds and the project is well documented. How is this in any way similar to Apache?
  9. Chill out[ Go to top ]

The original poster where referring to the Apache group (www.apache.org). They have without doubts created some pretty serious and helpfull stuff. As the Eclipse group are.

That was all that was said from the original poster and to that I can only agree wholeheartedly.
  10. Are you serious? Eclipse is used in a production environment world-wide, and continues to get better with every release. New releases don't break your existing builds and the project is well documented. How is this in any way similar to Apache?
    The height of the arrogance of some individuals of this community boggles the mind !!!. I consider it a compliment on the part of the Eclipse team to be compared with such a great group as Apache.

The scoffers should consider that Apache does not have the benefit of a super sugardaddy that Eclipse enjoys (even though its been set free of late its still got as much independence as a supermarket trolley).

Maybe when Eclipse can hold a candle to Intellij and even Jbuilder (foundation) and prove as indispensable as Apache then its supporters can scoff, till then they should do us a favour and shut their arrogant gob.
  11. Hi :
    I downloaded the solareclipse_0.4.1 for jsp/XML. But if plugins exist xerces_4.0.13, the Eclipse 3.0 could not open the jsp/XMl files. Please help me.

Best Regards,
    Hiko 2004/07/15
  12. Good news for those of us who preferred the old interface. It's now possible to select between the old and new interface. To get the old look just go to Workbench > Appearance > and change the Current Presentation preference setting to "R21Presentation".
  13. I can't seem to get it to work just now...probably from the huge number of people hitting the eclipse site...but it appears that there is support for updating the core functionality of eclipse through eclipse update manager. Yippie. Now if this runs in the background it will be wonderful.
    Michael
  14. I'm still missing proper tab indenting. It's not working properly and the Eclipse developers have a
    hard time understanding the problem. They say: "It's actually not broken but works as designed."
    http://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=45499
  15. Can it work with file system?

I just tried it. It seems to create its own copy of source files somewhere in workspace. Is it true, or just my observation?

I'm using JBuilder and used to the fact that I have control over my *.java fiels.
    Also, Eclipse 2.1.3 has no such problems and has references to the existing *.java files (instead of copying).

Anyone can explain the diff between Eclipse 2.x and 3.x?
  16. Eclipse 3.0 M9 (a.k.a RC 0) Released[ Go to top ]

I just tried it. It seems to create its own copy of source files somewhere in workspace. Is it true, or just my observation?

Use "Create project at external location".
  17. M9 and sysdeo tomcat plugin[ Go to top ]

Yesterday (2004-05-24) I spent a whole afternoon working with M9 and sysdeo tomcat plugin. The result is disappointed.

M8 supports sysdeo-Tomcat-PluginV221.zip with jakarta-tomcat-4.1.30 and everything seems fine. But M9 does not work with sysdeo-Tomcat-PluginV221.zip.

I searched and found sysdeo delivered another two packages to support M9:
    - com.sysdeo.eclipse.tomcat_2.2.1-je1-3M9.zip
    - com.sysdeo.eclipse.tomcat_3.0.0.alpha1

Then I can install plugin in M9 and do configurations.

But unfortunately, when I set breakpoints in Servlet or JSP generated Servlet, eclipse M9 seems to stop or step on in debugging, but without any highlight of line and no mouse tips of variables.

What changes make M9 being so imcompatible with sysdeo tomcat plugin?? Although a lot of features are attrative, but when doing web application development, I have to revert back to former version of eclipse.

Sheng
  18. M9 and sysdeo tomcat plugin[ Go to top ]

Keep in mind that these are not final releases, they are considered stable integration builds. Eclipse has not been guaranteeing compatibility between M-releases, because the 3.0 release is in development. From M9 on to the final release, no new features are supposed to be added, so there's a good chance now that what works with M9 will work up to and including the final release, but there still are no guarantees.

Just pointing out that it's not a fault of Eclipse that plugins that tried to keep up with the M-releases break after another M. Of course, it'd be nice if it was designed that way, but I think they like refactoring too much... =)
  19. Eclipse 3.0 M9 (a.k.a RC 0) Released[ Go to top ]

Honestly I cannot understand why some of java developers love eclipse so much. I know that it’s free, there are so much plug-in (free and commercial). I think netbeans 3.6 is better in many aspects (at least when you got it you can start your work.). I myself use jbuilder X.
    And currently with jdk 1.5 there is not a big different between swt and swing except that swt is not standard and i like swing so much.
  20. it sucks
  21. Eclipse 3.0 M9 (a.k.a RC 0) Released[ Go to top ]

Still can't configure to use DOS or UNIX eol. The original bug was submitted in 2001 (yes THREE years ago in an Internet age), and has since kept been pushed back. It severely discourages any team that need to work on hetrogenous development platforms from using Eclipse. It's ironical to see so many team oriented features added to Eclipse in all these years, yet such a fundamental issue has been around almost long enough to qualify for an IBM long-term service award.
  22. Eclipse 3.0 M9 (a.k.a RC 0) Released[ Go to top ]

Just wanted to add that, while being frustrated about the EOL bug, I still very much liked M9. Folding is very nice.
  23. How can they possibly only have a single row of editor tabs!?!?!? And now it automatically closes files!?!? I dont' get it.
  24. How can they possibly only have a single row of editor tabs!?!?!? And now it automatically closes files!?!? I dont' get it.
    Exactly and that's very annoying. But otherwise hopefully it will be much better than M8 which let me down on few occasssions.
  25. 50 percent right[ Go to top ]

You can turn off the editor closing in Preferences->Workbench->Editors...uncheck "Close editors automatically".
    Can't help with the other problem...ctrl-e or ctrl-shift-e is your friend? ;)
  26. How can they possibly only have a single row of editor tabs!?!?!? And now it automatically closes files!?!? I dont' get it.
    Exactly and that's very annoying. But otherwise hopefully it will be much better than M8 which let me down on few occasssions.
    I've got quite used to it, when it becomes unclear remember you can Ctrl + F6 to bring up the editer list and select from there, and it quite intelligently places recently used files close to hand :)

Well done Eclipse team - you've alot of fans in this office!
  27. Thank you Eclipse team![ Go to top ]

1. Just gotta say that the new syntax coloring features kicks major ass. Just as an example, to always be aware if a variable in a method is class wide, locally declared or method parameter by their colours is a major improvement. Another example, higligting all exit points (returns) with bright red makes you cringe for every method that does not have a single exit point. Almost forces you to rewrite the method just by the look of it.

2. The level to which you can make the compiler scream for incorrect coding practises and errors just amazes me. Just crank every setting as high as possible and watch the problem bar fill with incorrect coding practises. Well, already done that with earlier versions, otherwise... Hmmmm. I just might pull down some Apache project and import it just for the fun of it to see what the compiler will discover...

3. Refactoring - As always, state of the art