how to improve performance

Discussions

EJB programming & troubleshooting: how to improve performance

1. how to improve performance (5 messages)

Hi
    I need to improve the performance of my application. We have around 140plus 1.1 CMP enterprise baens and 40 stateless session beans. A average form access around 5-8 each. The application has been slowing down ever since it was developed. Any new functionality added leads to slower performance. We strictly follow the MVC architecture and follow the same design pattern. It runs on websphere 5 DB2 8.1. I am confused on how to reduce the high CPU utilization of the application. Should i concentrate on changing Websphere configurations or think of changing the application design, etc. I have no idea how can i improve in either of the two. pls help as i cannot experiment much because of the application size.

thanks

Threaded Messages (5)

2. how to improve performance[ Go to top ]

hi,

check out this link :

http://www.precisejava.com/javaperf/j2ee/EJB.htm

Bhagvan K
    http://www.architectcorner.com
  3. how to improve performance[ Go to top ]

The precisejava link above is an excellent link. The only thing I can suggest on top of that is that before making any changes you might want to do a few things:

1) take a measurement of some sort ot use as a performance benchmark. If you tweak the configuration you will then have a baseline to compare to to know if things are getting better or worse.

2) use a tool such as JProbe to understand exactly where the CPU utiilization is occurring. And then focus there.

Mike Foley
  4. how to improve performance[ Go to top ]

thanks a lot it is really informative link
  5. WLS/J2EE requirement[ Go to top ]

J2EE/WLS Infrastructure Admin:

Must haves:
    - Overall 5-6+ yrs. experience
    - Good experience of BEA weblogic Administration, versions 6.1 to 7.0 to 8.1....2-3 years desirable....Clustering knowledge will be helpful
    -Hands on experience of Solaris platform
    -Good understanding of J2EE space...servlets/JSP/EJBs/JDBC/JMS etc.
    -Good understanding of oracle database and JDBC communication.
    -Good client handling, communication and troubleshooting skills

Differentiators:
    Performance tuning tools like Jprobe/optimizeit
    General J2EE application performance tuning.
    Load Testing experience with tools as Loadrunner etc.

Nice-to-Haves:
    Some experience in monitoring tools as sitescope, topaz etc.
    Shell scripting
    Java/J2EE Development.

It's a great opportunity for a fortune company in CT area and is a very stable consulting contract which goes until end of Dec 2004 and has a great chance for going through the next whole year.

People who are willing to switch employers need only apply. will process H1 visa. Please email your resumes ASAP to wlsjobs@yahoo.com
  6. how to improve performance[ Go to top ]

There are many options to consider when tuning WebSphere performance, such as: heap size, thread pool size, turning off explicit GC (in the code), and/or possibly disabling major GC altogether.

Idle session timeout values as well as KeepAlive settings are also important to keep in mind.

One feature people often overlook is that tuning the TCP stack of the OS on which this is running with the timeout and keepalive values is important to minimize lost connections.

Balancing between the right number of JVM clones and memory per JVM can also be very productive; for example, if you have 10GB of memory on the machine, you might want to have 4 JVMs with 2GB each or 8 JVMs with 1GB each, or something in between.

It's a matter of making a list of parameters/settings to modify and going down the list after changing each one and observing the behavior after a test run.